Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Howdy!

I am setting up a video conference between Seattle (host), LA, Pentegon, Honolulu and Portland. In reality, Seattle will be streaming AV to the other locations. I have 2 panasonic AG-DVX100B's I am using for webcams. One is fixed on the speaker, and the other on the presentation screen (powerpoint and keynote). I purchased a utility program which does the format conversion.

I set this up once before and we used Skype to do the web-streaming. However, Skype has become unreliable and I need another alternative. I do not mind paying (within reason). I am starting the research process now and need to find something by the end of the week. MR has never let me down as a good place to begin, so I am hoping someone here will have some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

cls

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Finland
WebEx http://www.webex.com is a good alternative, with which I have positive experiences.

Adobe Connect Pro is another possibility.

Some of my colleagues use Flashmeeting and Gatherplace for having conferences between 6 international locations, with video and audio in each location.

Casper.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
WebEx http://www.webex.com is a good alternative, with which I have positive experiences.

Adobe Connect Pro is another possibility.

Some of my colleagues use Flashmeeting and Gatherplace for having conferences between 6 international locations, with video and audio in each location.

Casper.

Thanks for the referrals. I will definitely check them out!

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Out of curiousity, does iChat hold any sort of candle to the commercial alternatives? Steve certainly does make it appear very capable in his Keynote demos. With that kind of camera horsepower you're obviously looking for high quality video.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
Out of curiousity, does iChat hold any sort of candle to the commercial alternatives? Steve certainly does make it appear very capable in his Keynote demos. With that kind of camera horsepower you're obviously looking for high quality video.

I know that the new iChat in Leopard has the ability to record video conferences. However, even if you use an external camera, I'm not sure whether or not it reverts to the iSight resolution (which is VGA 640 x 480.) Also, I'm unsure whether or not the recording retains the same graphics formatting, such as the PIP of yourself and the tabletop reflections.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I know that the new iChat in Leopard has the ability to record video conferences. However, even if you use an external camera, I'm not sure whether or not it reverts to the iSight resolution (which is VGA 640 x 480.)
Why do you need better than VGA resolution for video conferencing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.