PDA

View Full Version : "Something in the AIr" Should Mean a Tethered iPhone

MacBytes
Feb 4, 2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: "Something in the AIr" Should Mean a Tethered iPhone (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080204202905)
Description:: Apple missed the boat by not offering iPhone Tethering as part of the MacBook Air package.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

QuarterSwede
Feb 4, 2008, 07:34 PM
By tethered does he synching over EDGE? If so that's a horrible idea. Synching of WiFi (duh) is a much better one.

jettredmont
Feb 4, 2008, 07:51 PM
By tethered does he synching over EDGE? If so that's a horrible idea. Synching of WiFi (duh) is a much better one.

He means using the EDGE network as the internet connection in spots where there is no (free) WiFi access.

The reasons why not:

1. This would tend to kill AT&T's network and would be vetoed by them unless they got an additional monthly fee for it.
2. EDGE is painfully slow, WiFi is not. WiFi is not ubiquitous, but it's certainly prevalent.
3. You have an iPhone. Use it to browse the web over EDGE.

michaelsviews
Feb 4, 2008, 07:53 PM

Actually VZW's EVDO RevA blows Edge and 3G away. This is based on where I live and work. At work I am in a cubicle with in the center of the work area, cant get 3G barely get EDGE, But the EVDO RevA comes in just fine on the USB Card and too my MBP.

P.s. NOTE on both carriers there limiting and or slowing or cutting u off once you reach the max per month in KB's.

Alrescha
Feb 4, 2008, 09:11 PM
3. You have an iPhone. Use it to browse the web over EDGE.

I don't think the author said anything about browsing. I'd like to be able to let my TomTom get it's traffic data over Edge. I can't with my iPhone. I might need to ssh into a machine in an emergency. I can't do that either.

I can understand why ATT might not want to let people do it, but let's not pretend there aren't uses for the feature.

A.

jettredmont
Feb 4, 2008, 09:42 PM
I don't think the author said anything about browsing. I'd like to be able to let my TomTom get it's traffic data over Edge. I can't with my iPhone. I might need to ssh into a machine in an emergency. I can't do that either.

I can understand why ATT might not want to let people do it, but let's not pretend there aren't uses for the feature.

A.

Didn't mean to indicate that web browsing is the only valid use for a network connection. However, Apple sure gives the impression that that's about the only use you should want it for ...

shadowfax
Feb 5, 2008, 04:43 AM
I think that web browsing on the MBA via wireless to the iPhone's EDGE connection would be a great idea. It is painfully slow, but it's not unusable. Back in the day, we used 56k, and it usually beats that. It would be nice to have for downloading e-mail attachments that the iPhone doesn't support or doesn't have the ability to edit well or at all.

And like they say, if the iPhone gets 3G people will really want this--they'll be buying up 3rd-party illegitimate programs that feed the 3G connection to a laptop via Bluetooth or an ad-hoc 802.11 connection. No question about that. AT&T will not be able to stop people from hacking them to work as wireless modems, though there is no question they will try, and just come off the worse for it, as usual.

Man, for the MBA, that really would be the answer to the USB-3G card problem of having that ugly thing stick out the side of your laptop--you just use the phone's connection, wirelessly. No one would even know...

toomuchmac
Feb 5, 2008, 07:55 AM
Once the iPhone goes up to 3G or 4G or Nationwide Google Network or whatever, then I'm sure the company that brought us the MB Air and the iPhone will once again redefine something, namely what we now call "tethering." Kind of like internet sharing is sys pref's now.

Well, at least I hope they do...

I don't know if I would want to tether at current Edge speeds. I've had a VZW card for a while and when in spots without good coverage (way before Rev-A) it was freaking painful when it would be around 100-200 kbps... typical for Edge.