PDA

View Full Version : My Take 2 Feedback to Apple

roland.g
Feb 4, 2008, 08:03 PM
It seems from what I have seen of the Demo and on the web that the Apple TV take 2 will include Genre searching for Rentals and Purchases, but not for owned content. My suggestion is that the software is updated so that when one goes into the My Movies section of the Apple TV, whether to look at Synced content, or Streamed content, that the movies are broken down by Genre classification.

The reason for this would be that once a customer has purchased enough movies, and because an 802.11n or .11g connection is fast enough to stream a movie that they may not want to sync all their movies but simply browse the library of the main computer and stream a movie. With 5-10 movies the current format suffices. But once someone has 30 or more movies that becomes too cumbersome. And as the iTunes Store library of movies for purchase grows, and people move towards more downloaded movies and less DVDs this will become a major problem. I would prefer myself to buy a movie at $10-15 than to rent it for $3-5.

In addition I find the 24 hour time period to finish a rental movie a little to restrictive and would recommend extending it to 48 hours.

Also update this feedback to include 10.5.x as an OS choice.

harcosparky
Feb 4, 2008, 08:22 PM
In addition I find the 24 hour time period to finish a rental movie a little to restrictive and would recommend extending it to 48 hours.

I don't see myself renting from Apple, just because of the 24 hour deal.

I can understand limiting the amount of time the movies is in your posession ( 30 days ) but does any other rental outlet limit how many times you can watch a movie ( one time with apple ) or limit the time in which you have to view a movie once it is started. ( 24 hours with apple )?

You can tell I am not a big Rental fan, I prefer to buy @ $10-$15 myself and maintain a library.

I do love the portability of the Apple TV, you can take it with you! :D

severe
Feb 4, 2008, 08:28 PM
I don't see myself renting from Apple, just because of the 24 hour deal.

I can understand limiting the amount of time the movies is in your posession ( 30 days ) but does any other rental outlet limit how many times you can watch a movie ( one time with apple ) or limit the time in which you have to view a movie once it is started. ( 24 hours with apple )?

You can tell I am not a big Rental fan, I prefer to buy @ $10-$15 myself and maintain a library.

I do love the portability of the Apple TV, you can take it with you! :D

Although I agree with most of your post, I believe Apple allows you to view a movie as many times as you like within 24 hours. However, some more time makes sense to me.

katieparker
Feb 4, 2008, 11:21 PM
Amazon's rentals have the exact same restrictions as Apple's. Once you start the movie, you have 24 hours to finish it, and you have 30 days to start it.

I just with Take 2 would come out! I have a rental downloaded that I want to try with Apple TV, but there are only 10 days left on it. Might just have to bite the bullet and hook my computer up to my TV to watch it.

ipoddin
Feb 5, 2008, 12:45 AM

Xbox Live Marketplace has same 24 hour limit once you start watching. But has even less time to be in your possession (14 days).

This is common with online rentals.

hauss316H
Feb 5, 2008, 12:55 AM
stop whining

FreeState
Feb 5, 2008, 01:22 AM
I wish the rentals had late fees if you want to keep it one more day ;)

Also if you start watching a movie you can pause it and start it the next day- as long as you don't watch it all the way through and don't leave the paused screen it will work for more than 24 hours :)

roland.g
Feb 5, 2008, 01:35 AM
I wish the rentals had late fees if you want to keep it one more day ;)

Also if you start watching a movie you can pause it and start it the next day- as long as you don't watch it all the way through and don't leave the paused screen it will work for more than 24 hours :)

What...

Michael CM1
Feb 5, 2008, 02:06 AM
It seems from what I have seen of the Demo and on the web that the Apple TV take 2 will include Genre searching for Rentals and Purchases, but not for owned content. My suggestion is that the software is updated so that when one goes into the My Movies section of the Apple TV, whether to look at Synced content, or Streamed content, that the movies are broken down by Genre classification.

The reason for this would be that once a customer has purchased enough movies, and because an 802.11n or .11g connection is fast enough to stream a movie that they may not want to sync all their movies but simply browse the library of the main computer and stream a movie. With 5-10 movies the current format suffices. But once someone has 30 or more movies that becomes too cumbersome. And as the iTunes Store library of movies for purchase grows, and people move towards more downloaded movies and less DVDs this will become a major problem. I would prefer myself to buy a movie at $10-15 than to rent it for $3-5.

Also update this feedback to include 10.5.x as an OS choice.

I also don't understand some of the restrictions. Do the movie studios not realize that movies rented via iTunes are much less prone to piracy than discs? It stinks that they won't let you watch a movie for 2 or 3 days. The local place I go to has the newer titles for one day and older titles for 3 days. So I could get behind that.

I REALLY don't get why Apple or anybody else should have to wait 30 days after DVD release. If Blockbuster and Netflix can rent them the day of release, why can't the online people?

(Answer: movie studios fear change more than cats fear dogs)

Duffinator
Feb 5, 2008, 10:14 AM
Xbox Live Marketplace has same 24 hour limit once you start watching. But has even less time to be in your possession (14 days).

This is common with online rentals.Nice but that doesn's mean we have to like it. 48 hours is much more reasonable. I know it's the content providers placing this restriction on the rentals and not Apple but Apple has a way of getting what they want hence the suggestion.

CWallace
Feb 5, 2008, 11:16 AM
(D)oes any other rental outlet limit how many times you can watch a movie ( one time with apple ) or limit the time in which you have to view a movie once it is started. ( 24 hours with apple )?

I haven't used Blockbuster in a decade, but they used to have a 24-hour rental limit (without incurring late fees on return) on new releases, though you could watch it as many times as you wanted in that 24 hour period.

filmguy15
Feb 5, 2008, 11:48 AM
Nice but that doesn's mean we have to like it.

Correct, and it also doesn't mean you have to whine about it. It's not going to change any time soon.

Yes, you can watch the movies more than once within 24 hours if you want.

Case closed.

Now lets talk about something a little more constructive, like Jessica Alba's hotness....:-P

aristobrat
Feb 5, 2008, 11:56 AM
Nice but that doesn's mean we have to like it. 48 hours is much more reasonable. I know it's the content providers placing this restriction on the rentals and not Apple but Apple has a way of getting what they want hence the suggestion.
With NBC pulling out of the iTunes Store and Amazon.com being the first to have DRM-free music from the major studios, do you really think Apple can still get what it wants?

Looks to me like the content providers are over Apple getting their way and are flipping the bird in Apple's general direction.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the reason that rentals didn't come out months ago (when people were hacking through the software/website and started seeing tags for it) was because Apple wouldn't agree to the content providers terms.

At some point, someone's got to give. Doesn't look like it's the content providers turn for that, at least with videos.

severe
Feb 5, 2008, 12:06 PM
Movies

Buy and rent movies from the iTunes Store and watch them on your computer, then sync them to your iPod or iPhone. Movie rentals are $3.99 for new releases and $2.99 for library titles. Rent a movie and you have 30 days to start watching it. Hit Play, and you have 24 hours to finish it — or watch it as many times as you want. Movie rentals disappear when they expire, so they won’t take up storage space.

roland.g
Feb 5, 2008, 12:11 PM
Everyone is focusing so much on the 24hr standpoint which to me was an afterthought to my feedback, b/c most of the time I will watch the movie in one sitting.

Really my problem comes with my purchased collection since I will do more of that and sorting through it when it becomes larger.