PDA

View Full Version : How did you come to Macrumors

job
Oct 22, 2003, 04:12 PM
Since the majority of us who post here in Old Skool showed up before Macrumors.com really became well known, how did you find out about it?

Macmaniac
Oct 22, 2003, 04:24 PM
I used to listen to a show on Public Radio called the Compududes who would give tech support on air. One day they were reporting on the new G4 cube and they reffered to one of the rumors sites. "Oh we saw something about the cube a few weeks ago at macrumors.com.
So I thought on it a bit.
I fired up my Performa 6300 and pointed my browser to macrumors.com and I signed up, the rest is history:)

job
Oct 22, 2003, 04:28 PM
i found the site by pure accident. i simply typed macrumors.com into the address bar and was hooked the instant i saw the forums.

Macmaniac
Oct 22, 2003, 04:37 PM
Whats funny for me is that I did not use the forums right away, I only saw the news articles and posted in them, after a month I found them, and I was like sweet:)

job
Oct 22, 2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
Whats funny for me is that I did not use the forums right away, I only saw the news articles and posted in them, after a month I found them, and I was like sweet:)

i actually used the forums more than the main site itself. i used to frequent another forum which used vB so posting at macrumors didn't feel any different.

eclipse525
Oct 22, 2003, 04:46 PM
I've had MacRumors in my bookmark for a long time and never really ventured into the Forums section. In fact, I had tried other forums in the past but they sucked and were not helpful what-so-ever. So, I never joined another forum, thinking most were all like that other one I tried. THEN, out of curiousity I looked into MacRumors forum and was very impressed with how helpful everyone was and how objective most of the MacHeadz in this forum were. So, I sign-in and started posting and it's been a great teaching and learning tool.

PS-> ya need to work on sprucing up the the site alittle and perhaps letting people know what a great source your forums are for newbies and experienced alike.

Keep up the good work!!!

~e

Macmaniac
Oct 22, 2003, 05:48 PM
When I found the forums, I felt I had stumbled upon a Nirvana for mac users, finally a place where macintosh was talked about on equal terms, and dumb PC trolls were quickly silenced. The help in these forums has been top notch, and Macrumors IMOP has the best forum layout of all the rumors sites I have visited.
Post #1300 :)

job
Oct 22, 2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
Macrumors IMOP has the best forum layout of all the rumors sites I have visited.

I actually enjoy the Appleinsider theme a bit more, but the standard vB theme of Macrumors is a close second. ;)

Capt Underpants
Oct 22, 2003, 07:06 PM
I was starting to be curious about macs a little over year ago. I was watching The Screensavers, on TechTV, and it was right before a macworld. They were reading rumors from different mac sites, so I checked them all out. Macrumors was the best, so I signed up.... BTW, I havent been Capt Underpants all of the time at MR. I had to change names because my mom didnt want my real name being next to every post I made...\

Capt Underpants

Durandal7
Oct 22, 2003, 07:24 PM
I don't remember, that was a while ago. I probably found a link from AI since that was the first rumors site I visited on a regular basis.

King Cobra
Oct 22, 2003, 08:02 PM
I used to visit the damned MacOSRumors and kept coming back to that site for as long as it continued to update the news. I began to get REAL sick of waiting for a whole week for updates AND for them to fix their server problems. (My belated advice: Get a new damn server!!)

So I typed in possible Mac Rumor Sites. Given just those three words, I came up with something original. :D :p

eyelikeart
Oct 23, 2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by King Cobra
I used to visit the damned MacOSRumors and kept coming back to that site for as long as it continued to update the news. I began to get REAL sick of waiting for a whole week for updates AND for them to fix their server problems. (My belated advice: Get a new damn server!!)

So I typed in possible Mac Rumor Sites. Given just those three words, I came up with something original. :D :p

Sounds a lot like me. I was in search of PowerBook G4 rumors, and was hittihng MacOSRumors a bunch. I eventually came here, and stayed. ;)

Mr. Anderson
Oct 23, 2003, 01:25 PM
I was looking at buying a Titanium PowerBook and wanted to know when the right time to buy was. There were only 3 forums (no community) when I showed up, but the discussions were great and I ended up registering a couple months later.

D

DeusOmnis
Oct 23, 2003, 02:24 PM
I actually heard of MacOSRumors.com first, and i accidentially typed in MacRumors.com a few times. I eventually started reading both sites, then I realized this one is wayyyyy better, lol. Now I love being here, it's my homepage.

job
Oct 23, 2003, 05:55 PM
alright, here's another question. if you guys found macrumors.com from macosrumors.com then how did you first find macosrumors.com? ;)

MrMacMan
Oct 24, 2003, 06:22 AM
I heard it in many varying places.

I heard alot of 'Mac--Rumors' so I heard it for a while and then checked it out on google, sure enough they got their info from here.

G5orbust
Oct 25, 2003, 01:08 AM
In 8th grade, my friend showed me macrumors during journalism class. I brushed it off for a bit, then came and joined up about 6 mo. later when I bought my powermac.

WinterMute
Oct 27, 2003, 05:24 AM
I was pointed here by a reference in a thread on osxaudio.com, I think this is the best forum site on the web, Mac or otherwise, but you can't really get in a big fight here, the mods are far too conciencious for that.;)

iGav
Oct 27, 2003, 01:11 PM
Exactly like eye, I was looking for PowerBook G4 rumours in late 2000 and very early 2001.... ;) :D

I didn't register until March 02, have no reason why... probably other than being ultra-hyper busy from 2000 to 2002. (things are alittle calmer now) :D

Joined because I liked the atmosphere and users at that time, like Eye, Alphatech, KC, hemingray, Jef, Dukestreet and a few more who I can't remember off the top of my head... the atmosphere was cool, and the banter solid.... and for some reason it's become 'home' now...

yellow
Oct 27, 2003, 01:12 PM
I was drugged, blindfolded, beaten, and dragged here. :D

vniow
Oct 27, 2003, 06:12 PM
It was about a year ago, I was looking for info about the next Powermac which I never bought.....

MrMacMan
Oct 27, 2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by yellow
I was drugged, blindfolded, beaten, and dragged here. :D

Haha, are they still holding you hostage?

;)

yellow
Oct 27, 2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Haha, are they still holding you hostage? <*muffle*>'elp!<*muffle*>

GeeYouEye
Nov 9, 2003, 12:12 AM
I got directed to macosrumors.com from another, non-Mac, site. from there it was only a typo away.

Hehe. Honestly, at first I thought MOSR was great and MR was crap. I was certainly wrong about that.

King Cobra
Nov 9, 2003, 10:08 AM
Haha, iGAV mentioned Alphatech. :D

-->how did you first find macosrumors.com? (job)

Probably two years ago I was looking for the latest in rumors and clicked on an ad to MacOSRumors. Silly me.

job
Nov 9, 2003, 09:33 PM
Haha, iGAV mentioned Alphatech. :D

Even more humorous is the fact that iGAV found him to be a contributing member of the community. ;)

What are you smoking iGAV, cause I'd sure like some. :D

themadchemist
Nov 30, 2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by eclipse525
I've had MacRumors in my bookmark for a long time and never really ventured into the Forums section. In fact, I had tried other forums in the past but they sucked and were not helpful what-so-ever. So, I never joined another forum, thinking most were all like that other one I tried. THEN, out of curiousity I looked into MacRumors forum and was very impressed with how helpful everyone was and how objective most of the MacHeadz in this forum were. So, I sign-in and started posting and it's been a great teaching and learning tool.
~e

agreed! The same was true for me, in a sense. I stumbled upon MacRumors (don't remember how) and only read for several months before I joined. I used it as a rumors source for quite a while, but I felt more motivated to actually join when I saw the rest of the forums. So, when I ended joining and began posting, I felt like I already knew people, although it was more in the sense of having lurked in the shadows, stalking all of you.

Wow, that's a disturbing image.

awulf
Dec 19, 2003, 10:19 PM
I can't remember how I got onto MacRumors.com, but it was some time in 2001, and I got hooked onto the news site. One day in 2002 I got bored and went clicking around on this site, and stumbled on to this forum, and I was like "cool" and signed up. The first Forum that I probably signed up to would have been the Apple Support Forum.

I don't post much, but mostly read.

Hemingray
Dec 29, 2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by iGAV
Joined because I liked the atmosphere and users at that time, like Eye, Alphatech, KC, hemingray, Jef, Dukestreet and a few more who I can't remember off the top of my head... the atmosphere was cool, and the banter solid.... and for some reason it's become 'home' now...

I got mentioned?! :eek: I'm flattered. :D

To be honest, I can't really remember what exactly brought me to MR, I think it may have been through the MacNN forums... haven't posted there in a long time!

edesignuk
Dec 29, 2003, 03:42 PM
You know what? I have absolutely no idea how I came to be here at MR, but I bet you're all glad I am :D ....right? :( :p

King Cobra
Dec 29, 2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by job
What are you smoking iGAV, cause I'd sure like some. :D

Eeeewwww, c'mon, job. You don't want to give the smell of s*** a bad recognition, do you? :eek: :eek: :p :eek: :eek:

On, and edesign, you've been a contribution to MR in introducing some themes to the boards. :p

job
Dec 30, 2003, 09:18 AM
Eeeewwww, c'mon, job. You don't want to give the smell of s*** a bad recognition, do you? :eek: :eek: :p :eek: :eek:

hah!

:p

edesignuk
Dec 30, 2003, 09:34 AM
On, and edesign, you've been a contribution to MR in introducing some themes to the boards. :p
Why, thank you :D :cool:

kevin49093
Jan 2, 2004, 11:39 PM
What I find interesting is that I have been reading the boards, following the discussions since mid 2001. I registered in Feb 2002. I have seen many people come and go. I remember when some people were convinced that agreenster was Steve Jobs himself!

Guess I'm just a quiet guy. (I only joined so that my comments on some off color comments that were being posted might be taken seriously.)

I visit at least once a day, just don't post much.

Does that make me old school?

Mav451
Jan 3, 2004, 12:08 AM
Hehe, i'm not old school at all, having only joined in the summer of 2003.

But it's a new year, so maybe i will eventually become old skl, some day.

So, how did I get here? PowerMac G5. If anything, it was the first thing that caught my eye for Apple. Sure iPods/PowerBooks have been around for a while. Yeah, there was the Yao Ming and Mini Me commercial. But "Fastest Personal Computer" ? That kind of rhetoric garnered my curiousity.

One of my friends, a self-professed geek (yeah i'm one myself), put in his blog the stats of this new machine (insert drools and etc.)

Both myself and another of his friends commented on his post of this "better than PC" machine--1000fsb? That's unheard of! Well, the coming weeks had the entire PC world talking (heck I even headed down to the local Apple Store to ask about this product).

Eventually, after the dust subsided, my friend pointed me to this site. I'm like hey, what better way to learn about Macs then at a forum? Actually, he also pointed me to xlr8yourmac.com but the boards are a bit childish in comparison to macrumors (especially its closed registration?)

Mav451
Jan 3, 2004, 12:16 AM
by the way, the new layout on the front page looks really great. I mean, it is already pretty clean, but by all means, they out did themselves. Plus, Firebird blocks the ad on the top so there is literally a 2" space of that MacRumor blue/purple color, which is so nice to look at. :)

manitoubalck
Jan 4, 2004, 04:12 PM
My old girl friend who is a poster on this fourm (who shall remain annomus,) put me on to this fourm.

Never used the main site, just the fourms.

MoparShaha
Jan 14, 2004, 11:24 PM
I started out with MacOSRumors. I thought that site was really cool. Then I happened upon MacRumors, and my mind was blown! Been here since.

jefhatfield
Jan 23, 2004, 02:52 AM
i might have known at one time, but now i can't recall when i came here

all i know is that i posted as a guest a few times before signing in as jefhatfield, junior member

Pseudonym
Jan 23, 2004, 07:14 AM
Came here first about a year ago. Had just gat an iMac at Christmas and typed in mac rumours (I'm English) into Google and here I am! Took an age to register and post.

My first impression of Macrumors was "There's a big expo in January? New computers?! And I've just got mine?! Nooooooooo!!!";)

michaelrjohnson
Jan 23, 2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by DeusOmnis
I actually heard of MacOSRumors.com first, and i accidentially typed in MacRumors.com a few times. I eventually started reading both sites, then I realized this one is wayyyyy better, lol. Now I love being here, it's my homepage.

EXACTLY the same situation here! i was definitly a MOSR reader, and then a few times, accidentally forgot the "os" and then i realized that this page was SO much better!

though, it wasn't the near empire that it is today, that's for sure!

Spock
Feb 5, 2004, 09:16 PM
I found out about MR from Leo on Call for Help way back when it was on ZD tv

michaelrjohnson
Feb 5, 2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Spock
I found out about MR from Leo on Call for Help way back when it was on ZD tv

wow... how long ago was that? i didn't get that channel until a year ago, but i guess i'm surprised that it was mentioned on a call-for-help...

what was the question?

Roger1
Feb 14, 2004, 07:23 PM
I first heard about this site way back in 2000-2001, and actually registered. But since I didn't post that much, I forgot my login and password, and had to regregister. So I guess I could be old skool, kind of ;) Maybe a mascot or something. :p

MrMacMan
Feb 20, 2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Roger1
I first heard about this site way back in 2000-2001, and actually registered. But since I didn't post that much, I forgot my login and password, and had to regregister. So I guess I could be old skool, kind of ;) Maybe a mascot or something. :p

Isn't there that 'forgot/lost password feature?'

it send a pass to your e-mail address?

Nermal
Feb 20, 2004, 09:25 PM
Like so many of you, I was reading MOSR, then accidentally left out the "os". I probably first visited in mid-2002, but didn't register until the end of the year. This is the first time I've even looked into this "old school" section, but I see some people here who haven't been around for as long as me :)

pimentoLoaf
Feb 29, 2004, 07:21 PM
Can't recall the exact details 'cept I knew I was searching for more pithy solutions to various difficulties beyond the Spartan discussions at MacAddict.

Hemingray
Mar 1, 2004, 10:38 AM
To be honest? I can't really remember. :eek: I think it was through my friend (fellow Mac addict, to be precise) Shaun? Not sure! The MacNN forums were my hangout before here tho. I like these forums much better.

scem0
Mar 6, 2004, 02:48 PM
I totally forgot how I got here.

I probably was searching for Mac Rumors and being the genius I am I typed in MacRumors.com ;).

scem0

Opteron
Mar 6, 2004, 04:28 PM
You know what? I have absolutely no idea how I came to be here at MR, but I bet you're all glad I am :D ....right? :( :p

Same just stumbled upon it one day.

AngryLawnGnome
Mar 7, 2004, 02:51 PM
I was looking for information on some new product, and I stumbled on Mac Rumors, but I never actually found the forum. I was sort of screwing around and causing mischief in my friend's PC forum, and I asked someone about a problem I'd been having with my disk drive. Someone gave me a link here and, needless to say, I didn't go back. :D

womencantsail
Mar 7, 2004, 10:56 PM
A friend told me about it. So I killed him.

g4cubed
Jun 15, 2004, 11:11 PM
A google search about a year ago when I was looking for some upcoming apple info, but never joined until recently. I wasn't sure about this menagerie of mac maniacs, but now I know I'll fit right in. :rolleyes:

themadchemist
Jun 16, 2004, 01:18 AM
A google search about a year ago when I was looking for some upcoming apple info, but never joined until recently. I wasn't sure about this menagerie of mac maniacs, but now I know I'll fit right in. :rolleyes:

MAYBE...there's a rigorous hazing process, you know. ;)

idkew
Jun 17, 2004, 12:28 AM
i have no idea, but i think it was the day of my 20th birthday, or the day after....

this reminds me- we need the registration dates BACK!!!!

Nermal
Jun 17, 2004, 09:17 PM
You registered on 27/9/01. It's in your profile.

idkew
Jun 17, 2004, 10:40 PM
You registered on 27/9/01. It's in your profile.

2 days after ym b-day.

but- i was referring to it being always there, beside your post.

as a badge of honor.

:)

themadchemist
Jun 18, 2004, 01:27 AM
2 days after ym b-day.

but- i was referring to it being always there, beside your post.

as a badge of honor.

:)

Or perhaps a scarlet letter of nerdity...? :D ;)

cb911
Jul 14, 2004, 10:52 PM
i think i found MR after just typing in 'macrumors.com'. i was going to be getting a PB for college, then i found out about rumor sites and wanted to make sure i didint' get one just before new ones came out. and then of course i stayed for the good tech support to be foudn in the forums, very helpful when i was a Mac newbie, and now i stay to help others if i can, and also still get help for different problems. :p

on the subject of Alphatech... he helped me out on more than a few occasions, and he was damn funny when answering some stupid questions from n00bs. :D how come everyone always speaks badly of him?

job
Jul 15, 2004, 06:32 PM
on the subject of Alphatech... he helped me out on more than a few occasions, and he was damn funny when answering some stupid questions from n00bs. :D how come everyone always speaks badly of him?

I think most people didn't like him because he always spoke his mind, even when his opinion clashed with what most of the members thought. He looked 'political correctness' in the face and sneered.

Or maybe it was because he rides a Harley, packs a .45 handgun, and loves beer. :D

King Cobra
Jul 15, 2004, 08:34 PM
When Alphatech was aboard MacRumors, he was awesome in 2001 and early 2002, great in late 2002, all right in early 2003... he's one of those people that takes no bulls*** from others. During 2001 and into much of 2002, MacRumors was a small community with few people at 1000 posts, and few stupid people/total newbs existed back then to get on his nerves. But what happened was he got fed up with people and/or newbs that didn't read his posts correctly, didn't answer his questions, tried arguing with him when he was right, etc., epsecially since the number of arguments that occurred/number of people that gave him a hard time increased. Effectively, he got real sick of it and moved over to the pub.

cb911
Jul 17, 2004, 12:16 AM
Or maybe it was because he rides a Harley, packs a .45 handgun, and loves beer. :D

i knew about the Harley, but a .45? :eek: well, you Americans and your guns.... if he came to Aus riding a Harley and carrying a .45 i'd be scared and probably wouldn't like him either. :p

and come to think of it i do remember that there were quite alot of people annoying Alphatech... oh well that's a shame he left. i dont' know about you guys but i'd be stoked if he came back. :D

and job, new 'tar? or i should say a 'tar. nice.

Nermal
Jul 17, 2004, 08:46 PM
Job's had a 'tar for as long as I can remember. I can't remember *what* it was though.

cb911
Jul 17, 2004, 09:28 PM
i could have sworn that some time in the last week i saw that job didn't have a 'tar? oh well... maybe i'm just losing it. :eek:

Nermal
Jul 19, 2004, 03:54 AM
Maybe he temporarily removed it.