Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Okay guys, these are my opinions. I'm posting this because I'd like to avoid some other people buying this with unreasonable expectations.

Look closely at the vents on the macbook air. They are VERY close to the surface the computer sits on. This is fine on any hard surface, but it is NOT fine on anything soft. This computer will heat up on your lap, in bed, on any surface that isn't hard. The computer will sink down just a little covering all the vents. This by itself is almost okay (it got very hot) but what also gets hot is the top of the unit by your wrist wrests. It is VERY uncomfortable to use with the top heating up, even some heat coming from under the keys!

Just taking a good look at how the vets are placed makes it common sense that any soft surface will cover the vents completely. Not a good machine for laps, bed, or ottomans. I hadn't noticed this before I bought it, just hoping some people think a bit about it....

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Your point is well-taken. Obviously, blocking the vents, like crossing the streams, is something you should not do.

But is this the only reason you returned your MBA? Poor vent layout?

Mr.Green

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
EWR
I guess you've ever owned a Macbook Pro because they all get hot around the wrist wrests. The newer models less so than the first Core Duo versions. The Aluminum is especially good at conducting heat compared to the plastic MacBooks.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
I returned my car because it got too hot. I never changed the oil or fixed the thermostat, either. But oh well...

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
I guess you've ever owned a Macbook Pro because they all get hot around the wrist wrests. The newer models less so than the first Core Duo versions. The Aluminum is especially good at conducting heat compared to the plastic MacBooks.

My MBP doesn't get hot at all around the wrists. Depending on what i'm doing, sometimes it gets warm on my lap enough that i get sweaty. :eek:

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Your point is well-taken. Obviously, blocking the vents, like crossing the streams, is something you should not do.

But is this the only reason you returned your MBA? Poor vent layout?

No, it's not the heat that bothered me, it's WHERE it was. I've never had a laptop heat up at the wrists (correct, I've never had a macbook pro) Usually vents are on the side, the air has no sides so it vents down. Just something to think about before you buy, something I wish I had and something that made it a dealbreaker.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
FWIW, Apple's been saying that for awhile now. :)

Safety Instructions for Setting Up and Using Your MacBook Pro

Important: Do not place your MacBook Pro on a pillow or other soft material when it's powered on, as the material can block the airflow vents (in particular, the rear vents) and cause the computer to overheat
http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/care/

Safety Instructions for Setting Up and Using Your MacBook

Important: Do not place your MacBook on a pillow or other soft material when it's powered on, as the material can block the airflow vents (in particular, the rear vents) and cause the computer to overheat
http://www.apple.com/support/macbook/care/

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
My experience, I used my 1.8/SSD for at least 2 hours (maybe more) sitting up in bed last night with the computer on top of the comforter. Browsing the web and email, it never got beyond barely warm. The fans didn't kick up to high once. I guess my usage isn't pushing the processor. :)

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I've been using mine in all kinds of ways since Friday and I can truly say it doesn't seem to get 1/4 as hot as either my MB or MBP did in same circumstances. The absolute coolest running Apple laptop I've ever owned.

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Sure, I'm well aware of this. I'm aware that laptops heat up more on non standard surfaces. The difference here are those vents. Laptops tend to vent out the side or the back. With the way the air is designed, there is no side or back so they have to vent down. Most laptops get warmer, but no matter what surface they are on at least they can vent, this one cannot.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I was well aware of this before I bought it. If you go to the ifixit site you can get an idea of what is going on with the ventilation.

This model unlike the Macbook pro uses the case as a heat sink, apparently.
(guy at ifixit says this, and that it's an new design)

if this is the case, vent obstruction may not be such an issue. There is a fan of course, but exactly how the air moves is unlclear (to me)

Of course the best way is to just test this. If the case is a heat sink then placeing it on a bed will get it very hot, but on you lap in bed it should be fine.

I've been using this on my lap in bed and it's actually suprisingly NOT hot... (just slightly warm).

mashoutposse

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2003
Sure, I'm well aware of this. I'm aware that laptops heat up more on non standard surfaces. The difference here are those vents. Laptops tend to vent out the side or the back. With the way the air is designed, there is no side or back so they have to vent down. Most laptops get warmer, but no matter what surface they are on at least they can vent, this one cannot.

Which model did you have?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
This model unlike the Macbook pro uses the case as a heat sink, apparently.
(guy at ifixit says this, and that it's an new design)

That's entirely wrong. The aluminum is part of the cooling system on the MBP's, just as it was on the PB's and TiBooks (well Ti, in that case). If I put my MBP on a soft surface, but keep the vents open in the back, it will get very hot. It's part of the reason they can both a] make it 1" thick and b] make it relatively quiet (because they can keep the fan revs low).

MBP's need to be on a hard surface, so when using it on a pillow or such, put it at least on a CoolPad under it to allow some airflow (as noted in a previous post "per Apple").

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
You ate almost $200 if not more because it MAY get hot?

I cannot for the life of me figure out how you think my heat issues with this laptop are hypothetical...

"his by itself is almost okay (it got very hot) but what also gets hot is the top of the unit"

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
The outside of my Macbook Air is at least 10ºC cooler than my Macbook under my normal work load. I don't understand where the heat issue is coming from unless you stuck a pillow in the vent.

Alfadoc

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
RTP, NC
I've been using mine in all kinds of ways since Friday and I can truly say it doesn't seem to get 1/4 as hot as either my MB or MBP did in same circumstances. The absolute coolest running Apple laptop I've ever owned.

Same here. It seems to be a lot better than my CD MBP.

Need to change my sig! YESSSS!

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
I cannot for the life of me figure out how you think my heat issues with this laptop are hypothetical...

"his by itself is almost okay (it got very hot) but what also gets hot is the top of the unit"

What apps were you using to get it so hot? If you were just surfing it must be defective judging by everyone else's comments... The SSD should be even cooler!

C

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.