Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
How does the Mac version of CivIV work on intel Macs? It's UB right? Wondering if i can get away without using bootcamp to play this.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Civ IV indeed is UB, I play it on my Mac Pro. I believe it's UB out of the box, so you're good to go.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Cool, so you've had no issues with it? What other UB strategy games can you recommend? Age of empires III?

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Nope, no issues. I'd also recommend Command and Conquer, AoE (like the above), and even though it's not UB, Starcraft. :)

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Civilization IV and Warlords work great for me in OSX, the only thing is, I'm not sure Beyond The Sword is out for OSX yet and patches are way behind the PC version so I still play it in Bootcamp to be able to play Beyond The Sword (which is a pretty nice expansion, especially for the single-player minded player) and have the latest patches.

xlosltove777

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
Long Island, NY
Civ IV and Warlords work perfect on my iMac 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo, even when it had just 1GB RAM and the little I played on my brother's macbook is fine.

Beyond the Sword has been out for PC for awhile now, the wait for it to be ported over for Mac seems to be taking forever. So if your gonna pay for it you might just might think of setting up boot camp and buying the windows version. I'm honestly tempted to find some other means that repurchasing the windows version.

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Is there any way to see the FPS you're currently getting while playing Civ IV?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.