PDA

View Full Version : Complete Steps to Perform a Clean OS X Reinstall on Your MacBook Air

clayj
Feb 4, 2008, 06:20 PM
NOTE: The most up-to-date steps are available in the following Guide entry: http://guides.macrumors.com/Complete_Steps_to_Perform_a_Clean_OS_X_Reinstall_on_Your_MacBook_Air. Please feel free to post your questions and comments in this thread.

This guide is provided in order to make it easier for you to free up valuable hard drive/SSD space on your MacBook Air by reinstalling OS X with only the components that you really need. It is recommended that you perform these steps before you install a bunch of applications and data files, because these steps will reset your MBA's hard drive/SSD completely.

STEPS TO PERFORM A CLEAN INSTALL:

Insert your OS X DVD #1 into your SuperDrive (if you have one) or external, shared DVD drive (you must have set this up previously, following Apple's instructions and using the OS X DVD #1 in your remote machine to install Remote Disc).

Shut down your MacBook Air. Then, turn it back on and hold down either the C key (SuperDrive) or the Option key (Remote Disc) to boot from the OS X DVD. The Apple logo will come up and the "processing" whirly thing will go for a while (a few minutes, in my case).

The screen will eventually turn blue, and then you will see the nebula wallpaper and be prompted to select a language. Click "Use English for the main language", or select your appropriate language. Then, click the "-->" button. The Mac OS X Leopard Installer window will appear.

On the Utilities menu, click Disk Utility. The Installer window will disappear and the Disk Utility window will appear.

Once disk information has been gathered, select your hard drive. This will be the item ABOVE "Macintosh HD". In the case of a 64 GB SSD, the item should be called "55.9 GB MCCOE64GEMPP" or something similar.

Click Partition. Under Volume Scheme, select "1 Partition". In the Name box, type "Macintosh HD" or whatever you want your hard drive to be named. Then, click Apply. Click Partition to confirm repartitioning of the hard drive/SSD. It will take a few seconds for the drive to be partitioned. Once it's done, click Quit Disk Utility on the Disk Utility menu. The Disk Utility window will disappear and the Installer window will reappear.

NOTE: If you fail to perform steps 4-6, you will not have a clean install, and it is possible that you will not be able to prevent applications from being installed.

In the Installer window, click Continue. Click Agree to agree to the software license agreement (you can read it first if you really, really want to).

In the "Select a Destination" window, select your hard drive ("Macintosh HD" or whatever you called it). Click Continue.

In the Install Summary window, click Customize (lower-left corner of the dialog box).

In the list of Package Names, you can turn OFF (uncheck) any or all of the following items, depending on whether you think you will ever need them:

PRINTER DRIVERS (3.4 GB): You can opt to not install ANY printer drivers by clearing the Printer Drivers checkbox. You can also install just specific printer drivers by turning ON only the checkboxes for those printer drivers you think you might need (Hewlett-Packard, for example). In my test, I turned the Printer Drivers checkbox OFF and chose not to install ANY printer drivers; later on, I plan to manually install the printer drivers for my specific HP printer using the CD that came with the printer, and I don't need any other drivers.

ADDITIONAL FONTS (141 MB): I don't ever need Chinese, Korean, Arabic, Hebrew, Thai, Cyrillic (Russian), Devanagari, Gujarati, Punjabi, Tibetan, Armenian, Cherokee, or Inuktitut font support for my own use, but I occasionally do hit web sites that use one or more of these languages, and it's only 141 MB... so I left this checkbox turned ON. If you want to save 141 MB because you're sure you won't need this, you can turn the Additional Fonts checkbox OFF.

LANGUAGE TRANSLATIONS (1.8 GB): I definitely don't need any of these, so I turned OFF the Language Translations checkbox and chose not to install any of them. Individual languages may be installed by turning ON their checkboxes... each language is roughly 100 MB in size.

X11 (117 MB): This option allows you to run Linux and UNIX apps in OS X. I don't think I'll ever do this, but I left the option checked since it's only 117 MB. (EDIT: Thanks to mzd for explaining what this option does.)

BUNDLED APPLICATIONS (3 GB): This contains many separate items which you may or may not want to install:

CPU HELP FILES (262 MB): This is the user's manual for the MBA and for Leopard, so this is probably a good thing to install.

IWEB (290 MB): I don't use iWeb for web design. Ergo, I cleared the checkbox for iWeb and chose not to install it.

GARAGEBAND (1 GB): I don't really use GarageBand except to make ringtones for my iPhone... and I'll be doing that on my Mac Pro. So, I cleared the checkbox for GarageBand. Note that the "GarageBand Additional Instruments and Loops" option (1.3 GB) is turned OFF by default.

IDVD (559 MB): No built-in optical drive = no making DVDs on my MacBook Air, so I cleared the checkbox for iDVD. As with GarageBand, the "iDVD Extra Content" option (342 MB) is turned OFF by default.

IPHOTO (553 MB): This was a tough one for me. I don't plan on managing my photos on my MacBook Air, but I can see where I might want to at some point. So I left this checkbox turned ON.

IMOVIE (136 MB): As with iDVD, I can't see using iMovie on a machine with no optical drive built-in (although I suppose you could just author movies and then burn them when you get home). At any rate, I don't ever use iMovie, so I cleared its checkbox.

By my reckoning, turning OFF the items listed in blue above should have saved me 7200 MB or so (7 GB?) in disk space (actual numbers below).

Once you've made the changes you want, click Done. Then, click Install. Click Continue Installation once you verify you have both OS X DVDs.

You can click Skip if you want to skip the DVD consistency check. This will save you a lot of time in the installation process. I clicked Skip and was told that installation would take roughly 40 minutes to 1 hour.

When the Installer is done with OS X DVD #1, the MacBook Air will automatically restart and eject OS X DVD #1. When this occurs, go ahead and insert OS X DVD #2; YOU MAY NOT BE EXPLICITLY TOLD TO INSERT THE DVD. Insert the DVD and installation will continue automatically for about 10 to 20 more minutes. When installation is complete, you will be prompted to click Continue.

OS X DVD #2 will be ejected and your MacBook Air will automatically reboot and you will go through the normal first-time experience (selecting language, entering Apple ID, creating user account, etc.).

Following these steps, I went from:

FACTORY CONFIG
Used = 18,563,555,328 bytes
Free = 38.29 GB

to

CLEAN INSTALL
Used = 10,813,370,368 bytes
Free = 45.51 GB

for a total savings of 7.22 GB! That's almost a 19% increase in free disk space, and it only took about an hour and a half to do. Turning off other options which I chose to install might have saved me about 1 GB more.

Note that once you have installed the above, you will still need to install OS updates (OS X 10.5.2, etc.) and application updates using Software Update.

Hope these steps help... please post your comments here and I will update these steps as necessary.

MORE THINGS YOU CAN REMOVE MANUALLY:
Deleting the Alex voice (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4900967&postcount=32) (thanks to actuality for that tip) would free up almost another 700 MB, but this can be done at any later time. And using the steps that Salty Pirate documented (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4897099&postcount=16) below would free up another 2 GB, but I don't want my system crashing if I let the battery completely drain, so I am passing on that for now.

ADDING COMPONENTS BACK IN LATER ON:
If later on you want to install something you chose not to install using the above steps, you can insert the OS X DVD #1 into your DVD drive (SuperDrive or shared Remote Disc) and then double-click Optional Installs > Install Bundled Software Only > Continue > Continue > Customize. This will let you (re)install the CPU Help Files, iWeb, GarageBand, iDVD, iPhoto, and iMovie.

MORE WAYS TO SAVE SPACE:
Click here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=429956) for some handy information about how to store your files on a different machine and still be able to access them from your MBA.

treacle
Feb 4, 2008, 06:38 PM
It's worth doing this now when the MBA is new. Those few extra GB will mean alot more later and you will be glad you did this.

noservice2001
Feb 4, 2008, 08:18 PM
wow... this should be a sticky, and made into a printable version... nice

ubercool
Feb 4, 2008, 08:41 PM
Is it my imagination or is this the sloooooooooooowest process in the world? :(

MazingerZ
Feb 4, 2008, 08:43 PM
Is it my imagination or is this the sloooooooooooowest process in the world? :(

Huh? These are the steps to reinstall the OS. Nothing surprising on how long it takes.

matthewHUB
Feb 4, 2008, 08:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

anyone got any info on whether it's safe to delete the things the OP was unsure of? Like those help files? Etc?

Eric Lewis
Feb 4, 2008, 08:48 PM
yes stickie...people will ask this 100x times

maroulis
Feb 4, 2008, 09:17 PM
i'm about to scream.. migration assistant took forever over 802.11N and I decided to stop... Now doesn't boot up, I get a blue screen w/nothing on.. Trying to install remotely from my Macbook using the Macbook Air install CD 1 and running "Remote Install OS X", I select the CD it boots and then again the frickin blue screen w/nothing else !!!!

Any suggestions?

PS my apple store didn't have USB Drive

steve31
Feb 4, 2008, 09:27 PM
HEY a BIG thanxs to you "clayj" :D:D:DI have not got my 1.8 ssd yet but I will be using this as a guide when I get it. You saved me a lot of guess work.;)

Photography
Feb 4, 2008, 09:35 PM
Used this guide on my Air and it worked perfectly. :) Thanks clayj! This should be stickied, I agree.

aiongiant
Feb 4, 2008, 09:53 PM
wow awesome! i will def use this when i get my air hehe

thanks!

happyslayer
Feb 4, 2008, 10:39 PM
Wow... sweet post. I just ordered my new MBA 1.8/SSD tonight (about an hour ago!) and will be using this guide within minutes of opening the box!

I am a PC/Windows guy most of the time and reinstalling OS X for tightness is not my forte' so thank you so much!

loghyr
Feb 4, 2008, 11:50 PM
When the Installer is done with OS X DVD #1, the MacBook Air will automatically restart and eject OS X DVD #1. When this occurs, go ahead and insert OS X DVD #2; you will not be explicitly told to insert the DVD. Insert the DVD and installation will continue automatically for about 10 to 20 more minutes. When installation is complete, you will be prompted to click Continue.

Okay, it restarted and I didn't let it eject the first DVD. I went ahead and ejected it myself (too used to other OSes).

It went straight to the Welcome menu.

Do I have a failed install?

loghyr
Feb 4, 2008, 11:51 PM
Okay, it restarted and I didn't let it eject the first DVD. I went ahead and ejected it myself (too used to other OSes).

BTW I did not have it install iPhoto, but otherwise made the same selections.

I've got 9.2G used, which seems off.

You had 10.8 - .6 (for iPhoto) = 10.2G

I seem to be missing a G of stuff.

You don't need an Apple USB drive, I used a Sony 810U external drive. (Note that while it is nowhere near as portable as what Apple probably offers, the price was right - already paid for a couple of years ago. :cool:)

It did freeze the first time through saying to clean the media.

maroulis
Feb 5, 2008, 12:11 AM
i'm about to scream.. migration assistant took forever over 802.11N and I decided to stop... Now doesn't boot up, I get a blue screen w/nothing on.. Trying to install remotely from my Macbook using the Macbook Air install CD 1 and running "Remote Install OS X", I select the CD it boots and then again the frickin blue screen w/nothing else !!!!

Any suggestions?

this is insane... I still can't get it to work I must have tried over 30 times now from my macbook (latest revision) sharing the install DVD starting up holding down option key, selecting WLAN, etc then the disk which it can see...

only ONCE did it actually go through the proper set-up and then hang again..Am I the only one?

Salty Pirate
Feb 5, 2008, 12:21 AM
Here is another space saving tip....about 2GB.

The Macbook's come from the factory in hibernate mode 3. It writes the contents to the disk. That facilitates battery removal and replacement on MBP machines. Well we are never going to swap batteries, so hibernate mode 0, write to memory, makes more sense. You can also rm the disk space taken up by the hibernate image.

Follow these simple commands:

This command will tell you what mode you are in:

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

Then change to mode 0. A 3 will take you back to where you were.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

This command removes the sleep image and reclaims very valuable SSD space.

sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

reboot and you are done.

kkat69
Feb 5, 2008, 12:32 AM
[LIST=11]

Insert your OS X DVD #1 into your SuperDrive (if you have one) or external, shared DVD drive (you must have set this up previously).

With the exception of a few peculiars regarding the hardware specific drives (mainly the bold part in step 1 which didn't get into much detail), etc. Isn't this just a "clean install" of Leopard process? Something a lot of us have already done or should at least know how to install OSX. For that matter it's not even THAT Leopard specific.

Good job writing the stuff down though. Pretty much just the same way you would do a fresh install almost any OSX on any Mac.

If anything this should be (unless it already has something similar) stickied in just a Mac software location. It's not really MBA specific.

kyleen66
Feb 5, 2008, 06:14 AM
I'm sure this takes awhile.

How long is expected? I plan on doing this, but with my insane schedule, I need to plan the time.

Excellent info though! I appreciate it!

MacRumorUser
Feb 5, 2008, 06:29 AM
Cheer's for posting that Clayj... There will I imagine be a lot of posters requesting that info in the forthcoming days / weeks.

(I always do a fresh install on any mac hardware I get - execpt my macpro as I really didn't worry about 6-7gb on a main 500gb HDD ;) - but for laptops it's a must do for me.)

clayj
Feb 5, 2008, 07:04 AM

The Macbook's come from the factory in hibernate mode 3. It writes the contents to the disk. That facilitates battery removal and replacement on MBP machines. Well we are never going to swap batteries, so hibernate mode 0, write to memory, makes more sense. You can also rm the disk space taken up by the hibernate image.

reboot and you are done.Salty, good stuff. Can you also post the "reverse" steps for if someone wants to go from mode 0 back to mode 3? If you can, I will try both sets of steps and see about adding them to the master steps above as an option.

One question: If you switch to mode 0 and your battery totally dies, am I correct in assuming your computer will not hibernate, but simply crap out as if you had yanked the battery out while it was still running? If so, is that a big problem as far as the operating system or file integrity are concerned?

Thanks.

Salty Pirate
Feb 5, 2008, 07:43 AM
Executing this command will take you back to mode 3 and disk write sleep image:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

Yes, the one downside, if your battery completely dies, it would be like a system crash. Perhaps battery conditioning should be done before this change is made.

Just remember, in mode 3, your sleepimage on the disk will be close to the size of system RAM, in our case 2 GB.

noservice2001
Feb 5, 2008, 07:56 AM

reboot and you are done.

can you explain how to get to this menu? er. how to get to "command"?

and why won't the mods want to make this a sticky? this is top notch info... its even grammar fixed and everything

MacRumorUser
Feb 5, 2008, 07:57 AM
can you explain how to get to this menu? er. how to get to "command"?

Use Terminal in the Utilities folder in Applications.

noservice2001
Feb 5, 2008, 09:00 AM
Use Terminal in the Utilities folder in Applications.

oh, its like dos... coolness!

kming05
Feb 5, 2008, 09:28 AM
hey everyone. sorry i'm a mac newbie, but i'm wondering if there is another way to just delete some of the bundled applciations without doing a fresh reinstall?

clayj
Feb 5, 2008, 09:31 AM
hey everyone. sorry i'm a mac newbie, but i'm wondering if there is another way to just delete some of the bundled applciations without doing a fresh reinstall?The problem is that the applications have a lot of support files scattered around various locations on the system. So deleting the GarageBand program from the Applications folder may kill the app, but it leaves a lot of crap behind. It would take more time to find and eliminate all of that than it would to just do a fresh install and choose specifically what you want.

I agree that it would be nice if Apple would have something similar to Windows' control panel which allows you to remove and reinstall Windows components... but that would be counter to the Apple "It just works" philosophy, which dictates that you have EVERYTHING installed up-front so it's there if and when you need it (e.g., 3.4 GB worth of printer drivers).

PS: Glad you all like the thread. It took a while to write all that stuff up, but I knew it would come in handy.

ViperrepiV
Feb 5, 2008, 09:37 AM
The problem is that the applications have a lot of support files scattered around various locations on the system. So deleting the GarageBand program from the Applications folder may kill the app, but it leaves a lot of crap behind. It would take more time to find and eliminate all of that than it would to just do a fresh install and choose specifically what you want.

I agree that it would be nice if Apple would have something similar to Windows' control panel which allows you to remove and reinstall Windows components... but that would be counter to the Apple "It just works" philosophy, which dictates that you have EVERYTHING installed up-front so it's there if and when you need it (e.g., 3.4 GB worth of printer drivers).

PS: Glad you all like the thread. It took a while to write all that stuff up, but I knew it would come in handy.

It will be very useful, so thank you once again!

diabolic
Feb 5, 2008, 11:49 AM
My SSD shows 46.05 GB free after doing this. I zapped all the optional stuff, printer drivers, and languages.

Alfadoc
Feb 5, 2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks, clayj.

This combined with a streamlined XP install under Boot Camp will make me set!

-Peter

miloquacious
Feb 5, 2008, 12:16 PM
hey everyone. sorry i'm a mac newbie, but i'm wondering if there is another way to just delete some of the bundled applciations without doing a fresh reinstall?

it won't work for uninstalling language, printer drivers ... but i've use AppZapper. haven't tried removing apple apps, but it works well for others.

MacRumorUser
Feb 5, 2008, 12:21 PM
it won't work for uninstalling language....

^ you could use monolingual to do that ;)

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

actuality
Feb 5, 2008, 12:52 PM
If you want to get rid of another 670Mb dump the Alex voice from /System/Library/Speech/Voices

mzd
Feb 5, 2008, 01:40 PM
X11 is needed if you want to run linux/unix apps on your mac (like OpenOffice, etc.)

clayj
Feb 5, 2008, 01:43 PM
X11 is needed if you want to run linux/unix apps on your mac (like OpenOffice, etc.)Cool, that's what I needed to know. I will update the steps when I get a chance!

ViperrepiV
Feb 5, 2008, 01:46 PM
If you want to get rid of another 670Mb dump the Alex voice from /System/Library/Speech/Voices

what is the Alex voice?

mashoutposse
Feb 5, 2008, 02:04 PM
excellent thread guys

Phills
Feb 5, 2008, 02:50 PM
This post is brillant. Many thanks. You convince me to go for the MBA SSD

clayj
Feb 6, 2008, 09:09 AM
what is the Alex voice?The Mac has a voice feature where the computer can read stuff to you that's on the screen. There are several different voices you can choose from. Apparently, the Alex voice is a rather large one (I am guessing it sounds better than the others).

Hopefully tonight I will have a chance to look into this, as well as the "disable hibernate" option which can save you 2 GB of space. I'll report my findings in the top post in this thread.

One thing I will definitely be doing is looking into sharing my iTunes library from my Mac Pro to my MBA... copying all 35 GB of my music onto the MBA has left me a scant 5 GB of free space, and that simply won't do. (One nice thing about getting a machine with less storage space is that it forces you to think about new ways to distribute your data between systems. I may end up with a single iTunes repository which ALL of my machines can access.)

loghyr
Feb 6, 2008, 11:47 AM

As a follow-up, no, it was not a failed install.

I did it again and the screen said that the installation was done. I must have avoided everything on the second disk.

Start to finish this was done in under 30 minutes on the 80G HD with a USB attached DVD unit.

Alfadoc
Feb 6, 2008, 03:44 PM
Start to finish this was done in under 30 minutes on the 80G HD with a USB attached DVD unit.

Hah! Took me another two and a half hours to apply all of the Windows Updates, restart half a million times, add Acrobat Reader, Flash and Java and strip more stuff out of the XP install with the free version of XPLite.

That said, I now have iPhoto and iWeb on OS X taking up 10.8GB on a 50GB partition and 7 GB of XP with Media Player and all of the stuff I need to run on a 25GB FAT32 partition. I guess I'm set. Thanks for the clean-up guide, clayj.

Reminds me why I don't build PC's anymore! :mad:

devilot
Feb 6, 2008, 04:52 PM
First of all, I'm convinced I'll get an Air and this is a great compilation of info for folks who've never customized an OSX install, so shanks!

And then, I'm tempted to do this:
Here is another space saving tip... ...but on my MB. No, I do not swap batteries, no I do not run the sucker down (juice-wise). Would this 1) work on the MB and 2) be advisable?

I ask because it has the same amount of storage, 80GB and it'd be helpful since I just upgraded it to Leopard-- to remove some of the OS bloat. :o

Salty Pirate
Feb 6, 2008, 07:55 PM
First of all, I'm convinced I'll get an Air and this is a great compilation of info for folks who've never customized an OSX install, so shanks!

And then, I'm tempted to do this:
...but on my MB. No, I do not swap batteries, no I do not run the sucker down (juice-wise). Would this 1) work on the MB and 2) be advisable?

I ask because it has the same amount of storage, 80GB and it'd be helpful since I just upgraded it to Leopard-- to remove some of the OS bloat. :o

I ran my MBP in mode 0 for the past 6 months with no adverse issues. Last night, I let the battery completely run down, and the machine went to sleep. I did not have to re-boot once I recharged it. pretty cool. Right now, I have 16.94 GB free. Loving life.

clayj
Feb 6, 2008, 08:03 PM
I ran my MBP in mode 0 for the past 6 months with no adverse issues. Last night, I let the battery completely run down, and the machine went to sleep. I did not have to re-boot once I recharged it. pretty cool. Right now, I have 16.94 GB free. Loving life.Now when you say it "went to sleep", does that mean when you powered it back on, it was like starting up from being turned off? Or did it come back with all of your apps and stuff still running? I'm just trying to figure out if there is any downside at all when we get back 2 GB of disk space by switching from mode 3 to mode 0.

Salty Pirate
Feb 6, 2008, 09:47 PM
Now when you say it "went to sleep", does that mean when you powered it back on, it was like starting up from being turned off? Or did it come back with all of your apps and stuff still running? I'm just trying to figure out if there is any downside at all when we get back 2 GB of disk space by switching from mode 3 to mode 0.

came back with all desktop intact since I had shutdown all programs because it only showed 1 minute left. I simply opened the lid, I did not need to push the power button.

clayj
Feb 6, 2008, 10:02 PM
came back with all desktop intact since I had shutdown all programs because it only showed 1 minute left. I simply opened the lid, I did not need to push the power button.Ah, so we don't know yet what happens to apps like iTunes or Safari or Entourage if we have a complete power failure in mode 0. That's what I am interested in knowing.

I think tomorrow I'm going to be looking into getting .Mac so I can use Back to My Mac. I've removed all of my music from my MBA and am playing with sharing it across the network here in my home... but how that would work when I am out of the house is another question. Back to My Mac might be a good solution if it truly works like you're on your home network.

Terwal
Feb 8, 2008, 10:49 AM
clayj, this is a great thread and initiative... I have wanted (and forgotten) to ask the question for the last 3 days. And now I already have the answer !

Don't hesitate if you have another "sticky-quality" thread ideas ! :)

w.

BrianL99
Feb 8, 2008, 03:56 PM
this is insane... I still can't get it to work I must have tried over 30 times now from my macbook (latest revision) sharing the install DVD starting up holding down option key, selecting WLAN, etc then the disk which it can see...

only ONCE did it actually go through the proper set-up and then hang again..Am I the only one?

I can give you a possible clue, having spent 5 hours in your situation.

IF you force quit the Migration Assistant, you probably didn't completely transfer "owners/users" and your preferences are set to automatically log in a User Name, that really isn't there.

Some of the experts here can tell you how to use FSDCK command or whatever it's called, to create a new administrator, which will then allow you to get past the "blue screen" & change the automatic log in.

tofupancake
Feb 9, 2008, 06:47 AM
I wasn't able to get very far on this, using a MacPro. While I've been able to share the DVD to install Office, etc, reinstalling osx is a different matter. I could boot from the remote disk but the wizard never appeared, and the macpro wizard was stuck at 'Waiting for macbook air to connect'. No routers or firewalls in the way, no littlesnitch, it just wouldn't get past it. This with both ethernet and wireless attempts. No big deal, I started with what I had and managed to remove a lot manually.

shuffles
Feb 9, 2008, 07:21 AM
Do u get the Leopard disk with the Macbook Air or is it already installed or both? Basically wat i mean is do i need to have a copy of Leopard in irder to reinstall it or does a copy come with the Air?

Cheers

MazingerZ
Feb 9, 2008, 07:35 AM
Do u get the Leopard disk with the Macbook Air or is it already installed or both? Basically wat i mean is do i need to have a copy of Leopard in irder to reinstall it or does a copy come with the Air?

Cheers

It's already installed and a DVD is included.

shuffles
Feb 9, 2008, 07:41 AM
Cheers

noservice2001
Feb 9, 2008, 10:31 AM
holding C just takes me to my desktop like normal.... and i know my disc sharing is installed correctly because i used the other mac to see the contents of the install disc.... advice?

in the manual it says to reinstall you have to go to app:utilities:remote install mac- and that method also gives me nothing... has anyone done this via remote disc?

ROB2246
Feb 9, 2008, 12:06 PM
Hi I am doing an erase and install of osx on my Macbook Air via a superdrive. The computer is still on 2 minutes remaining ( 1st disk) for an hour and a half now. Any suggestions on if I should continue to wait . Or a safe way to start the reinstall again. Thanks in advance

tofupancake
Feb 9, 2008, 12:10 PM
holding C just takes me to my desktop like normal.... and i know my disc sharing is installed correctly because i used the other mac to see the contents of the install disc.... advice?

in the manual it says to reinstall you have to go to app:utilities:remote install mac- and that method also gives me nothing... has anyone done this via remote disc?

I think C means the alt/option key (strange C look!). Take a look at page 46 of your users guide (included in box). Your 2nd para means do that on the 'other computer', the remote computer.

noservice2001
Feb 9, 2008, 12:42 PM
I think C means the alt/option key (strange C look!). Take a look at page 46 of your users guide (included in box). Your 2nd para means do that on the 'other computer', the remote computer.

that does make more sense, but now it wont detect my network... but it does detect my neighbors... both are password protected... grr i'm just going to buy the superdrive already

clayj
Feb 9, 2008, 12:45 PM
that does make more sense, but now it wont detect my network... but it does detect my neighbors... both are password protected... grr i'm just going to buy the superdrive alreadyIf you have the SuperDrive, the C key is correct.

noservice2001
Feb 10, 2008, 01:05 PM
If you have the SuperDrive, the C key is correct.

yep, the c key work with the drive.... when using remote disc it didn't though....

so i did it... now i have 46.8 free.... but in step 8 or something instead of doing an upgrade i did a fresh install, in the options menu.... or else it wouldn't let me uncheck the additional languages in the pkg list...

and taking everything off, i didn't have the opportunity to use the 2nd disc the air came with.... it didn't eject until i already was on my streamlined desktop... i'm thinking only the x11 linux stuff was on that disc....

thanks clayj!

saisrujan
Feb 11, 2008, 02:43 AM
Another question from a mac newbie...

I am planning to reinstall the OS after opting out of iMovie, garageband and printer drivers. I understand I can reinstall printer drivers when I happen to buy a printer. But if I need iMovie later, how can I re-install it?

clayj
Feb 11, 2008, 06:14 AM
Another question from a mac newbie...

I am planning to reinstall the OS after opting out of iMovie, garageband and printer drivers. I understand I can reinstall printer drivers when I happen to buy a printer. But if I need iMovie later, how can I re-install it?You can insert the OS X DVD #1 into your DVD drive (SuperDrive or shared Remote Disc) and then double-click Optional Installs > Install Bundled Software Only > Continue > Continue > Customize. This will let you (re)install the CPU Help Files, iWeb, GarageBand, iDVD, iPhoto, and iMovie.

Clix Pix
Feb 12, 2008, 09:28 PM
After mulling over my options for a couple of days while waiting for a sustained period of time in which to really work with my MBA I finally made the decision to follow your step-by-step instructions for the OS X reinstall.... Everything went flawlessly and I was able to reclaim some otherwise wasted/lost drive space! MANY thanks!!! I don't think I would have had the courage to do this if the instructions had not been so very clearly outlined. I am most grateful. I thank you and my MBA thanks you! :)

enochpeng
Feb 13, 2008, 01:32 AM
I can't get this to work!!!!

My MBA can't recognized my Airport Express after i restarted it and hold down the option key..... it only shows other networks ...

sad.... but it finds and connects to my airport flawlessly under normal OS condition ...

Help plz

Richardismac
Feb 13, 2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks for there steps

Maui19
Feb 14, 2008, 01:16 PM
Here are the steps for doing a remote install of OS X. It is anything but clear from the instructions.

1. Insert the OS X Install #1 disk into your host computer (the host computer is the one with the drive, NOT the MBA). If your host computer is a Mac, double click the "DVD or CD Sharing Set Up" package on the install disc. (If your host computer is a PC, choose "DVD or CD Sharing" from the install assistant that starts up automatically.)

2. Make sure your MBA and your host computer are connected to the same network. I would recommending turning off all network security. I would also turn both computers are set to "Never Sleep," and have both plugged into AC adaptors. This is a long process and you don't want to run out of juice.

3. Open "Remote Install OS X" (Path on a Mac: Applications->Utilities->Remote Install OS X. On a PC, who knows?)

4. Follow the directions in the Remote Install app on the host computer. Once you do the restart of your MBA (as instructed by the Remote Install app), select "Options" to do an erase and install, then "Customize" to opt not to install things. The first post in this thread has all the info you need to make these choices.

The biggest problem for me was not realizing that you control the whole process from the host computer, not the MBA.

The other oddity I ran into was that, in the "customize" menu, GarageBand and iPhoto were greyed out. I had to delete GarageBand the old fashioned way. ;)

One other tip: if you can connect to your network over ethernet, you will save some time. I had to do mine using Airport and it took a couple hours.

Man, the MBA is one slick machine. It instantly made my PB G4 look like a dinosaur. Very speedy, too.

jahala
Feb 14, 2008, 01:56 PM
Ah, so we don't know yet what happens to apps like iTunes or Safari or Entourage if we have a complete power failure in mode 0. That's what I am interested in knowing.

I have suffered a complete power failure in mode 0 with safari, Mail, iTunes and more running. I have also hard reset my computer while using it many times. I have not experienced any data loss or program misbehavior as a result. I consider myself lucky. I have lost data and whole systems due to unexpected power failure using other operating systems. It rarely happens, but it can. Since losing power in mode 0, I went back to mode 3 just for the convenience and peace of mind.

clayj
Feb 14, 2008, 02:12 PM
I have suffered a complete power failure in mode 0 with safari, Mail, iTunes and more running. I have also hard reset my computer while using it many times. I have not experienced any data loss or program misbehavior as a result. I consider myself lucky. I have lost data and whole systems due to unexpected power failure using other operating systems. It rarely happens, but it can. Since losing power in mode 0, I went back to mode 3 just for the convenience and peace of mind.Hmm. I guess I am more worried about programs that open a database file and keep it open for the duration of their operation: Entourage and Filemaker are two that come to mind. In those apps, a sudden app crash (including because of a power failure) can result in all kinds of fun errors when you restart the app, including possible data loss and/or corruption, since the database wasn't closed properly. The programs you listed (Safari, Mail, iTunes) don't tend to keep files open in the same way that database-oriented apps do.

So I can't in good conscience recommend that anyone switch from mode 3 to mode 0, even to save 2 GB of disk space.

slowbutspeeding
Feb 14, 2008, 10:52 PM
Thank you so much for this post! I just completed it on my new 1.6 80GB HDD Air, and thought I'd report the final numbers:

Capacity: 74.21 GB
Available: 63.8 GB
Used: 10.41

Not bad :)

One more thing too...the reinstall was pretty fast. Only took about 30 min. for disc 1, and then 15 min. for disc 2.

illian
Feb 15, 2008, 07:48 AM
I'm a little confused...i reinstalled mac os x...but i did NOT need the second dvd.
air is running fine and i have 64,5 GB of free space...what did i do wrong?! :confused:

clayj
Feb 15, 2008, 07:55 AM
I'm a little confused...i reinstalled mac os x...but i did NOT need the second dvd.
air is running fine and i have 64,5 GB of free space...what did i do wrong?! :confused:You may not have done anything wrong. Depending on what you install (or more the point, what you do not install), DVD #2 may not have been needed.

But here's the kicker, and a bug on Apple's part: The Installer will never actually ask you for the second DVD. If it ejects the first DVD while the installation process is still running, you're just supposed to insert the second DVD. It doesn't say, "Please insert the second DVD." It simply assumes that you know to do that. This, to me, is a serious issue. When it ejected the first DVD during my reinstall, I just assumed after a few minutes of it not doing anything that it wanted the second DVD, so I inserted it and the installation then continued.

(Why this is a bug is that a less adventurous computer user, my Mom for example, would not insert the second DVD unless specifically asked. They'd end up calling in to Apple for support and wasting a huge amount of time before being told, "Oh, just insert the disc and see what happens." Not cool.)

If you got to the end of the installation process and it never ejected the first DVD, then you're probably OK.

But if you have doubts, it might not be a bad idea to go through the process a second time and see if the opportunity arises for you to insert the second DVD.

illian
Feb 15, 2008, 08:15 AM
Before i reinstalled i already had my os updated to 10.5.2 ...maybe some programs were not deleted after all because they were "newer" than the ones on the dvd...maybe :rolleyes:

clayj
Feb 15, 2008, 08:28 AM
Before i reinstalled i already had my os updated to 10.5.2 ...maybe some programs were not deleted after all because they were "newer" than the ones on the dvd...maybe :rolleyes:Well, then it sounds like you didn't do a clean install. A clean install involves either using the Disk Utility (before the Installer starts copying files) to repartition/reformat your hard drive, or using the Erase and Install option inside the Installer. In either case, there'd be nothing newer on your hard drive... no 10.5.2, no updates.

Once the clean install is complete, then you'd be able to install 10.5.2, the iLife update, etc.

slowbutspeeding
Feb 15, 2008, 10:03 AM
But here's the kicker, and a bug on Apple's part: The Installer will never actually ask you for the second DVD. If it ejects the first DVD while the installation process is still running, you're just supposed to insert the second DVD. It doesn't say, "Please insert the second DVD." It simply assumes that you know to do that. This, to me, is a serious issue. When it ejected the first DVD during my reinstall, I just assumed after a few minutes of it not doing anything that it wanted the second DVD, so I inserted it and the installation then continued.

(Why this is a bug is that a less adventurous computer user, my Mom for example, would not insert the second DVD unless specifically asked. They'd end up calling in to Apple for support and wasting a huge amount of time before being told, "Oh, just insert the disc and see what happens." Not cool.)

If you got to the end of the installation process and it never ejected the first DVD, then you're probably OK.

But if you have doubts, it might not be a bad idea to go through the process a second time and see if the opportunity arises for you to insert the second DVD.

Unfortunately this is a bug that Apple needs to address. However, I take it that you didn't read through the instructions in this post before reinstalling. The author notes this error specifically ;)

clayj
Feb 15, 2008, 10:24 AM
Unfortunately this is a bug that Apple needs to address. However, I take it that you didn't read through the instructions in this post before reinstalling. The author notes this error specifically ;)I assume you're addressing illian? Because yeah, I did note specifically that you will not be asked to insert the second disc. ;)

(Actually, I've noticed that most of the problems people have mentioned in this thread are a result of them not following the steps completely. The #1 source of issues is not using Disk Utility to repartition/reformat your drive.)

spyz88
Feb 15, 2008, 04:16 PM
You guys could try to use xslimmer, it removes the PPC part of some universal binaries. It saved me 2.79GB on my MBA with 80GB HDD. There is a trial up to 50MB but I caved and spent the $11, it is well worth it....

http://www.xslimmer.com/

clayj
Feb 15, 2008, 11:17 PM
You guys could try to use xslimmer, it removes the PPC part of some universal binaries. It saved me 2.79GB on my MBA with 80GB HDD. There is a trial up to 50MB but I caved and spent the $11, it is well worth it....

http://www.xslimmer.com/One problem with Xslimmer is, I believe, that it won't touch any of the Apple apps, which is part of the reason for running these steps in the first place. Also, I'd be concerned that by modifying an app's executable, I could cause problems later on if I installed a patch that actually patched a file rather than replacing it.

grandeabc
Feb 16, 2008, 02:28 AM
Nice thread! I have followed the instructions on the first page from this thread, and everything was fine, very nice. Thanks!

alpinadvl
Feb 16, 2008, 10:54 AM
I did this. Thank you so much for posting this thread, couple of things to comment on :

1. OVERVIEW
MBAir System : 1.8/SSD
Connection : Remote Disc - via ethernet cable to host computer (G4 Quicksilver)
Formatted capacity (after clean reinstall) : 44.49 GB available (pre- OS 10.5.2 update)
Time : 70 minutes

2. SETUP / INSTALL SELECTIONS
- (added) : "Erase and Install" (clean install done)
- I installed the language fonts (not the language localizations)
- I removed iMovie, iDVD
- I installed iPhoto
- NO Printer Drivers (I figure I will add them later one-by-one as needed)
- PROBLEM : I was not able to "unselect" Garageband nor was I able to "select" iWeb (I did not want to do that - but I am just pointing out that the option was not available to me) - these were GREYED OUT

--> Did anyone else have this problem???

Last comment : I needed both discs, and unlike what is posted here, the host computer DID prompt me to insert disc 2 - actually, it promted me to eject disc 1 and insert disc 2 (no "auto eject" as others have mentioned)

-alf

ps : if anyone could comment about the garbageband issue I would appreciate it. TIA

Maui19
Feb 16, 2008, 12:17 PM
I did this. Thank you so much for posting this thread, couple of things to comment on :

PROBLEM : I was not able to "unselect" Garageband nor was I able to "select" iWeb (I did not want to do that - but I am just pointing out that the option was not available to me) - these were GREYED OUT

--> Did anyone else have this problem???

Last comment : I needed both discs, and unlike what is posted here, the host computer DID prompt me to insert disc 2 - actually, it promted me to eject disc 1 and insert disc 2 (no "auto eject" as others have mentioned)

I had the same kind of weirdness with GarageBand and one other app (iMovie perhaps). I had to do this custom install twice (Migration Assistant bloated out my disc, so I had to start over), and each time I had the "greyed out" issue, but each time it was different apps that were greyed out. I worked around it by toggling all the apps on and off until I got the configuration I was looking for.

BTW, I too was prompted for the second install disk.

clayj
Feb 16, 2008, 02:21 PM
It's entirely possible that things might work a bit differently under Remote Disc. I have updated the steps in the original post to indicate that you may not be prompted for DVD #2.

As far as not being able to toggle GarageBand and iWeb, the only thing I can think of that would cause this is if you weren't performing a truly clean install. I can't stress enough how important it is that you either use Disk Utility to repartition/reformat your hard drive before proceeding with the installation or perform an Erase and Install. My preference is to go with the Disk Utility option, since that is the true "blank slate" clean installation. Not being an Apple programmer, I can't speak to exactly what an Erase and Install does; but I can assure you that repartitioning/reformatting your drive using Disk Utility will get you to a totally clean start state.

alpinadvl
Feb 16, 2008, 02:39 PM
Getting Rid of Garageband (and other Apple Apps) :

I can attest that using AppZapper will remove Garageband completely

just make sure you change the preferences so that "Keep default apps safe" is not checked.

This will remove 1.01 GB of Garageband

Maui19
Feb 16, 2008, 05:28 PM
It's entirely possible that things might work a bit differently under Remote Disc. I have updated the steps in the original post to indicate that you may not be prompted for DVD #2.

As far as not being able to toggle GarageBand and iWeb, the only thing I can think of that would cause this is if you weren't performing a truly clean install. I can't stress enough how important it is that you either use Disk Utility to repartition/reformat your hard drive before proceeding with the installation or perform an Erase and Install. My preference is to go with the Disk Utility option, since that is the true "blank slate" clean installation. Not being an Apple programmer, I can't speak to exactly what an Erase and Install does; but I can assure you that repartitioning/reformatting your drive using Disk Utility will get you to a totally clean start state.

I did clean installs both times. Each time different apps were greyed out.

smagdy
Feb 18, 2008, 08:15 AM
I did it between MBA 1.6/SSD and PC/Win XP using Airport method, and it went perfectly with no hassle and was fast.

Disk 1: 30 - 40min
Disk 2: 10 - 15min

and it propmt me to remove Disk 1 and insert Disk 2 and GarageBand and all those application were not greyed out, I was able to select/deselect them normally!

riyadc2
Feb 18, 2008, 05:52 PM
I did clean installs both times. Each time different apps were greyed out.

You have to go into disk utility and format the drive, then do a clean install. Otherwise some apps are gonna be greyed out. ( You need to do steps 4-6 from the original post )

Darge13
Feb 19, 2008, 03:31 AM
I believe if you do not install the CPU help files you will be missing the "Hardware Test". You can still run this off the disc via remote reinstall OSX with the option key pressed. I wasn't able to bring up the hardware test holding D at boot until I added that package. Anyone care to confirm? No biggie but I think a bulk of that package is the Leopard PDF which you can delete and still have the hardware test built in with out having to use remote disc.

lewisozz
Feb 19, 2008, 06:10 AM
i just did a reinstall and my battery is 100 percent !!!!

somecows
Feb 19, 2008, 10:17 PM
I am trying to do a clean install but can not get it to work. I have the install disk shared via my macbook pro, i restart the air, hold down option key, and eventually get to the point where i DO see the shared install disk up on my air screen. I select it and hit the arrow underneath it, but then nothing happens. The spinny thing just spins and spins for ever. Well, for 20 minutes or so. It never progresses to the screen where I see the various install options, the disk utility option, etc. Do I need to wait more than 20 minutes or can I assume there is some problem?

econ-mit
Feb 20, 2008, 06:26 PM
I have a question about what to expect if I do not install any printer drivers. What happens when I want to install a printer? Do I get prompted to find the driver? Or does it become problematic to even initiate the connection?

I have no problem downloading drivers as I need them if I could somehow get told which to download etc.

Anyone know what to expect? Many thanks!

MacUser1
Feb 20, 2008, 11:32 PM
It's posts like these that make me glad your posting again clayj. Thanks!

econ-mit
Feb 22, 2008, 06:38 AM
I finally went through the process successfully, with one small hiccup:

I'd decided to let the consistency check run... why not be safe? When it was over and I looked back at the screen I had a "clean media" request prompt. The problem is, my external USB-CD drive (AC powered, not Superdrive) would not let me eject, I think OS-X installer was not letting it eject. The Installer then told me to clean it and then reboot to reinstall but I had to reboot without cleaning. The process started again and this time I just hit 'skip' when the consistency check started. The installation then proceeded with no problem and was over in 30min.

I regained about 7G. I opted out of the same things clayj did, except I left:

-Spanish language (I regret this: I didn't care for the menu translations, but I wanted the spellcheck dictionary and wasn't sure if they were connected; I know realize that those are completely separate and you still get them regardless)

-HP printer drivers (and a few other printer drivers I didn't need but were just ridiculously small ~10Mg).

I won't remove Alex voice or change my hibernation mode until I find myself at my upper storage limit. I'm off to download LaTeX and other goodies now...

Thanks clayj for a great post! :D

econ-mit

PS: after the personal effort to gain 7G, I'm still disturbed by the missing 4G in our SSD that is still unexplained by Apple:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=427947

djbressler
Feb 26, 2008, 12:19 AM
Am I the only idiot that can't get past the "hit the power button" step? (OK, stop laughing :-)

I've tried every combination...

Let me back up.

I installed CD sharing, and trying to boot off a windows CD. I can connect to the drive, and have turned off "ask me before connecting."

I shut the MBA. I hit and hold the option key, I hit and release the power key (still holding the option key), and I get a picture of a hard drive, with an up arrow below it, and a list of wireless networks.

Disk 1 is in the PC.

I select the wireless network that the PC is on (the same one I tested on).

Now, my only option is to hit the "up arrow", which points at the hard disk. I hit the up-arrow, and I'm back at my normal desktop.

No blue screen, no menu to select language, no nebula, no installer...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

Terwal
Feb 26, 2008, 02:18 AM
Went throught the process as described by clayj... Worked like a charm ! :)

Thanks for this great thread...

djbressler
Feb 26, 2008, 07:56 AM
Hi,

So, I changed two things, and I'm now remotely booting...

1. I undocked my PC from the docking station
2. I ran the "Remote Install Mac OS" application from the boot CD on my PC before rebooting - maybe this was obvious... but it wasn't in the instructions!

Also, in case anyone else runs into similar situations... it seems I had to disconnect from the VPN I use for work, even though I use a split configuration, in order to access the remote disk. But, that I had figured out last night - just wanted to share.

David

clayj
Feb 26, 2008, 08:03 AM
2. I ran the "Remote Install Mac OS" application from the boot CD on my PC before rebooting - maybe this was obvious... but it wasn't in the instructions!In my defense, I have never actually run through a Remote Disc OS reinstall myself... that's why the directions in that particular area are a little vague. They do say that you must have previously set up the Remote Disc functionality, though. ;)

kydee6039
Feb 27, 2008, 08:01 PM
Man I cannot get this to work. I'm trying to do this remotely. First problem is when I restart my MBA and select a wireless network my network does not show up. Luckily I can choose a free network. Choose the free network and the OSX disk shows up. I select it and then I get the apple screen with the rotating globe. Thats sits there for like 5 minutes and then I just get the apple logo on the grey screen. It's been sitting there for like 20 minutes with the apple logo and the spinning thing.

Any ideas??

clayj
Feb 27, 2008, 08:14 PM
Man I cannot get this to work. I'm trying to do this remotely. First problem is when I restart my MBA and select a wireless network my network does not show up. Luckily I can choose a free network. Choose the free network and the OSX disk shows up. I select it and then I get the apple screen with the rotating globe. Thats sits there for like 5 minutes and then I just get the apple logo on the grey screen. It's been sitting there for like 20 minutes with the apple logo and the spinning thing.

Any ideas??You might want to give it more time.

Also, if your WiFi network is secured (password-protected), you may want to temporarily remove the password... using your network should be faster than borrowing a neighbor's network. And check to see if the DVD drive is actually doing anything... don't eject the disk, but see if you can tell if it's actually reading the disc.

And did I mention that you might want to give it more time? Even if you are installing from a SuperDrive, the whirly "processing" thing can go for several minutes. Streaming over a network, it might take even longer.

kydee6039
Feb 27, 2008, 08:19 PM
Finally it kicked in BUT it just takes me back to my homescreen??? I thought it would take me to where I can install OSX??

Am I missing something??

kydee6039
Feb 27, 2008, 08:20 PM
I also noticed that when I it logs in it goes back to my network rather than the free one. Something that should be so easy is really turning into a pain in the ass!!

Any suggestions.

clayj
Feb 27, 2008, 08:29 PM
I also noticed that when I it logs in it goes back to my network rather than the free one. Something that should be so easy is really turning into a pain in the ass!!

Any suggestions.Well, here's what Apple says:

To use Remote Install Mac OS X:

Insert the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 into the optical disc drive of the other computer.
If the other computer is a Mac, open /Applications/Utilities/Remote Install Mac OS X. On Windows, choose "Remote Install Mac OS X" from the Install Assistant.
Read the introduction and click Continue.
Choose the install disc you want to use, and click Continue.
Choose a network connection: AirPort, if you are using an AirPort network, or Ethernet, if the other computer is on an Ethernet network and you have an optional Apple USB Ethernet Adapter connecting your MacBook Air to the same network. Click Continue.
Restart your MacBook Air and hold down the Option key as it starts up, until you see a list of available startup disks.
Click Continue in Remote Install Mac OS X.
If you chose AirPort as your network in step 5, on your MacBook Air choose your AirPort network from the pop-up list.
If the network is secure, you are prompted for a password. You can enter a private network name by choosing the ellipsis (...) and typing the name.
If you chose AirPort as your network in step 5, when you see the AirPort status icon indicating signal strength, click Continue in Remote Install Mac OS X.
Step 6 is critical. If you don't hold down the Option key until the list of startup disks appears, you will not get the menu. I'd recommend holding it down until you actually see the OS X Installer.

As I said, I'd also recommend temporarily removing security/passwords from your WiFi network so that you can use it, rather than your neighbor's.

kydee6039
Feb 27, 2008, 08:40 PM
okay - i'm holding option as i type on another computer. so far - i'm stuck on the rotating globe screen - but still holding!!

something i just noticed - before it went to the grey screen with just the apple logo for a split second there was a grey outlined circle with a diagonal line through it - and then it just boots back to my homescreen??

clayj
Feb 27, 2008, 08:45 PM
okay - i'm holding option as i type on another computer. so far - i'm stuck on the rotating globe screen - but still holding!!

something i just noticed - before it went to the grey screen with just the apple logo for a split second there was a grey outlined circle with a diagonal line through it - and then it just boots back to my homescreen??Not knowing exactly what the image was, it sounds like it could have represented a failure to connect to the DVD, maybe because of the network you were using. That might explain why you ended up at the usual OS X desktop.

Clix Pix
Feb 27, 2008, 09:23 PM
Why not make your lives simpler and just buy the nice little MacBook Air external Superdrive? IMHO all of this messing around with the remote disc dealie, which probably wasn't ever meant to do something such as reinstalling the entire OS, is just wasting your time. I'm sure that Apple didn't intend for people to be using a neighbor's wireless connection, either. Just buy (or borrow) the Superdrive, reinstall your OS and go on from there......

yymca6
Mar 2, 2008, 09:43 AM
Is it easier then to use App Zapper to uninstall Garage Band and any other apps that we may not be using? Reinstalling the OS seems more risky after reading people's comments after doing it.

2nd question: At the beginning of this thread someone wanted to use a portable HD like the WD Passport to install Parallels then Windows? Is it doable technically to run Parallels on an external HD and how can you install Windows on your portable HD when you have only one USB port on the MBA? :confused:

alpinadvl
Mar 2, 2008, 11:31 AM
Is it easier then to use App Zapper to uninstall Garage Band and any other apps that we may not be using? Reinstalling the OS seems more risky after reading people's comments after doing it.

I used AppZapper to remove Garageband - and had no issues doing it (just make sure to "deselect" the preference which preserves standard apple apps)

But, I do not see the harm in troubleshooting and getting Remote Disk to work - once you have done this - it is good to know for future reference. I would give it a try just to see if you can do it. It is really not an overly-complicated process, it just seems that way the first time because of the "unknown" factor.

I would encourage you or anyone to try it, for, at the very least, the benefit of learning about the process.

-alf

Dh22
Mar 2, 2008, 10:36 PM
i got really excited about doing this and had hoped not to run into any problems. unfortunately, i did. i hope somebody can help me!

so this is where i am stuck:

I hold option and it boots, but then when it asks me to select my home network, there is nothing there.

I clicked into the "..." to enter in my own network manually. it asks for my wireless network name? and password. i entered them in (i put 2wire351 then my password) and for the last hour (literally) the circle progress thing just keeps going. I connect effortlessly to my network under normal conditions. hellllp.

thanks in advance =)

alpinadvl
Mar 3, 2008, 01:23 PM
i got really excited about doing this and had hoped not to run into any problems. unfortunately, i did. i hope somebody can help me!

I hold option and it boots, but then when it asks me to select my home network, there is nothing there.

I clicked into the "..." to enter in my own network manually. it asks for my wireless network name? and password. i entered them in (i put 2wire351 then my password) and for the last hour (literally) the circle progress thing just keeps going. I connect effortlessly to my network under normal conditions. hellllp.

thanks in advance =)

can you try connecting to your router directly with an ethernet cable (via the dongle)? That is what I did - it would just "help" to eliminate the factors behind the problem. I wish I could be of better help.

StayWhatYouAre
Mar 4, 2008, 07:37 AM

thanks in advance =)

I've just run a clean install on my macbook Air, wifi was nothing but problems, first it wouldn't connect until i'd deactivated the WPA encryption and then it took forever booting from the remot disk before eventually crashing.

Bought the Ethernet adapter and things were much smoother, didn't take much longer than if it was from a local CD/DVD drive. I did notice it took a good few minutes to see the disk in the source computer via Ethernet after starting up holding down alt.

Choosing the erase and install option has always worked well, no need to worry about using disk utility :)

I used a timemachine backup from my USB2 external to run the migration assistant, really impressed with how that worked for 40 GB of files.

Great computer, really enjoying it and my other half has inherited my CDuo Blackbook so everybody wins.

Ads

Doctor Q
Mar 6, 2008, 03:59 PM
Please note that there is a Mac Guide for the topic of this thread:MacBook Air: Complete Steps to Perform an OS X Reinstall
The Guide links back to this thread for discussion.

clayj
Mar 6, 2008, 04:03 PM
Please note that there is a Mac Guide for the topic of this thread:MacBook Air: Complete Steps to Perform an OS X Reinstall
The Guide links back to this thread for discussion.Great, except that the guide entries at the top of the MBA forum page don't seem to be showing up correctly much of the time. ;)

Doctor Q
Mar 6, 2008, 07:27 PM
Great, except that the guide entries at the top of the MBA forum page don't seem to be showing up correctly much of the time. ;)What's wrong with them when they aren't correct?

clayj
Mar 6, 2008, 07:58 PM
What's wrong with them when they aren't correct?They're just not there. Here's a screenshot I took just moments ago in Safari:

clayj
Mar 6, 2008, 10:41 PM
FYI, the steps in the first post in this thread have now been updated in the Guide:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Complete_Steps_to_Perform_a_Clean_OS_X_Reinstall_on_Your_MacBook_Air

davekr
Mar 7, 2008, 04:16 PM
OK, some quick questions here from a mac book pro user, seems I might want to do the clean install one day either to this mac book or perhaps a MBA in the future....

in step 6 you partition/repartition the hard drive first, does selecting "1 partition" give you one drive or 2 after the reformat and clean install? every time I have installed a "partition" I end up with 2 drives in effect? do you delete the partition later?

if one were to decide to "clean install" on a machine that has been in use for some time, and had all programs and data backed up to time machine, could one selectively pull data to the clean install afterwards? just looking for the least painful method of clean install and returning to the current state of my machine, minus the fluff the clean install pulls out?

clayj
Mar 7, 2008, 04:20 PM
OK, some quick questions here from a mac book pro user, seems I might want to do the clean install one day either to this mac book or perhaps a MBA in the future....

in step 6 you partition/repartition the hard drive first, does selecting "1 partition" give you one drive or 2 after the reformat and clean install? every time I have installed a "partition" I end up with 2 drives in effect? do you delete the partition later?

if one were to decide to "clean install" on a machine that has been in use for some time, and had all programs and data backed up to time machine, could one selectively pull data to the clean install afterwards? just looking for the least painful method of clean install and returning to the current state of my machine, minus the fluff the clean install pulls out?When you select "1 Partition" in the Disk Utility, you are saying "I want there to be ONE partition." The existing partition will be deleted and a new one created in its place; this is why you should perform these steps before you install a bunch of stuff.

If you were to perform these steps later on, obviously you'd want to back up your data somewhere else first. Once the reinstall was complete, then you could restore your data and reinstall whatever applications you need.

davekr
Mar 8, 2008, 03:40 PM
When you select "1 Partition" in the Disk Utility, you are saying "I want there to be ONE partition." The existing partition will be deleted and a new one created in its place; this is why you should perform these steps before you install a bunch of stuff.

OK, I think I'm following, but what your describing above leads me to think that somehow there would be 2 drives? or what is the difference between 0 partitions and 1 partition?

If you were to perform these steps later on, obviously you'd want to back up your data somewhere else first. Once the reinstall was complete, then you could restore your data and reinstall whatever applications you need.

yes, I do understand, however I am contemplating using a yet to be purchased time capsule, and am wondering if doing a clean install after completely backing up to time capsule would allow me to access the backed up files given the clean install?

clayj
Mar 8, 2008, 04:11 PM
OK, I think I'm following, but what your describing above leads me to think that somehow there would be 2 drives? or what is the difference between 0 partitions and 1 partition?I honestly don't follow what you are saying. 1 <> 2, and 0 <> 1.

A hard drive can contain anywhere from 0 to n number of partitions. Each partition acts like a separate logical hard drive on the actual physical hard drive. If you want to have more than one partition, knock yourself out; but you will be splitting up your total hard drive space across multiple logical drives. Obviously, having zero partitions means there are zero logical hard drives and therefore you can't actually store anything on the hard drive. In order to use a hard drive, you must have at least one partition.

The steps I have outlined will completely erase your physical hard drive and create a single drive-filling partition onto which OS X will be installed. If you want to complicate things by setting up more than one partition, that's your own lookout.

yes, I do understand, however I am contemplating using a yet to be purchased time capsule, and am wondering if doing a clean install after completely backing up to time capsule would allow me to access the backed up files given the clean install?I don't have a solid grasp of how a Time Machine's backup can be used following the reformatting of your OS X partition, so I cannot speak to whether this will work. When I say "back up your files", I am referring to just copying them somewhere else. If this means using Time Machine and you're sure that will work, then fine.

clayj
Mar 10, 2008, 11:18 PM
Went throught the process as described by clayj... Worked like a charm ! :)

Thanks for this great thread...You're welcome! Glad I could help.

Mhaddy
Mar 14, 2008, 01:33 PM
Well, here's what Apple says:

To use Remote Install Mac OS X:

Insert the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 into the optical disc drive of the other computer.
If the other computer is a Mac, open /Applications/Utilities/Remote Install Mac OS X. On Windows, choose "Remote Install Mac OS X" from the Install Assistant.
Read the introduction and click Continue.
Choose the install disc you want to use, and click Continue.
Choose a network connection: AirPort, if you are using an AirPort network, or Ethernet, if the other computer is on an Ethernet network and you have an optional Apple USB Ethernet Adapter connecting your MacBook Air to the same network. Click Continue.
Restart your MacBook Air and hold down the Option key as it starts up, until you see a list of available startup disks.
Click Continue in Remote Install Mac OS X.
If you chose AirPort as your network in step 5, on your MacBook Air choose your AirPort network from the pop-up list.
If the network is secure, you are prompted for a password. You can enter a private network name by choosing the ellipsis (...) and typing the name.
If you chose AirPort as your network in step 5, when you see the AirPort status icon indicating signal strength, click Continue in Remote Install Mac OS X.
Step 6 is critical. If you don't hold down the Option key until the list of startup disks appears, you will not get the menu. I'd recommend holding it down until you actually see the OS X Installer.

As I said, I'd also recommend temporarily removing security/passwords from your WiFi network so that you can use it, rather than your neighbor's.

I definitely think this should be added to the top of the Guide as I was driving myself nuts trying to get the Remote Install to work before I stumbled my way through this thread and found this post. I did not see this to be an "obvious" step either.

In either event, after about an hour (or less), I am enjoying a helluva lot more space on my MBA. Thank you so much clayj!

clayj
Mar 14, 2008, 02:25 PM
I definitely think this should be added to the top of the Guide as I was driving myself nuts trying to get the Remote Install to work before I stumbled my way through this thread and found this post. I did not see this to be an "obvious" step either.I'll see if I can make some time to add these steps to the Guide this weekend.

In either event, after about an hour (or less), I am enjoying a helluva lot more space on my MBA. Thank you so much clayj!You're welcome!

EDIT: The Guide ( http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Air:_Complete_Steps_to_Perform_an_OS_X_Reinstall ) has now been updated with the Remote Install steps!

shivpaul
Mar 19, 2008, 07:53 AM
Has anyone tried installing leopard from an external usb hard drive or ipod?

I've tried the Remote Dish install method but it always hangs at the beginning of the install saying "Calculating time Remaining" or something like that...

shivpaul
Mar 19, 2008, 09:00 PM
Has anyone tried installing leopard from an external usb hard drive or ipod?

I've tried the Remote Dish install method but it always hangs at the beginning of the install saying "Calculating time Remaining" or something like that...

Well just to answer my own question, it is possible to install leopard onto the Air via an ipod. Granted, I installed the bare minimum using just the image of the first installation disk. Hope this proves useful to others.

Mhaddy
Mar 20, 2008, 08:17 PM
Unfortunately I had to exchange my first MBA due to a battery that wouldn't charge, but now that I'm doing the install on a new MBA... running into some problems during the install. It's been stuck on the "Installing Mac OS X on the volume "Macintosh HD"" for a while now, currently stalling with 16 minutes remaining.

Should I restart the install process?

Edit: after anxiously messing with the Top menu bar, the install process jumped back to life and was successful :) Crisis averted!

JasO
Apr 3, 2008, 03:01 AM
I'm trying to do a fresh install...this is rather annoying.

do everything up to booting up and selecting the wifi and then selecting my iMac, then i just get the 'waiting for macbook air to start up...' screen on my iMac and the MBA just has the circle swirly process thing... doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Also the leopard DVD in my iMac isn't moving... so it's not actually doing anything...any help?

edit - doing it again, first i see the apple logo in the middle of the screen with the spinning earth logo underneath, then it goes to a circle with a line thought it (like a delete or cant do icon) and then the little circle swirly thing.

Mhaddy
Oct 24, 2008, 04:35 PM
I wasn't able to get very far on this, using a MacPro. While I've been able to share the DVD to install Office, etc, reinstalling osx is a different matter. I could boot from the remote disk but the wizard never appeared, and the macpro wizard was stuck at 'Waiting for macbook air to connect'. No routers or firewalls in the way, no littlesnitch, it just wouldn't get past it. This with both ethernet and wireless attempts. No big deal, I started with what I had and managed to remove a lot manually.

I am trying to do a clean install but can not get it to work. I have the install disk shared via my macbook pro, i restart the air, hold down option key, and eventually get to the point where i DO see the shared install disk up on my air screen. I select it and hit the arrow underneath it, but then nothing happens. The spinny thing just spins and spins for ever. Well, for 20 minutes or so. It never progresses to the screen where I see the various install options, the disk utility option, etc. Do I need to wait more than 20 minutes or can I assume there is some problem?

You might want to give it more time.

Also, if your WiFi network is secured (password-protected), you may want to temporarily remove the password... using your network should be faster than borrowing a neighbor's network. And check to see if the DVD drive is actually doing anything... don't eject the disk, but see if you can tell if it's actually reading the disc.

And did I mention that you might want to give it more time? Even if you are installing from a SuperDrive, the whirly "processing" thing can go for several minutes. Streaming over a network, it might take even longer.

I'm trying to do a fresh install...this is rather annoying.

do everything up to booting up and selecting the wifi and then selecting my iMac, then i just get the 'waiting for macbook air to start up...' screen on my iMac and the MBA just has the circle swirly process thing... doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Also the leopard DVD in my iMac isn't moving... so it's not actually doing anything...any help?

edit - doing it again, first i see the apple logo in the middle of the screen with the spinning earth logo underneath, then it goes to a circle with a line thought it (like a delete or cant do icon) and then the little circle swirly thing.
I'm giving my Air one more shot at not UI lagging through the "fixed" core shutdown problems, or else I'm going to sell her. Trying to do this remote install again and the problems that all of these people are having, being stuck on the "Waiting for MacBook Air to start up..." screen, is what I'm running into. For those who've run into this problem, how did you get around it? I'm installing via Ethernet, BTW.

Edit: I've tried both wirelessly (with encryption disabled) and Ethernet and the end result is now either booting back into the existing installation of OS X on the Air or hanging on the 'waiting for MacBook Air to start up...' screen. I know the Air is making a connection to the DVD drive as it does begin to spin, but a little ways into it, it will stop spinning, so I don't think it's accessing it anymore.

I've also tried clayj's trick of holding down the Option key until I see something (even past the drive selection screen), but to no avail. Grrrr!

dehory
Oct 30, 2008, 01:09 PM
I'm still waiting to receive my rev. B MBA, but I'm curious how this works with Boot Camp. I intend to do a clean OS X reinstall and also install TinyXP on a separate partition.

Would I create this separate partition in the same step as when I'm using Disk Utility to repartition/reformat the hard drive? Or would I do the clean reinstall first, and then use Boot Camp to create the new partition?

clayj
Oct 30, 2008, 03:41 PM
I'm still waiting to receive my rev. B MBA, but I'm curious how this works with Boot Camp. I intend to do a clean OS X reinstall and also install TinyXP on a separate partition.

Would I create this separate partition in the same step as when I'm using Disk Utility to repartition/reformat the hard drive? Or would I do the clean reinstall first, and then use Boot Camp to create the new partition?I would recommend letting Boot Camp create the partition it needs at the time you start using Boot Camp, not trying to use Disk Utility to do it. Your net disk usage will pretty much be the same either way, but Boot Camp knows better what Boot Camp needs than Disk Utility does.

dehory
Oct 30, 2008, 04:18 PM
I would recommend letting Boot Camp create the partition it needs at the time you start using Boot Camp, not trying to use Disk Utility to do it. Your net disk usage will pretty much be the same either way, but Boot Camp knows better what Boot Camp needs than Disk Utility does.

Makes sense. Thanks for the advice.

Essjay
Nov 1, 2008, 10:54 PM
I am doing a clean install right now but under the "Customize" option I cannot check/uncheck the option for "Bundled Applications" is this option located somewhere else?

Thanks

dogg
Nov 12, 2008, 03:21 PM
i am wondering the same thing.

Is it part of disc 2 maybe?

The ability to uninstall it, or is it the case it just wont be installed because those applications are on disc 2?

dogg
Nov 12, 2008, 03:34 PM
i am wondering the same thing.

Is it part of disc 2 maybe?

The ability to uninstall it, or is it the case it just wont be installed because those applications are on disc 2?

dogg
Nov 12, 2008, 03:40 PM
The clean install worked for me. When it finishes it states if want iMovie, Garageband etc you must re-install them.

NYCJerryMaguire
Nov 12, 2008, 10:15 PM
The protocol for a clean install and saving space is different for the 2nd generation Mac Book Air's, the Mac OS is on 1 DVD and the Apps on the 2nd, and there is no option to pick and choose what you want and don't want in the Apps anyone else run into this?

Mike

MBA 1.86 2nd Gen 128SSD, Iphone 16GB 3g, Ipod Touch 32GB 2nd Gen, Ipod Classic 160GB, Ipod Nano 8GB 4th Gen, Ipod mini 6 GB, Ipod Shuffle 1GB

AndyGarton
Nov 13, 2008, 02:04 AM
The protocol for a clean install and saving space is different for the 2nd generation Mac Book Air's, the Mac OS is on 1 DVD and the Apps on the 2nd, and there is no option to pick and choose what you want and don't want in the Apps anyone else run into this?

No, there is an option in the apps install program on disk 2 - a "customize" button on the bottom left of one of the screens.

dogg
Nov 13, 2008, 03:08 PM
This is a great thread. Worked out fine.

But then after the clean install i migrated my user account from my old MBP, and its added all the applications, drivers etc back on!!!

Will i need to start again, and is it wise to only check certain things when the Migration app asks what i want to transfer?

descartes
Dec 12, 2008, 12:16 AM
great thread. glad I found it. Freed up much needed space. thanks

richxps
Jan 14, 2009, 12:39 PM
hi, i have my air for about 4 months now, so i have photos, and music etc on it. If i want to now do this clean install to save space, how can i save my photos and music so i can put it back the same way it was ? would time machine do this even with a clean install ?

snuffdaddy
May 22, 2009, 05:25 AM
Quick Q: So why does the OP suggest going for the single partition option in Disk Utility rather than just erasing the drive, or doing an "Erase & Install" when installing Leopard? Some added benefit or something?

milhouse994
Jun 14, 2013, 01:49 PM
This might be the wrong place for this question, so I apologize in advance.

I just ordered a new MBA and I'm keen to free up as much space as possible. This guide is really useful, but I'm wondering how to achieve this without a OSX install disc. The MBA will come with Mountain Lion pre-installed, how do I achieve a clean install?

Thanks for any tips.

Fattytail
Jun 14, 2013, 04:21 PM
This might be the wrong place for this question, so I apologize in advance.

I just ordered a new MBA and I'm keen to free up as much space as possible. This guide is really useful, but I'm wondering how to achieve this without a OSX install disc. The MBA will come with Mountain Lion pre-installed, how do I achieve a clean install?

Thanks for any tips.

Google is your friend.

milhouse994
Jun 14, 2013, 04:42 PM
Google is your friend.

You're right. I did do a quick search before but all the posts were related to people upgrading, not new computers. A slightly more patient search has turned up a couple of useful results:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/25/how-to-clean-install-os-x-mountain-lion/

http://macs.about.com/od/MountainLion/ss/How-To-Perform-A-Clean-Install-Of-Os-X-Mountain-Lion-On-A-Startup-Drive.htm

I do have a question though. This original guide talks about the benefits of a clean install to a MBA as you can free up many GB's of unneeded stuff like fonts and printer drivers. This was written with Leopard in mind and I know that Snow Leopard dramatically shrank the footprint, so are there still substantial space savings to be had with Mountain Lion?

Thanks.