PDA

View Full Version : Once you go thin, you'll never go back (even if the air isn't for you)

mykoljay
Feb 5, 2008, 10:51 PM
This is my opinion. I just got the air a few hours ago. I have a dell regular sized notebook at work. I personally do not see myself ever wanting to carry that work notebook again.

It really puts everything into a new perspective. I live in nyc and spend my time carrying a computer on me at all time (home, girlfriends, school, work, coffee shops). I have a spiral notebook in my bag today with my air and I seriously wanted to replace THAT with a thinner pad (or get rid of it completely).

Maybe the air isnt the solution for everyone, but a gaurantee that all notebooks 1.5 yrs from now will have to be this thin, because I'm sold for life on the size.

Mac newb Disclaimer: This is my first mac and I've looked down on mac for their closed architecture and high priced machines, but I have to admit that I'm a convert now. The UI is amazing and this is defintely the fastest and most responsive computer that I've ever used (no I have not used a mac pro). I love the screen and lighted keys as well.

ViperrepiV
Feb 5, 2008, 11:04 PM
This is my opinion. I just got the air a few hours ago. I have a dell regular sized notebook at work. I personally do not see myself ever wanting to carry that work notebook again.

It really puts everything into a new perspective. I live in nyc and spend my time carrying a computer on me at all time (home, girlfriends, school, work, coffee shops). I have a spiral notebook in my bag today with my air and I seriously wanted to replace THAT with a thinner pad (or get rid of it completely).

Maybe the air isnt the solution for everyone, but a gaurantee that all notebooks 1.5 yrs from now will have to be this thin, because I'm sold for life on the size.

Mac newb Disclaimer: This is my first mac and I've looked down on mac for their closed architecture and high priced machines, but I have to admit that I'm a convert now. The UI is amazing and this is defintely the fastest and most responsive computer that I've ever used (no I have not used a mac pro). I love the screen and lighted keys as well.

oh my god yes, man. I just got this thing tonight and it is amazing....i 100% agree with you

kuwisdelu
Feb 5, 2008, 11:10 PM
Stop it! You're making me want one even more, and I can't afford it yet!

aiongiant
Feb 5, 2008, 11:13 PM
oh hell yes! haha
i agree with your 100% hehe

it makes my macbook pro seem like a 10 year old laptop all big and chunky haha

everything seems so heavy now hahah
maybe i'm turning into a weakling haha

richard371
Feb 5, 2008, 11:19 PM
I just got the black mb last week and after using the air the black mb feels uncompfortable to me now. I think part of it is the 2lbs but also just the look and feel too. Just the tightness and feel is amazing. Cant put it down. i would not have though 2 lbs would have made a diff but you just have to use it to see.

Stop it! You're making me want one even more, and I can't afford it yet!

aiongiant
Feb 5, 2008, 11:27 PM
I just got the black mb last week and after using the air the black mb feels uncompfortable to me now. I think part of it is the 2lbs but also just the look and feel too. Just the tightness and feel is amazing. Cant put it down. i would not have though 2 lbs would have made a diff but you just have to use it to see.

haha
this always comes up with ppl when i tell them to get a laptop
i'm like get that one its 2lbs less or even 1lbs less
and tehres like what i'm not a weakling 1lbs is nothing

i'm like fine buy it!
get back to me in a couple of weeks after using it

and they did and there like omg it's killing me

and i sit back and laugh LOL

Nebrie
Feb 6, 2008, 12:09 AM
People were mocking me last week for wasting my money on this thing. After they saw it today, they quickly shut up and noted how much they envied me. :D

malone
Feb 6, 2008, 09:39 AM
What the OP says is so true. I use both Macs and PCs. My primary computer for about a year and a half was an ultralight ThinkPad X41 (3-3.5lbs, depending on if you had a 4- or 8-cell battery). It wasn't a screamer (performance-wise), but the portability and mobility of it was incredibly, incredibly useful. I could carry it around the home like a book or magazine: I never felt tethered to one particular area like I did with my desktop replacement notebooks.

After the X41, I purchased an SR MBP, and while it was a speed demon, it tended to stay on my desk much more than the X41. Sure, I still brought it around, but believe me, the 2 lbs difference makes a huge difference.

Shaving off 2 lbs sounds like a small number, but it isn't. I see people criticizing others who think that if you can't handle the 2 lbs difference, you have a physical disability. That's not the point. It's about ubiquity: there's a certain threshold in weight and size where objects become very convenient to carry around everywhere you go. Sure, I'm *capable* of carrying around a 5 lbs notebook around with me, but a 3 lbs notebook makes it more likely that I'll carry it around more places.

Consultant
Feb 6, 2008, 01:51 PM

Well a 3, 4 year old PowerBook G4, especially the 17" is still fairly thin compare to many current wintel laptops. =)

When I was testing the MBA. I was able to stand with it on one hand and typing with another hand, didn't even have to flex my arm. (I am used to doing that on 17" MBP)

saltyzoo
Feb 6, 2008, 01:56 PM
This thread is ironic. I was just thinking on my way to work this morning how I could barely tell there was anything in my backpack (MBP & power supply inside) and how odd it seemed to me that people feel they have to have something smaller / lighter.

Put me in the crowd that just doesn't get it. This thing is as powerful as a desktop, and I feel comfortable taking it everywhere I go.

All that said, I still appreciate the air and can't wait until the the technology used in it can help them to pack even more goodies into my MBP sized container. ;)

I'd still rather carry the extra 3 pounds and have a "real" computer. ;)

MazingerZ
Feb 6, 2008, 01:59 PM

What's a "real" computer? Does it exist?

DPGX
Feb 6, 2008, 06:05 PM
As much as I like ThinkPads and I use to be a Lenovo PC guy, this notebook is phenominal. Ive used x41 notebook, x60 notebook and tablet's, and while their build quality is phenominal the portability is nowhere near what the Air is. I had another guy come over today thats a long time thinkpad guy and he was blown away by the Air. Ive had numerous other people that also ridiculed me for purchasing it until seeing it up close. The past two days ive had 20 or so techs walk by and start playing with it to get hands on experience of something everyone has heard about and received nothing but positive feedback (and most of these guys had negative comments prior to this).

NAG
Feb 6, 2008, 06:10 PM
I have to agree that the Macbook Air is ridiculously portable. I mean, Apple laptops are pretty portable and easy to use but this thing is so light and thin it is like carrying around a clipboard. It also doesn't heat up either and is very quiet.

sethypoo
Feb 8, 2008, 01:23 AM
I can't wait to actually use one of these MBA's. I have a 1st revision MBP, which I love, but people are going crazy over the design of these MBA's!

I still think for what my MBP can do, it's pretty small.

applestew
Feb 8, 2008, 03:14 AM
thin is in.

It is like how the iPhone is thin but has a larger footprint compared to other smartphones which are thicker but with a smaller footprint.

The MBA is the same. I have a Sony t series as well. It has a very small screen but is thicker. The MBA just feels so right with its profile. ANSI love the nice screen. Just like how gorgeous the iphone screen is cpared to other smartphones.

Thin with nice screen. The way to go.

quantumbits
Feb 8, 2008, 04:07 AM
Oh puh-leaze. How presumptuous. The fanboys continue to miss the point or are in some serious denial: its a horrible investment decision. Try to rationalize "thin" all you want, but there are objectively superior and more affordable options. So no, until thin doesn't entail paying an absurd premium for a litany of compromises, then I'll happily putz along on my now "roamy," uncompromising, more compact and much more affordable lappy.

But hey, go ahead and revel in your gadget-lust and the conspicuous consumption it enables. :rolleyes:

Queso
Feb 8, 2008, 04:12 AM
I'd still rather they'd made a 12" MacBook Pro. Now that would be the perfect compromise between usability and portability.

davidino77
Feb 8, 2008, 04:38 AM
Oh puh-leaze. How presumptuous. The fanboys continue to miss the point or are in some serious denial: its a horrible investment decision. Try to rationalize "thin" all you want, but there are objectively superior and more affordable options. So no, until thin doesn't entail paying an absurd premium for a litany of compromises, then I'll happily putz along on my now "roamy," uncompromising, more compact and much more affordable lappy.

But hey, go ahead and revel in your gadget-lust and the conspicuous consumption it enables. :rolleyes:

What can be a compromise for you maybe it's not for me. I would not use a firewire port or other premium features missing in the MBA. A lot of people will find it a perfect deal. And stop saying that it's expensive. It's not a normal laptop. In his category (in standard configuration) it's absolutely a right price. And yes, I love gadgets!

iAmLegend
Feb 8, 2008, 05:02 AM
And stop saying that it's expensive. It's not a normal laptop. In his category (in standard configuration) it's absolutely a right price. And yes, I love gadgets!

It's not expensive; its over-priced, and there is a big difference between the two. A Ferrari is expensive, but it's also high-powered. The Air is hardly the Ferrari of laptops.

kresh
Feb 8, 2008, 05:19 AM

I don't mean to be offensive, but when I read your post all I could think was: "Translation; I'm jealous because I can't blow the cash on MacBook Air".

I know you probably didn't intend it that way, maybe it was the tone.

dsnort
Feb 8, 2008, 05:27 AM

Sounds like someone has MBA envy issues!

iBlue
Feb 8, 2008, 05:29 AM
I resent this line of thinking, citing mental trauma to the self-body image issues of females everywhere! :-P

MacRumorUser
Feb 8, 2008, 06:04 AM
quantumbits does seem to have rather a large chip on his shoulder regarding the macbook air if you look at his post history.

If you really don't care about the MBA quantumbits, then why is it you can't simply 'let it go' ?

Instead you continually trawl the MBA subsection where you find any new thread and feel the need to troll attack within it.

The first week of doing this was sad, after three weeks of doing it, don't you think you should give it a rest - or try to work out what the 'real' issue you have with it is.

Either way I'm sure I'm not the only one who is bored with the same old venom and rhetoric you continually post.

Cybergypsy
Feb 8, 2008, 06:43 AM
I also am looking towards my next air, will never go back to those old sized laptops :)

mykoljay
Feb 8, 2008, 07:19 AM

Well - on one hand, I'm going to get a lot more use with this laptop than than using a heavy notebook every once in while.

On the other hand, investment wise - the air is not not good, considering I could by 2 lenovas tablets or a macbook and powerful desktop for the same price. but, to tell you the truth, I think this is worth it. (would have prefered it to be $1400-$1500). If you live in nyc, there are only 2 technology needs: an mp3 player and a notebook. Space and mobility are vital.

johnnyjibbs
Feb 8, 2008, 07:54 AM
It did look pretty neat in the Regent Street Apple Store. But it didn't look particularly thin. ** Puts himself in the camp that doesn't quite get it **

I'd rather wait a few more years until they can get a MacBook Pro that thin, but without any compromise.

rittchard
Feb 8, 2008, 01:22 PM
It did look pretty neat in the Regent Street Apple Store. But it didn't look particularly thin. ** Puts himself in the camp that doesn't quite get it **

I'd rather wait a few more years until they can get a MacBook Pro that thin, but without any compromise.

You really don't get it. At the point there is a "thin MBP" as you call it, the "real" MBP will be twice as powerful and you'll be in the same quandry ;) Engineering/tech = tradeoffs and it will always be that way.

As for price/performance, you can go and price a standard PC laptop with the same specs as an MBP. You can probably find something about half the price, but it wouldn't be a Mac. There are always compromises to be made in multiple categories, whether it be build quality, price, performance, size/weight, etc. The MBA is simply another, unique choice out there.

- - -

Back on topic, I'd agree it will be very hard to go back to a conventional size laptop. My old 6.3 pounder feels like the equivalent of a desktop now. I can't think of what would make me willing to go back. If I want/need full desktop performance (however that is defined), I'll use a desktop.

Eric Piercey
Feb 8, 2008, 01:43 PM
I get it, they're cool, but not everyone creams their jeans over simple lightness or prettiness for that matter. Futhermore, even if those things appeal, some applications require a powerful, portable, port-rich computer.

I like as much power and functionality as I can possibly squeeze into a portable device. Portable- to me- means can easily be moved from one location to another.

My desktop machine can't be easily moved. It weighs 50 lbs.

A MBP can accomplish many of the tasks my Mac Pro can however, and it can be moved around considerably more easily.

The MBA is even lighter still, but it costs the same and does much less than a MBP. If they could add another 10lbs to the MBP and make it 2x more powerful with 2 FW busses, a pro level 512 GPU, more storage - maybe weatherproof I'd be all over it. They could even make it butt ugly.

Some of the fashion minded people just don't get it- there are people in the world who actually need ports and actually do more than type in text. There are people who (know how to) get the computer to do real work, and the beefier the better.

edit.. I said "some of" the fashion minded. I realize there are fashion/design oriented types who do understand pro computing needs and I'm not trying to insult them. I'm just getting tired of people trying to justify their MBA purchases to the point of ramming them down our throats. Great! I can think of 100 things I'd sooner spend that amount of money on. Really. No really. ...Seriously. And yes I agree the MBA is very pretty. I'm sure you'll be the envy of the coffee house / airport.

matt4077
Feb 8, 2008, 01:57 PM
Some of the fashion minded people just don't get it- there are people in the world who actually need ports and actually do more than type in text. There are people who (know how to) get the computer to do real work, and the beefier the better.

Well I do genetic simulations, protein folding etc. I'd certainly call that real work. The MBA will make a great notebook. It's enough to test the algorithms, and the simulations can only be run the cluster, anyway.

It seems most people who claim to be "power users" spend most of their time obsessing about their computer instead of using it to do real work. Hint: retouching your Disney World photos is not work, it's sever dorkism.

There might be some professionals in graphics, videos or music that need fast computers, but even in that field the really great ones spend most of their time thinking or with pen&paper. These so-called "prosumers" mostly fail to realize that skill is more important than the tools you use.

saltyzoo
Feb 8, 2008, 02:17 PM
Well I do genetic simulations, protein folding etc. I'd certainly call that real work. The MBA will make a great notebook. It's enough to test the algorithms, and the simulations can only be run the cluster, anyway.

It seems most people who claim to be "power users" spend most of their time obsessing about their computer instead of using it to do real work. Hint: retouching your Disney World photos is not work, it's sever dorkism.

There might be some professionals in graphics, videos or music that need fast computers, but even in that field the really great ones spend most of their time thinking or with pen&paper. These so-called "prosumers" mostly fail to realize that skill is more important than the tools you use.

I'd say owning one computer to read email on the bus while looking rich and stylish, and another to "retouch your Disney World photos", neither of which meet all your needs, is more "dorkish" than having one awfully darn portable computer that you can do all your work from wherever you happen to be.

But, that's just me.

It is all about trade-offs. That's why I won't pan the air. For some people the trade-offs of the air are worth it. I'll still make fun of people who think so though. ;) Some people think I'm silly for using a MBP as my only computer and not having a desktop. It's all about trade-offs.

diabolic
Feb 8, 2008, 02:24 PM
I'm just getting tired of people trying to justify their MBA purchases to the point of ramming them down our throats. Great! I can think of 100 things I'd sooner spend that amount of money on. Really. No really. ...Seriously. And yes I agree the MBA is very pretty. I'm sure you'll be the envy of the coffee house / airport.

Not half as tired as I am seeing the trolls hammering on the MBA, pretending that they are geniuses because they figured out they can get more processing power, ports, etc. for less money. For the most part, I don't see MBA owners banging on the people who want more specs, they are just saying "don't buy it then". As for the trolls who feel like they have to post 15 times "no firewire is teh suck" and "the MBA might have trouble browsing the web", they deserve worse.

We all know we are paying more money for less power. We get it. We don't care.

I don't care how anyone else spends their money and nobody should care how I spend mine.

Flipping around a quote I saw earlier, spec whores aren't the target market.

I have several Macs and PCs, desktops and laptops, and years of experience building most of them myself, so I know computers, operating systems, and specs. Part of my business involves image and it actually matters how things look, and how things are perceived. Honestly, I am able to charge more money for my work because of image and perception of quality. Using the MBA for client presentation will undoubtedly help that image and be more than worth it's cost to me.

There is nothing I will want to do on the road that I can't with the MBA.

There is a pretty big market out here for the MBA. I've already had several people plan on buying one after seeing mine.

mashoutposse
Feb 8, 2008, 02:47 PM

Yeah, a "real" computer, like a loaded 8-core Mac Pro :p

mashoutposse
Feb 8, 2008, 02:59 PM
quantumbits does seem to have rather a large chip on his shoulder regarding the macbook air if you look at his post history.

If you really don't care about the MBA quantumbits, then why is it you can't simply 'let it go' ?

Instead you continually trawl the MBA subsection where you find any new thread and feel the need to troll attack within it.

The first week of doing this was sad, after three weeks of doing it, don't you think you should give it a rest - or try to work out what the 'real' issue you have with it is.

Either way I'm sure I'm not the only one who is bored with the same old venom and rhetoric you continually post.

They were all so sure that people would hate it once people saw it live and bought it and had to live with it -- "unfortunately," things aren't going that way :D

Fight the good fight, guys.

kuwisdelu
Feb 8, 2008, 03:03 PM

edit.. I said "some of" the fashion minded. I realize there are fashion/design oriented types who do understand pro computing needs and I'm not trying to insult them. I'm just getting tired of people trying to justify their MBA purchases to the point of ramming them down our throats. Great! I can think of 100 things I'd sooner spend that amount of money on. Really. No really. ...Seriously. And yes I agree the MBA is very pretty. I'm sure you'll be the envy of the coffee house / airport.

I don't think it necessarily comes down to fashion/design-minded vs. pro-minded even. There are plenty of "pro" needs that can be satisfied with the MacBook Air, too, but they just happen to be different "pro" needs than a MacBook Pro would satisfy.

I think most people here understand--and I certainly do--that there are plenty of reasons not to buy the MacBook Air if it doesn't fit your needs. There are plenty of times that the power of a bigger machine is needed. But that still doesn't mean that the MacBook Air is only meant for those concerned with fashion or design or want to look cool on the train or in an airport or at Starbucks.

I help out with some advanced physics research here at my university that involves processing thousands upon thousands of events from particle collisions per second. Now that definitely needs some major computing power, and I think it qualifies as a "pro" computing need. But believe it or not, here, the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro are on level playing fields for it, because that's simply too much to ask of either of them. My professors' and my work mostly involve using SSH to remotely log in to a network (wirelessly, of course...) to submit jobs for the real machines to handle (and moreover, the machines that do that dirty work run Scientific Linux and would never fit in a laptop). And if you're a student or a professor that's also running back and forth to classes, and portability is important in that aspect, then the MacBook Air seems like a pretty good choice.

Now there are many other cases and examples that people could come up with, I'm sure, but I just thought I'd share my own. Just felt I should point out that "pro computing needs" != "high performance needs" necessarily. For some people it certainly does, like my friend in graphic design who runs Photoshop CS3 24/7, and he has a MacBook Pro. But the power of the MacBook Air definitely doesn't limit it to people concerned with fashion. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people doing some "real" important work on a lot less. My fiancee is doing research with a professor who was on the team that won the Nobel prize with Al Gore for research in global warming, and he runs Windows 95 on his laptop. I don't even want to imagine the specs on that!

NAG
Feb 8, 2008, 03:03 PM

Yeah, I use my MBA for pretty much the same thing. Basic lab work on the laptop and do the big stuff on a more powerful machine. I can see the Macbook Pro being useful for some people, but for completely different reasons than the Air being useful to people.

Eric Piercey
Feb 8, 2008, 03:04 PM
Mat and Diabolic,

Note the thread title, particularly the "(even if the air isn't for you.)" I'm not trolling at all. My response is merely this: Some of us aren't content with light and pretty. If the metaphor is to compare the MBA to women as the title intones, I'm going to have to say a thin pretty woman with little else to offer is quite inferior to the thin enough, pretty enough, woman with much more to offer.

Furthermore, if all I had to do was retouch photos of my trip to Disney I'd actually consider an MBA. That would mean I had money to spend on a Disney vacation. Diabolic is correct in that the spec whores aren't the target market, nor are people concerned with value. I do actually do video work -some of which involves direct capture from my "prosumer" camera's firewire port to the laptop's fw port... which incidentally also involves an expresscard slot.

I'm glad your customers get all gushy over your fancy laptop. Obviously you're dealing with the gadget loving yet non-technical professional sector which tends to lean toward the executive types. They see you with the latest cool toy and figure this guy is the real deal or at least doing something right.

I on the other hand film horses, and while horse people are many times well to do, they more often than not would see my excesses as a reason to question my prices. We prosumers are typically self-employed and budget minded, and deal on a personal level rather than with "reps" from and or execs from large companies. I'm clearly not as successful as yourself (which is now painfully obvious in my lack of an MBA) and will never be so without putting a third mortgage on my cardboard house if necessary to get an MBA to front success with. (just ribbing you here- but I'll admit I'm not a genetic engineer and I'm very proud of you. I'm sure it wasn't a picnic ascending to that position and you're well within your right to wave around your MBA. You should maybe just get one for the car, home, and office so you don't even have to move it around. Too bad they don't come in colors. (give it 3 months - Apple is very fond of this tactic and they know their target well)

No dude, I just pointed out that the MBA isn't for everyone and made mention that there are people to whom vanity is more important than utility. Good for Apple for catering to both. I'm not hammering the MBA- just those who keep waving them around like they're freakin' Rolexes and telling us we need them "even if they aren't for us" because they're just that great!

NAG
Feb 8, 2008, 03:08 PM
You seem to like attacking people for their choice in laptops. Really, your posts continually throw in negative connotations regarding people who use or like the Macbook Air.

When your main argument is attacking the person you might want to think what you are upset about.

The topic starter just talked about how much he liked the size of the MBA. If you're so hung up about the title implying that thin = better than wow. You really missed the point.

diabolic
Feb 8, 2008, 03:51 PM
I'm not hammering the MBA- just those who keep waving them around like they're freakin' Rolexes and telling us we need them "even if they aren't for us" because they're just that great!

If you can link to a post to back that up, I'll apologize. The thread title is obviously talking about the thinness alone, not saying it's better than more powerful systems.

EDIT: Also, no matter what your personal feelings might be, the thinness is definitely striking, and it's immediately what everyone I've shown it to has been drawn to.

DPGX
Feb 8, 2008, 04:07 PM
I work in a very technical portion of the industry and I have had numerous CCNA, CCIE and various other industry certified technicians stop by to check out my AIR since I purchased it and were quite impressed with it. Obviously spec for spec it doesnt compete with a Macbook Pro and I also love my MBP, but for the hardware Apple squeezed into this little unit its still pretty impressive when comparing to other ultra portable and lightweight solutions. Its not intended to compete with a Macbook Pro, and if you expect it to, obviously youre going to be let down by its performance from that standpoint however... If you travel frequently and anyone that has had to run through an airport in a hurry (and I have numerous people that will agree with me on this one) that 3 pounds is a giant difference.

If the Air doesnt appeal to you, maybe it does seem like a waste but for the market it targets, it does its job amazingly.

ahaxton
Feb 8, 2008, 04:14 PM
I love my MBA. I wanted something that was extremely portable and good looking. Its really amazing how a couple pounds and thinness can make it where you don't even give it a second thought to bringing it everywhere. To me and I think many others, if I need the power that you find in a MBP, I'd just use a desktop for that. I think with the launch of the MBA, I think it makes the MBP market actually smaller. I can now have the look and quality build of a MBP (maybe a little better even than a MBP) in an actual portable laptop. I was going to buy a MBP for sturdy construction, looks, LED backlight and backlit keyboard since it was my only choice for a laptop in the apple line that I would spend money on (MB is not my thing). If I needed to do something that would need the power of a MBP, I would use a desktop at home.

Eric Piercey
Feb 8, 2008, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure why I was even posting much less being an ass about it. I really don't care about the issue enough to warrant it, so I apologize. If your MBA makes you happy and does its job well you enjoy. MBA owners win, Apple wins.. and with Apple's success we all win. I've been bitter lately for many reasons.

roland.g
Feb 8, 2008, 05:30 PM

Sorry but the MBP is the PB case, and as evidenced it hasn't changed in some time and doubtful it will without some revolutionary changes in tech. So the MBP is not going to get any thinner for some time, at least 2-4 years if that.

As for all the MBA haters and trollers, not saying you johnny, just quantumbits and some of the others around, what their problem is, is that they anticipated an Apple ultra-portable and didn't get exactly what they wanted. It's as simple as that. They didn't think they would lose so much and expected Apple to find some ultra-Apple way to cram more ports and what not into it, defying all logic. And I have looked online at the Sony competition and it is equally priced and similarly powered. Many may say that the MBA is underpowered, however it is not a MBP nor meant to be. And for what it is meant to be, the 1.6/1.8 C2D will suffice and is competitive.

ob81
Feb 8, 2008, 05:34 PM
When the lights go out, the Air is just a thin computer that runs OSX with out an optical drive and has a crappy battery. It is thin. It is a thin computer that runs OSX. That's it. It is expensive also.

I think the Air is brilliant by the way, and I am in the portable market that the system claims to be in. I tend to think a little more into detail about expensive things because my son needs diapers and my wife needs shoes. After sleeping on it a few days, I figured I had to be a freaking idiot to buy that thing.

I will see you at 120gigs and under 13".

roland.g
Feb 8, 2008, 05:51 PM
When the lights go out, the Air is just a thin computer that runs OSX with out an optical drive and has a crappy battery. It is thin. It is a thin computer that runs OSX. That's it. It is expensive also.

I think the Air is brilliant by the way, and I am in the portable market that the system claims to be in. I tend to think a little more into detail about expensive things because my son needs diapers and my wife needs shoes. After sleeping on it a few days, I figured I had to be a freaking idiot to buy that thing.

I will see you at 120gigs and under 13".

Sorry but you have a relatively new Aluminum iMac, a new iPod Touch, an Apple TV, and a Santa Rosa BlackBook, so it doesn't seem that you're hurting too much to buy diapers and shoes, since all those purchases are fairly recent. And while I put diapers as a necessity, women's shoes can range from necessity to shoe fetish, which at this point picking up a MBA to add to your < 1yr old Apple collection is as well.

leifp
Feb 8, 2008, 05:58 PM
To those who think the MBA is a compromise and that a 'real' computer is like their MBP I just have a few words. ALL LAPTOPS ARE COMPROMISES. Don't want to make a compromise? Buy a Mac Pro and load it up. When I had my own business I had a nice dual 1GHz PowerMac with dual displays, blah blah blah and it ROCKED. Then I got a 1GHz PowerBook so that I could be portable while still doing pro-photo work. It was a compromise that no matter HOW it was tuned could not REMOTELY hold its own against my tower. I for one will only compromise for a laptop again as a secondary computer and in this respect the MBA is ne plus ultra and the moment I can afford it I will help Steve with his retirement fund... Grumpiness over. Thanks for reading... :o

ahaxton
Feb 8, 2008, 06:02 PM
To those who think the MBA is a compromise and that a 'real' computer is like their MBP I just have a few words. ALL LAPTOPS ARE COMPROMISES. Don't want to make a compromise? Buy a Mac Pro and load it up. When I had my own business I had a nice dual 1GHz PowerMac with dual displays, blah blah blah and it ROCKED. Then I got a 1GHz PowerBook so that I could be portable while still doing pro-photo work. It was a compromise that no matter HOW it was tuned could not REMOTELY hold its own against my tower. I for one will only compromise for a laptop again as a secondary computer and in this respect the MBA is ne plus ultra and the moment I can afford it I will help Steve with his retirement fund... Grumpiness over. Thanks for reading... :o

Exactly!

I can't believe some people don't just understand that for some of us a MBP would be overkill. Majority of us would not use all that power while being portable. There's a reason why there are powerful desktops. For a lot of us if we need power we'll use a desktop at home. Then theres of course us who don't need anything but the MBA. We need portability and sturdiness and never will need the power of a MBP or a powerful desktop.

ahaxton
Feb 8, 2008, 06:07 PM
Sorry but you have a relatively new Aluminum iMac, a new iPod Touch, an Apple TV, and a Santa Rosa BlackBook, so it doesn't seem that you're hurting too much to buy diapers and shoes, since all those purchases are fairly recent. And while I put diapers as a necessity, women's shoes can range from necessity to shoe fetish, which at this point picking up a MBA to add to your < 1yr old Apple collection is as well.

I'll have to agree. If you buy that much in Apple products in a short time span, you are not exactly worrying about diapers. I spend a lot on Apple and all in the past 6 months, but I'm not worrying where money is coming from for necessities. May be bad to say, but if diaper money is a worry, I think "freakin idiot" has already happened.

ob81
Feb 8, 2008, 06:15 PM
I'll have to agree. If you buy that much in Apple products in a short time span, you are not exactly worrying about diapers. I spend a lot on Apple and all in the past 6 months, but I'm not worrying where money is coming from for necessities. May be bad to say, but if diaper money is a worry, I think "freakin idiot" has already happened.

I refreshed my mac line-up the good old-fashioned way by selling my old stuff. Sold my old iPod, macbook, powerbook, macbook pro, and imac. I really only tacked on a few hundred extra bucks for all of my purchases.
It seems that the whole diaper thing was taken too far. This is to be expected here though. It was merely stated to emphasize that a little thinking before purchases in my situation is needed, and I would be a freaking idiot to blow money on a device that wouldn't be beneficial in the short/long-term.

NAG
Feb 8, 2008, 06:21 PM
Trying to win the hypocrite post of the year award? You're completely overreacting here. But I guess if you want to see idiots and enemies everywhere it would be nice if you expressed your oh so valuable opinions in a little more civil manner.

QuarterSwede
Feb 8, 2008, 06:26 PM
Now you all know why the 12" PowerBook was so coveted and why everyone was screaming for a smaller MacBook. Apple definitely went the extra mile. The Air even makes my 12" PB look like a cow.

thejadedmonkey
Feb 8, 2008, 06:32 PM

I can see you've never used a thin laptop before.. After having used one for 3-4 years, it makes my MBP (15") seem huge and heavy. The Air isn't for me (no Firewire) but I completely agree with the OP.

ob81
Feb 8, 2008, 06:32 PM
Trying to win the hypocrite post of the year award? You're completely overreacting here. But I guess if you want to see idiots and enemies everywhere it would be nice if you expressed your oh so valuable opinions in a little more civil manner.

If I saw enemies and idiots on macrumors, I wouldn't be a member of the forums. Maybe you are over-reacting? Unlike you, it isn't my job to defend/oppose the Macbook Air. After being a Mac fan for this long, this is the first time I have seen other like minded mac users act this (for lack of better term) lame. I guess I am venting. Still doesn't make you or anyone else here my enemy though.

GoCubsGo
Feb 8, 2008, 06:52 PM
I have to agree with the OP that this size will eventually become the standard. I don't claim to be a guru or anything but this is the first mac my friend bought and he has me help set things up. I really actually find myself wanting one but I need a desktop a bit more right now so perhaps in 3-6 months. ;)
I simply love the trackpad.

etorres
Feb 8, 2008, 07:19 PM
OK I know the MBA is thin, I know that is lacks feature, and I know that it is less powerful than a macbook pro, but I like it and I bought it.

I am so tired of people criticizing the MBA and people who bought it as if there is something wrong with the MBA, or us.
Stop comparing it with the MBP, I know what the capabilities and features of the MBP are, and decided I DID NOT WANT ONE! I know a MBP is $200 more, I dont care.

It kinda gets me angry that some people want to piss on us because they somehow think they are the ones who decide what a computer should or shouldnt be, and what is best for ME.
It smacks me of arrogance that they feel the need to belittle us MBA for purchasing such a great machine. If you are happier with a MBP or even a MB then by all means by those instead. The MBA isnt made for you.

I have my macbook air a week already and I take it with me everywhere. It was exactly what I was looking for in a laptop and I dont miss any of the "missing" features (well maybe firewire, as I have a firewire external drive) but it's nothing I cant live without.

Many of these posters are just mean spirited and feel a compulsive need to belittle those of us just because the MBA doesnt meet some kind of personal requirements. If you are bitching about the MBA, then it obviously isnt for you. Please, by all means, buy a MBP and write about how superior you are to us mere MBA owners... in the MBP forums.

I apologize for going on, but I just had to say something. This forum is for those of us who own or are interested in owning MBA's. Talking about the "lack" of features is ok, but lets do it in a respectful way people. I resent people who dont know me insinuating things or being plain desrespecful simply because they dont agree with my purchase.

diabolic
Feb 8, 2008, 07:22 PM
It kinda gets me angry that some people want to piss on us because they somehow think they are the ones who decide what a computer should or shouldnt be, and what is best for ME.

I guess I am a complete idiot that just went, "Ooh, shiny!" and blew a bunch of money on something that I'll regret later. ;)

ahaxton
Feb 8, 2008, 07:31 PM
OK I know the MBA is thin, I know that is lacks feature, and I know that it is less powerful than a macbook pro, but I like it and I bought it.

I am so tired of people criticizing the MBA and people who bought it as if there is something wrong with the MBA, or us.
Stop comparing it with the MBP, I know what the capabilities and features of the MBP are, and decided I DID NOT WANT ONE! I know a MBP is $200 more, I dont care.

It smacks me of arrogance that they feel the need to belittle us MBA for purchasing such a great machine. If you are happier with a MBP or even a MB then by all means by those instead. The MBA isnt made for you.

I have my macbook air a week already and I take it with me everywhere. It was exactly what I was looking for in a laptop and I dont miss any of the "missing" features (well maybe firewire, as I have a firewire external drive) but it's nothing I cant live without.

Many of these posters are just mean spirited and feel a compulsive need to belittle those of us just because the MBA doesnt meet some kind of personal requirements. If you are bitching about the MBA, then it obviously isnt for you. Please, by all means, buy a MBP and write about how superior you are to us mere MBA owners... in the MBP forums.

I apologize for going on, but I just had to say something. This forum is for those of us who own or are interested in owning MBA's. Talking about the "lack" of features is ok, but lets do it in a respectful way people. I resent people who dont know me insinuating things or being plain desrespecful simply because they dont agree with my purchase.

Me too! I take it everywhere I go. What I like about the MBA is it doesn't give you that weird feeling "why am I lugging this around everywhere?". Better yet from other people, "why are you lugging that iBook, MB, MBP etc around?"

Its so portable that it really is as much of a everyday accessory as my iPhone. I don't feel weird at all :D

saltyzoo
Feb 8, 2008, 07:45 PM
Me too! I take it everywhere I go. What I like about the MBA is it doesn't give you that weird feeling "why am I lugging this around everywhere?". Better yet from other people, "why are you lugging that iBook, MB, MBP etc around?"

Its so portable that it really is as much of a everyday accessory as my iPhone. I don't feel weird at all :D

Yeah, they know exactly why you're lugging the air around. To show off. ;)

Just kidding. Seriously though, you guys should take the chip off your shoulder. Who cares if people think you're silly? Let them. Or you're in danger of having people think you are defensive because you realize you made a mistake. ;) Just kidding again.

Enjoy the silly thing and don't worry about what people say. I sound like a teacher in grade school now.

ob81
Feb 8, 2008, 07:55 PM

Well, noone is pissing on you. There is nothing wrong with owning a Macbook Air, especially if you have the dough to burn. Dive in. I almost bought one myself, but went with the macbook becuase the cons were a bit much for me. Preference.

Now the issue: Does the Macbook look crap to me, or is the MBP too heavy since the Air was announced? No. If more Air users just simply enjoyed their systems and stopped making excuses for purchasing them, less innocent individuals like yourself would feel offended.

mashoutposse
Feb 8, 2008, 08:18 PM
LOL, the "self-convincing" continues...

If more Air users just simply enjoyed their systems and stopped making excuses for purchasing them

Do you think that the majority of MBA owners aren't enjoying their systems? :p

Not to pick on you, but we can see perfectly clearly that you want believe that everyone is dissatisfied with their MBAs so you can feel better about your BlackBook purchase. It's a great computer -- why have you spent the majority of your time here instead of in the MB forum? Dude, you just bought your MB yet only 4 of your last 50 posts were made on the MB/MBP forum -- wanna take a guess at how many were made here? :p LOL! :D

I agree with you; we're all fans of Apple products -- there's no reason for all of the backhanded comments and trolling and whatever. All of the machines are great and properly serve their respective purposes.

ahaxton
Feb 8, 2008, 08:34 PM
Yeah, they know exactly why you're lugging the air around. To show off. ;)

Just kidding. Seriously though, you guys should take the chip off your shoulder. Who cares if people think you're silly? Let them. Or you're in danger of having people think you are defensive because you realize you made a mistake. ;) Just kidding again.

Enjoy the silly thing and don't worry about what people say. I sound like a teacher in grade school now.

lol, it does get a lot of attention, a bit more than I got when I got my iPhone, weird eh?

The people that think we are stupid have just been limited to a minority of individuals on tech addict forums.

I have a ton of people in awe over it and in the past few days asking if they can buy it yet in the store.

kuwisdelu
Feb 8, 2008, 08:48 PM
Now the issue: Does the Macbook look crap to me, or is the MBP too heavy since the Air was announced? No. If more Air users just simply enjoyed their systems and stopped making excuses for purchasing them, less innocent individuals like yourself would feel offended.

Excuses for purchasing them? I'm pretty sure they're just trying to put some reason into this discussion by explaining to the haters just why the MacBook Air is a good purchase for some people, and why it doesn't deserve to be hated. Reasons != excuses.

Does the MacBook look like crap to me or did the MBP get heavier since the Air came out? Certainly not. But then I don't think anyone's saying that. I have a MacBook and I think it still looks great, but I think the MacBook Air looks great, too. I got the MacBook because--actually--I did find the MBP too heavy and bulky and didn't want to lug that around every day to class. But that doesn't mean it's not a great machine for those who don't mind that/need it/want it. It's certainly a great machine! I didn't buy an Air because I don't need a new computer yet, but if I did would it be because the MacBook is too heavy? No! The MacBook didn't get any heavier. It would be because the MacBook Air is even lighter and thinner--which isn't to say that the MacBook is suddenly too think...it's just saying there's an even lighter and thinner option which may or may not be more convenient, if that's what you want and you don't mind the trade-offs.

In my opinion, any of those haters that talk about MBA owners needing "self-convincing" of their purchase are just trying to convince themselves that their MacBook or MacBook Pro is really what they wanted, when deep down they yearned for an Air... If that weren't the case, I imagine they'd be off "enjoying their system" in the MB/MBP forums rather than trying to assure themselves they have a "better" machine in here... ;)

mashoutposse
Feb 8, 2008, 08:57 PM
In my opinion, any of those haters that talk about MBA owners needing "self-convincing" of their purchase are just trying to convince themselves that their MacBook or MacBook Pro is really what they wanted, when deep down they yearned for an Air... If that weren't the case, I imagine they'd be off "enjoying their system" in the MB/MBP forums rather than trying to assure themselves they have a "better" machine in here... ;)

Exactly.

I feel that the MacBook and MacBook Pro are excellent computers. As long as Apple keeps making them, there is no reason to be so down on the idea of a third and completely separate product line.

ob81
Feb 8, 2008, 09:00 PM

Do you think that the majority of MBA owners aren't enjoying their systems? :p

Not to pick on you, but we can see perfectly clearly that you want believe that everyone is dissatisfied with their MBAs so you can feel better about your BlackBook purchase. It's a great computer -- why have you spent the majority of your time here instead of in the MB forum? Dude, you just bought your MB yet only 4 of your last 50 posts were made on the MB/MBP forum -- wanna take a guess at how many were made here? :p LOL! :D

I agree with you; we're all fans of Apple products -- there's no reason for all of the backhanded comments and trolling and whatever. All of the machines are great and properly serve their respective purposes.

I got my MB after the announcement of the Air. I don't need to feel better about my purchase. I had 14 days to change me mind. You are kind of off on that one. I had urges to get the Air, but due to everything it lacks, I was never going to take back the Macbook, only get the Air as an addition (which would be silly, but every apple fan should feel tempted. A new apple product was released for Christ's sake).

The novelty of new Apple products has worn off for me. The Air is the hot topic. I had a Black Macbook CD the day it came out. That was ober a year ago. My new Blackbook looks just like it, only fast and bigger harddrive. I rarely post in the iMac forums either. I have owned like 4 already. My new one is just a different color. After owning a few, you tend to realize that Macs are simply a fast, faster, fastest type of deal, and they all pretty much are the same. I think that is why the comparisons seem idiotic to me. As they all are pretty much the same.

mashoutposse
Feb 8, 2008, 09:20 PM
After owning a few, you tend to realize that Macs are simply a fast, faster, fastest type of deal, and they all pretty much are the same. I think that is why the comparisons seem idiotic to me. As they all are pretty much the same.

Continuing along that path, the MBA is simply another form factor in the line of boxes that run OSX. Asking Apple to make it into another MBP or MB doesn't make sense as both computers already exist.

I think the furor will die down once the MBPs are updated and all the disgruntled waiters get their release.

ob81
Feb 8, 2008, 09:38 PM
Continuing along that path, the MBA is simply another form factor in the line of boxes that run OSX. Asking Apple to make it into another MBP or MB doesn't make sense as both computers already exist.

I think the furor will die down once the MBPs are updated and all the disgruntled waiters get their release.

Well, in agreement, I think people wanted a Macbook Pro in a 12" case. It sounds silly to people who were aware of the "ultraportable" scene, but unfamiliars think that it is absurd to make a "weaker" spec comp. An ultraportable shouldn't be about power, but portability. I guess people would drop dead seeing Sony's 1.06ghz ultraportable :D

mashoutposse
Feb 8, 2008, 09:47 PM
Well, in agreement, I think people wanted a Macbook Pro in a 12" case. It sounds silly to people who were aware of the "ultraportable" scene, but unfamiliars think that it is absurd to make a "weaker" spec comp. An ultraportable shouldn't be about power, but portability. I guess people would drop dead seeing Sony's 1.06ghz ultraportable :D

I think their handheld UX units are still on Core Solo :eek: Starting at the low, low price of $2499!

I don't see Apple going back to 4:3 screens. A smaller MBP would simply be a MacBook in aluminum -- now who's valuing form over function ;)

etorres
Feb 9, 2008, 03:27 AM

Actually they expected a 12" macbook pro with a 4 GHz quad core CPU, 32 GB of RAM, two 512 MB video cards for gaming that weighed 12 ounces. The battery, while nuclear powered, would be user replaceable of course.

Anything less would automatically be considered an utter and complete piece of crap not worth your money.

Anuba
Feb 9, 2008, 04:57 AM
I'm sold on the size... problem is I can't afford the SSD model, I'll have to go with the one with the 'iPod HDD' in it. Is it livable? I mean, I gave up 4200 RPM drives aeons ago, I have 7200 in my current notebook. If the performance is noticably sluggish compared to a regular MacBook or MacBook pro, I really don't care how razor thin this thing is...

kyleen66
Feb 9, 2008, 06:34 AM
I'm sold on the size... problem is I can't afford the SSD model, I'll have to go with the one with the 'iPod HDD' in it. Is it livable? I mean, I gave up 4200 RPM drives aeons ago, I have 7200 in my current notebook. If the performance is noticably sluggish compared to a regular MacBook or MacBook pro, I really don't care how razor thin this thing is...

I got one with the 1.8 and the 80 GB HD.

To me, it seems almost as fast as my first gen MacBook Pro. The only thing I noticed is that it takes a HINT of a bit longer switching applications. But once in the program, I don't see a discernible difference. I'm sure there is, but I don't keep up with nanoseconds.

Sweetbike40
Feb 9, 2008, 06:36 AM
I can't see why anyone would think it's silly to have a MBA. People that say that are clueless. I'm talking about people you may come into contact throughout the day, not on MacRumors. If i had to carry a laptop with me everyday, i'd upgrade my desktop and get an Air. My MBP is much more powerful than my 1st generation G5 so now it's become my main computer and i store stuff on the tower. But if i HAD to take it with me everyday... i have to admit... it's heavy. So yeah..... thin is in.

EDIT: I should add that IF i ONLY had to carry my MBP with me, i'd be ok. It only gets heavy for me because of all the other stuff i take with me everyday. Lunch, purse, and gymbag. I feel as though i'm packing for an overnight stay everyday i walk out the door. It drives me nuts how much i have to take.

raremage
Feb 9, 2008, 06:50 AM
I can see you've never used a thin laptop before.. After having used one for 3-4 years, it makes my MBP (15") seem huge and heavy. The Air isn't for me (no Firewire) but I completely agree with the OP.

Agreed, although I never thught of the MBP as particularly bulky, I've preferred a lighter notebook (had a Dell x300 for a couple years, as well as a Thinkpad x40) for the past several years as well. I accept the fact that I will make compromises when away from my office in order to reap the rewards of less weight.

In my opinion, the MBA minimizes many of those compromises - the keyboard and display being two key considerations.

The biggest inconvenience for me so far is the single USB/lack of ethernet combo. If the MBA has either a second USB port or an ethernet port, it would be much more convenient for me. This is not a deal breaker though - I can work around the issue, but it would cut down on the stuff I carry with me, that's for sure.

BlakTornado
Feb 9, 2008, 09:36 AM
I want one so badly :(

But I think "I can get a Macbook for half the price with a lot more power". I won't be buying until 2009, I don't think, though... so no worries yet. I'll see how they turn out in the next year :) Who knows? They'll likely get thinner anyway.

ob81
Feb 9, 2008, 03:49 PM
I want one so badly :(

But I think "I can get a Macbook for half the price with a lot more power". I won't be buying until 2009, I don't think, though... so no worries yet. I'll see how they turn out in the next year :) Who knows? They'll likely get thinner anyway.

Doubt they will get thinner. The technology inside the Air is likely to advance and be availiable in high capacity/smaller sizes.