Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riker1384

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
West Coast
I have a 1 Ghz Emac. The fan has been sounding different lately. In addition to the normal noise, there's a high-pitched component. It sounds kind of like water running through copper supply pipes, if you've ever listened to that in your house. Has anybody else had this problem? Is the fan wearing out, and if so, is it serviceable?

I should mention that the sound comes and goes. I'm assuming it's the fan. It's not the optical drive, so the only other thing is the hard drive. I do have my stuff backed up.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Fan is wearing out. Some people who are good with modding have success in replacing with a quiet fans. Otherwise, you might want to find out how much an OEM fan will cost.

riker1384

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
West Coast
I don't want to put much money into this computer, since it's getting old anyway.

I wonder if it might need lube, or maybe it's unbalanced from dust buildup? I'm afraid to open up a CRT case though.

I actually have another Emac, but it needs RAM and I don't know if it's really worth buying that either. I might just look for a refurb Intel machine if this one goes.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Try everymac.com to find out what ram your emac uses
Then dealram.com for ram. Yes, for some it's not worth it to upgrade older machines...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.