PDA

View Full Version : Time Warner throttling iTunes?

MacBytes
Feb 5, 2008, 01:16 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Services
Link: Time Warner throttling iTunes? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080205141621)
Description:: Folks in Texas claim music, video downloads aren't happening

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

TEG
Feb 5, 2008, 01:30 PM
I hope Time Warner and Comcast get what they deserve for their packet blocking.

Fine them each ELEVENTY BILLION DOLLARS!

If you live in their service area, I suggest U-Verse, FiOS, or DSL.

TEG

PlaceofDis
Feb 5, 2008, 01:31 PM
this is why i went with DSL over comcast.

/dev/toaster
Feb 5, 2008, 01:54 PM
So far Comcast hasn't given me any trouble in the past few years. Speed has always been very good. (Keep in mind, I don't use their DNS servers or mail servers)

When they start to affect my connection I will drop them in a second. luckily I have been living in all the areas they aren't messing with.

olliebraves20
Feb 5, 2008, 02:10 PM
I haven't noticed Comcrap messing with my internet at all....I agree tho...the minute they do I'm going to DSL...I'm not putting up with their games.....

Lord Sam
Feb 5, 2008, 02:27 PM
Hah! Yeah right Time Warner. You wish.

synth3tik
Feb 5, 2008, 03:00 PM
I was happy with Time Warner until about a year before Comcast took over. I was a Time Warner customer for over 5 years. The thing that really got under my skin was when an electrical surge from the cable line killed everything. I called customer service and the lady said clearing her trough "Sir, sir. Electricity does not travel through the cable lines." I then asked if it was little squirrels with ones and zeros in their mouths. Then asked to cancel my service.

data, ones and zeros, plus 5 volt and minus 5 volts I guess is not considered electricity to them. I got out before all this throttling stuff luckily.

rdowns
Feb 5, 2008, 03:04 PM
I was a TW customer for years until I just moved. I can't tell you how reliable and fast my connection was (Queens, NYC). I know Cablevision won't even come close. I can only hope Fios is available in my new place.

shadowfax
Feb 5, 2008, 04:24 PM
I have Cox here in Norman, OK. They have actually been pretty pleasant to deal with, except for how long it took them to repair my cable line when it went out, which honestly was their stupid contractor's fault. In any case, they refunded me for the outage with no trouble, and I get very high bandwidth from them from all the stuff I use the internet for.

I hail from Austin, TX, though, and it seems that Time Warner is pure evil there. This traffic shaping needs to get seriously illegalized and stamped out.

/dev/toaster
Feb 5, 2008, 08:02 PM
I was happy with Time Warner until about a year before Comcast took over. I was a Time Warner customer for over 5 years. The thing that really got under my skin was when an electrical surge from the cable line killed everything. I called customer service and the lady said clearing her trough "Sir, sir. Electricity does not travel through the cable lines." I then asked if it was little squirrels with ones and zeros in their mouths. Then asked to cancel my service.

data, ones and zeros, plus 5 volt and minus 5 volts I guess is not considered electricity to them. I got out before all this throttling stuff luckily.

Next time you hear that one. Question how bullets are sent through the line.

If they don't know what a bullet is, question their knowledge on cable systems :D

winmacguy
Feb 5, 2008, 08:36 PM
Update on the topic
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/29/AR2008012903205.html

shadowfax
Feb 5, 2008, 09:55 PM
Update on the topic
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/29/AR2008012903205.html

man, what total, complete d-bags. 5% of users cause 50% of the traffic. Fair Enough, go after them people! 1500 HD Movies worth of bandwidth in a month? that's like 3-4TB of bandwidth. I agree that's ridiculous. But, the response to that is tiered service from 5-50 GB? Idiots, this is the 21st century, the era of broadband. What utter fools to think that they can charge EVEN MORE for internet service that is already among the most expensive on the planet.

Shoddy shoddy. I am glad for my $29 student deal. 6-10 Mbps at that. :)

winmacguy
Feb 5, 2008, 10:30 PM
man, what total, complete d-bags. 5% of users cause 50% of the traffic. Fair Enough, go after them people! 1500 HD Movies worth of bandwidth in a month? that's like 3-4TB of bandwidth. I agree that's ridiculous. But, the response to that is tiered service from 5-50 GB? Idiots, this is the 21st century, the era of broadband. What utter fools to think that they can charge EVEN MORE for internet service that is already among the most expensive on the planet.

Shoddy shoddy. I am glad for my $29 student deal. 6-10 Mbps at that. :)

Welcome to New Zealand's pricing and capping structure. That is EXACTLY what we have to deal with. I am on a 5GB data plan with my ISP. The US gets a better deal than we do.

MikeTheC
Feb 5, 2008, 10:48 PM
Well, I am not by choice a Comcast customer here, and -- knock on wood -- they haven't been fooling around with my throughput. When I say "not by choice", what I mean is that I was previously a Time-Warner customer, and Comcast bought this TW account (actually it was probably a swap with some Comcast account that TW wanted).

Verizon doesn't exist down here, only Comcast and Embarq (formerly Sprint), and as I don't subscribe to landline service, DSL is not an option for me. I also only subscribe to their basic cable package (about $13ish a month), and will be dropping that once everything goes digital in Feb. of 2009. I'm looking forward to that.

Now all I need to do is get a faster Mac and then watching all the online content will become less of a pain.

Ah, progress...

Lord Sam
Feb 6, 2008, 11:19 AM
Welcome to New Zealand's pricing and capping structure. That is EXACTLY what we have to deal with. I am on a 5GB data plan with my ISP. The US gets a better deal than we do. The US gets a better deal than the UK as well. That's where I live, and it's a similar situation.