PDA

View Full Version : Ok my OCD got the best of me and I had to get it. Here my opinion compared to MB.

richard371
Feb 5, 2008, 12:02 PM
I just got my SR Black macbook 10 days ago and so far it has been great and fast but after playing with the Air I feel like it would only be fair to try it out and see which one works the best for me. I know I will prob have to pay a restock on the one I return but at least I will have the piece of mind that I got the one for me. I went with the HDD version and saved $100 with student ID.

Here are my observations so far:
1: The quality feels great, work of art and no creaks plastic like the macbook. Just feels better to hold and doesn't get fingerprints as bad.

2: Love the lighted KB as I type in the dark and I hunt and peck.

3: Screen has slightly better viewing angle vertically then the MB but at full brighness it is much brighter. This will be nice when out in the sun.

4: Isight is not quiet as clear and nice as the MB but I have not had any probs with it like some have reported. Maybe the cam had to be thinner for the screen.

5: 1080p videos drop frames where they played perfect on the MB. I am hoping 10.5.2 will have improved video drivers for the x3100 that will help this. Not a big deal because i will watch a max of 720p rentals etc.

6: When I plugged it in to charge last night at 30% it took over 8 hours to turn from amber to green. I am hearing this should settle down after a few charge cycles. I feel the MB has slightly better battery life. If the battery stuff doesnt sort out it could be the deal breaker.

7: I rarely use the usb ports and never use firewireports so the lack of ports is no biggie.

8: Wifi is not as good as the MB but works fine.

Unless I find any major flaws or issues this will prob be a keeper.

mashoutposse
Feb 5, 2008, 12:08 PM
Nice overview. I'm not missing my MBP much, much less an MB.

Krevnik
Feb 5, 2008, 12:30 PM
5: 1080p videos drop frames where they played perfect on the MB. I am hoping 10.5.2 will have improved video drivers for the x3100 that will help this. Not a big deal because i will watch a max of 720p rentals etc.

Two things:
- 720p rentals are only for the ATV, and aren't rentable on the computer. The computer is limited to the SD rentals.
- 1080p will improve with the graphics update, but it still won't be perfect. It is close though.

6: When I plugged it in to charge last night at 30% it took over 8 hours to turn from amber to green. I am hearing this should settle down after a few charge cycles. I feel the MB has slightly better battery life. If the battery stuff doesnt sort out it could be the deal breaker.

I don't have this problem. It charged in 2-3 hours for me. I have a feeling it might be a bad batch of batteries.

ahaxton
Feb 5, 2008, 12:37 PM
Two things:
- 720p rentals are only for the ATV, and aren't rentable on the computer. The computer is limited to the SD rentals.
- 1080p will improve with the graphics update, but it still won't be perfect. It is close though.

I don't have this problem. It charged in 2-3 hours for me. I have a feeling it might be a bad batch of batteries.

I was wondering where those 720p rentals were. Was going to try one on the MBA. So far though what I have been able to try (torrented HD shows) all is well and crisp and smooth.

off in the wood
Feb 5, 2008, 12:48 PM
I don't have this problem. It charged in 2-3 hours for me.

Is that what it takes you to charge from 0%? Mine also takes a good potion of time to recharge the battery if it is at 0%...takes roughly 6-8 hours. Anyone else take this long?

DPGX
Feb 5, 2008, 01:02 PM
I know this feeling all too well. I sold my previous 1 year old macbook pro and intended on picking up an air on saturday only to get there and them not have stock. I picked up a refreshed and higher end pro, which I love dont get me wrong but I dont necessarily need. I move around alot at work and travel a bit so poratability is key. I ended up finding out yesterday the air came in and went and got one as well so i had a chance to use both and decide which to keep, needless to say looks like my pro might be going back tonight :-)

I thought I was the only one that had this OCD issue lol, but looks like others do as well which makes me feel better!!!

BlakTornado
Feb 5, 2008, 01:32 PM
You have OCD that makes you buy nice things!?

Luck sonova...

*washes hands*

;)

richard371
Feb 5, 2008, 01:34 PM
Yea having ocd can be expensive. Im not happy about paying the restock fee on the mb but oh well. I should get one of those credit card that doesn't require you to pay the restock fees.

I am going to give it a few charge cycles to see if the battery settles down. also looking forward to the 10.5.2 update.

I am almost embarrassed to take the air to a coffee shop etc and use it as I will feel to pretentious or or perceived as a show off. I will be glad when there are more around.

I know this feeling all too well. I sold my previous 1 year old macbook pro and intended on picking up an air on saturday only to get there and them not have stock. I picked up a refreshed and higher end pro, which I love dont get me wrong but I dont necessarily need. I move around alot at work and travel a bit so poratability is key. I ended up finding out yesterday the air came in and went and got one as well so i had a chance to use both and decide which to keep, needless to say looks like my pro might be going back tonight :-)

I thought I was the only one that had this OCD issue lol, but looks like others do as well which makes me feel better!!!

DPGX
Feb 5, 2008, 02:04 PM
:-) The sickest part, im actually considering keeping the pro as well even though I reallllly dont need it. Part of me says keep it and pay for it rather than throwing 160 dollars at a restocking fee.

deniser
Feb 5, 2008, 02:15 PM
Why don't you sell the MB, if you got student discount on it you're bound to break even then