Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drummer21scum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Hi guys i'm not sure where to post this question, so i'm sorry for treading on anyones toes by asking this...

at my work we've been a windows domain for the past 10 years and we're now only starting to introduce macs(finally) and i have successfully joined an imac running leopard to the windows domain and now users can use their Active Directory accounts to log onto the imac. The users home folder, which is defined in active directory is mapped and placed in the doc, which is great!

but now i need to create some sort of login script to map some more drives on our network eg. smb://theServer/theShare$ but also use the credentials of the user that has just logged in.

My question is, is this even possible? and if so how?

any help would be great, cheers guys...

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
I know that this is possible with Mac OS server since I do this in the mac lab I run at my school. You run the mac server as an Open Directory master server and bind it to the Active Directory. Put all of the users in a group on the OD and set the preferences of that group to mount the shares at login with the users' credentials. This method also allows you to manage mac specific preferences like the dock, printers etc with workgroup manager. This might be complete overkill for what you need. How many users/computers are we talking about here?
There is more info about this here: http://www.bombich.com/mactips/activedir.html

This might be possible to do with some script in the items that run when you log in, but I don't know how to do that. You could just add the volume to the login items and have to type your password again.

drummer21scum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
yeah i happen to work at a school aswell and theres kinda 3 different levels of users i want to accommodate,students,teachers and admin staff. Where talking roughly 1000 students maybe 100 staff...

I've been kicking around in terminal all day long trying to figure out how to mount a share then set it up to run as a login script, but no luck yet, ill give what you said a go and get back to you

cheers i appreciate it heaps.

dogbait

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2005
London, England
Getting a mac to auto-mount network shares on login is a doddle to do and they will appear on the desktop after mounting.

There are two ways to do this, (at least), one using an AppleScript application which mounts your shares on login or two using an Automator action. It has to be configured with the shares you want to load, and it will prompt the user for their password the first time it is run.

It's a few lines of code, so let me know if you want the applet and I'll dig it up and post it here.

theNodge

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2009
Would really appreciate that code...

yeah, was reading though the forum, and stubbled across this thread...

really would appreciate the applet... as mentioned..

would get me out of a real bind...

thanks..

dogbait

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2005
London, England
Two ways of doing it:

1. Applescript
2. Automator

I'm going to cover 2. since that's how I do it at my organisation:

1. Open Automator
2. Select 'Custom'
3. On the left select 'Files & Folders' > double click 'Get specified servers'
4. Add > type the share names you want to mount like so:
smb://SERVERNAME/SHARE
5. On the left select 'Files & Folders' > double click 'Connect to Servers'
6. 'File' > 'Save As' > 'File Format' > 'Workflow' (This is your source which you might want to edit in the future)
7. 'File' > 'Save As' > 'File Format' > 'Application' (This is your application which when run will mount the shares for you - double click it to test and set it to run in the user's Login Items)

MacBriar

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
Another newbie here with the same problem

How do I set the applet to run for all uses on the mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.