PDA

View Full Version : hpsetup WiFi

br1anc
Feb 4, 2008, 05:57 PM
in my school, there is a WiFi Connection named hpsetup and the connection is 3/3 bars. i can get onto google maps and use it w/o a problem but i cant do anything else that requires internet i.e. safari, mail, stocks, and weather. i dont know what kind of WiFi hpsetup is, but when i go to settings-WiFi-and i click on the little blue arrow next to hpsetp, at the bottom of the page, it says "renew lease" when i click on it, it then says, "are you sure you want to renew lease?" but i havent said yes to it yet. does "renew lease" mean that i have to pay for it then or will the person w/ the connection have to pay for it?

thanks in advance for the help.

RodThePlod
Feb 4, 2008, 06:17 PM
does "renew lease" mean that i have to pay for it then or will the person w/ the connection have to pay for it?

Nope - it's nothing to do with paying. Essentially when your iPod touch connects to the school network, it's assigned an IP address. This is a unique address that enables your touch to access the network and be identified on the network. You've probably seen IP addresses in the form: 192.168.1.1 or something similar where the figures can vary.

Your touch is most probably assigned it's IP address by a server on the school network called a DHCP server. These addresses are 'leased' meaning that your IP address might be different every time you connect to that network. This depends on how your network is configured. As the IP addresses change because you only have them for a period of time, we say they are 'leased'.

If you press the 'Renew Lease' option on your touch, it will forget about the IP address it's currently using to connect to the network and request a new one from the DHCP server. Doing this may fix any connection issues you are experiencing and allow you to access Safari, stocks, etc. although this is not guaranteed. It's certainly worth a try anyway.

Good luck,

Rod.

br1anc
Feb 4, 2008, 06:31 PM
ok, thanks for the reply ill try that in school tomorrow, but hpsetup isnt the school network. there is also a WiFi called wcpsbg which is locked and has a password (dont know the pw). does that change anything

RodThePlod
Feb 5, 2008, 04:15 PM
ok, thanks for the reply ill try that in school tomorrow, but hpsetup isnt the school network. there is also a WiFi called wcpsbg which is locked and has a password (dont know the pw). does that change anything

Technically no - it doesn't change anything. Morally? that's up to you. From your initial post, I thought this was your school's network you were connecting to. However, it sounds like you're not sure who owns it.

In this case, I'd personally be reluctant to attempt to use it - I haven't paid for it, after all - but that's just me. Others will be happy to use the network if they can connect to it - but that's just them :rolleyes:

Rod.