Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southcounty949

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Laguna Beach, CA
Hi, has anyone tried installing Adobe CS3 on their MBA? I'm having some trouble. I'm using a PowerBook 17" as my shared optical drive. It installs it up to 95%, but then just stops. There is no spinning wheel or anything, and I can easily cancel out. How long does it take to normally install CS3 on a non-macbook air computer?

Oh yeah -- please spare me the whole "you're using CS3 on your MBA! WTF?" ... go read my other posts to find out why I'm choosing to put it on there. :apple:

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Hmm I installed CS3 using an image since I haven't decided if I want the superdrive yet.

How long have you let it just wait out using remote disc?

treacle

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
metro New York area
I installed CS3 on my MBA yesterday but I did it with the USB superdrive. It took a long time, at least 35-45 minutes. When Elements 6 comes out I may replace it. I plan to keep photos on external drives. I did a clean install and got over 6 GB back. After installing Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom I still have more room than pre clean install.

abhorsen

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
I installed CS3 on the Air using my iMac optical drive. Installation was fine, as is the performance of the actual app.

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
The installer took a really long time. Much longer than normal. My advice is to create a disk image and run it from a usb hd, but be patient. I checked ip on it a couple of times and it looked like it stalled, but would push along after a while.

Once installed a couple of the updates wouldn't install for whatever reason. I ended up having to run the reinstall and everything seems to be working fine.

Quint

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
I've done a number of CS3 installs on different machines from Design Standard to Master Collection, both from disc and from dmg. It can take anywhere from 45 minutes to well over an hour, and the progress bar isn't always very helpful in determining what if anything the installer is doing at the moment. Keep an eye on the bottom of the progress window where it says currently installing or something like that. It should change from application to application. IIRC, it begins with shared software, and ends with the major applications -Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. It will also create these application folders in /Applications as it gets to each one. You can try noting what application it is installing when it seems to stop and try installing that one separately. I haven't used the remote disk feature for an installation yet, but if you are using a WiFi connection, I have to imagine it is a bit slower than installing locally. I would recommend running the installer again but wait through the time you think it has stopped. I would guess it could take two hours or more to install an entire suite. You could also try installing just one or two of the apps at a time. Otherwise, buy or borrow a USB dvd drive and install that way.

HouseHeadNY

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2006
macbook air and cs3

i just got my air about 3 days ago and without the superdrive im STIL BACKING UP! I have a 1.5 ghz g4 powerbook and using the migration assistant, i tried to get my info from the powerbook to the air wirelessly, God it took forever.. i found the best way to transfer from 1 computer to the air is to just turn on file sharing in the system preferences and drag and drop.. I also install cs2 suite using remote disc from the powerbook and it installed absolutly fine! Im currently in the process as we speek of installing CS3 via remote disc and so far its taking at least 3 times more!

Im happy with cs2 performace on the air but still wanna have cs3 to learn and play with, does anyone know if by me installing cs3 with cs2 already on my air, will cs3 overwrite cs2 or can i have both? i guess ill find out eather way, but just trying to see what im in for!

Anderson3133

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
i just got my air about 3 days ago and without the superdrive im STIL BACKING UP! I have a 1.5 ghz g4 powerbook and using the migration assistant, i tried to get my info from the powerbook to the air wirelessly, God it took forever.. i found the best way to transfer from 1 computer to the air is to just turn on file sharing in the system preferences and drag and drop.. I also install cs2 suite using remote disc from the powerbook and it installed absolutly fine! Im currently in the process as we speek of installing CS3 via remote disc and so far its taking at least 3 times more!

Im happy with cs2 performace on the air but still wanna have cs3 to learn and play with, does anyone know if by me installing cs3 with cs2 already on my air, will cs3 overwrite cs2 or can i have both? i guess ill find out eather way, but just trying to see what im in for!

From my experience it changes the files. So, if you open a cs2 document in a cs3 application it will from their on in be opened as a cs3 document until you change it.

geltab

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2007
You will have both on your computer if you install CS3 on your computer with CS2 already present. I did an install of CS3 with CS2 on my computer a while ago and it doesn't overwrite CS2. Kinda pointless to have both though, especially with limited storage space. That is, unless you have specific clients who only want older file types. Although, every CS3 program can save down to the previous generation CS files, except for Indesign. That one is a bit weird. You have to save the file as a Indesign Exchange file. I've had some compatibility issues with some clients on this one. Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.