Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
last night when i first heard the rumors of his passing i just hoped it was one of those untrue stories that floats around from time to time. when i read the confirmation early today i was truly devastated.

an amazing talent and by all reports a truly nice though obviously tortured individual.

man, this is so depressing.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
suicide

why are we even talking about this guy?

By your rationale we should never discuss Van Gogh either. Elliott Smith's torment is obvious in everything he wrote, just like Van Gogh's paintings expressed his unique, hopeless view of the world. It's sad that the art isn't enough to keep tortured souls alive, but the world is so much better off for the beautiful way they expressed their gloom.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Originally posted by 3rdpath
your compassion for an artist who suffered from clinical depression is heartwarming.

seriously, why even make such a moronic post.

unless, of course...

Why should a suicide even be given any news coverage? That could actually encourage other potential suicides.

"Look. They are talking about that guy that off-ed himself. I think that I will off myself, then they will talk about me."

I bet that someone will find a way to blame this on the government.

I feel sorry for the family that had a loved one die. But I don't feel sorry for this guy that killed himself.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by Frohickey
Nope.

Why should a suicide even be given any news coverage? That could actually encourage other potential suicides.

Look. They are talking about that guy that off-ed himself. I think that I will off myself, then they will talk about me.

how utterly ignorant. suicide is not done for attention, attempted suicide is sometimes tho...

clearly you have no concept of mental illness or it's devistating effect on a person. doesn't matter if they're famous or not. but when it happens to someone famous, it reminds us all that suicide is a leading cause of death, and that something needs to be done to bring medical attention to those that need it, before tragedy strikes.

pnw

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi

"Look. They are talking about that guy that off-ed himself. I think that I will off myself, then they will talk about me."

I bet that someone will find a way to blame this on the government.

I feel sorry for the family that had a loved one die. But I don't feel sorry for this guy that killed himself.

Wow, you are so right on the money, I mean I'm that's why he comitted suiced, because he saw it on tv and thought he could get attention......that is also why the news should not cover murders or child abductions or over-doses or terrorists plots or anything at all because it will all encourage others to do the same things.
How utterly ignorant must someone be to make such a statement as the one posted above?

As far as Elliot goes, I personally never cared for his music, his lyrics to be exact, but I know plenty who were touched by him and it's a shame to see him go especially by taking his own life. I wonder if the record he has been working on since '01 will ever be released now?

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Being on the doctoral track for Psychology Ill agree with Frohickey that the media can spawn copycat suicides, seeing the person is obviously not in their right mind in the first place. But yeah suicide is a sad occasion for anyone remotely involved, and if in fact he was suffering from clinical depression it is a sad ending. But if he was one of those artists who craved attention and used their ailment in their music, and ultimately quit their meds because of it ... then I have no sympathy only sadness. Either way it is a sad occurance, and one that should make all of us re-exam our own lives and the great things it brings.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
But I don't feel sorry for this guy that killed himself.

May your life be spared depression. It is more common than you think. Attitudes like yours perpetuate the silence that depressed people live in.

If you take one thing from this discussion learn this. Depression is a treatable disease, and depression in no way a sign of weakness. Often it is a chemical imbalance, and if people were more open about it then I think there would be less suicide.

My wife just got off anti depressants, and our lives were not much fun before she took them. After she started taking them she was the same person, but she could all of a sudden handle life. And she still tries to write it off as postpartum depression. She can't admit that hey, maybe she was depressed from an abundance of stress.

When I spoke to other people about my wife I was amazed at how many people are on antidepressants. I had no idea it was so common. Taking antidepressants seemed like it is a huge secret to most people. I feel that often people who commit suicide are those who are embarrassed about taking anti-depressants or seeking help. Like they are crazy if they have to take drugs to help their mood. I know I felt that way about antidepressants before I lived it.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Chemical imbalance.

Ritalin for kids and ADD.
Zolof (sp?) for adults with depression.
We feel sorry for the person that committed suicide, instead of contempt for their selfish action of depriving their loved ones of their company. Got it.

I'd rather have it be known by someone that I know and love that they will be held in contempt if they commit suicide, that I would hate their guts for all eternity if they commit the selfish deed.

Better that, than have it be known by someone comtemplating suicide that I would feel sorry for them if they kill themselves.

If I were the suicidee.. I would completely understand the same sentiment as above by my loved ones.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002

If I were the suicidee.. I would completely understand the same sentiment as above by my loved ones.

If you were the suicidee you would know that you might be hurting them, but you wouldn't care enough to spare your worthless life. Besides their lives will be better when you are gone.

DavisBAnimal

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
New Hampshire
I don't know if anyone else agrees with me here, but can we please leave the bickering over the nature of suicide to another thread and just spend some time honoring the memory of one of the truly great songwriters of our generation, and pop music in general?

Elliott Smith was a brilliant man, and his loss, no matter what its cause, be it selfish or be it tragic, has affected many in a strong way. He will truly be missed, and he won't soon be equaled. It's a shame we won't be able to appreciate his genius anymore.

Davis

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.