PDA

View Full Version : I need some pricing help.

menoinjun
Apr 28, 2002, 12:40 AM
Hey all. I'm one of those guys that just can't sit still with what they have, even if it works great. I'm still paying off my mac, but I'm itching for a dual 1ghz, even if G5's are around the corner. I was just thinking about what I could get for my computer. Here are the specs:

Dual G4 533mhz
768mb PC133 CL3 RAM
40gig 7,200 rpm HD
20gig 7,200 rpm HD
9.1 gig 10,000 rpm UW SCSI HD
Adaptec PowerDomain 2940UW scsi card
Radeon 32mb DDR video card
CD-RW
Internal Zip 250mb
17" Apple CRT Studio Display (ADC)
Pro Mouse and Keyboard
2 years of AppleCare still left with tech support

Software: (all original disks, boxes and manuals included!!)
Mac OS 10.1
Adobe Design Collection (Photoshop 6, Illustrator 9, InDesign 1.5, Acrobat 4)
Dreamweaver 4
Quicken Deluxe
Alice
Rogue Spear
All original system disks and developer tools.
I could load it up with other stuff (FCP 3, etc...) but it's not what we all like to call LEGAL.

You see, I'm about to get a free 21" monitor, and I'd like to get a faster computer. I use FCP3 a lot now, and I am itching for more realtime effects. I'm pretty dumb, I can't leave well enough alone. This computer absolutely flies, and I have never had a problem with it, but I feel the need...the need for speed. To tell you the truth, I'm not really serious about selling it unless I get a great offer, but my mind is open. Any ideas on what it would go for? Does the included software help? They are all the original disks!! (design collection is educational though)

Thanks.

-Pete

Beej
Apr 28, 2002, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by ptrauber
I could load it up with other stuff (FCP 3, etc...) but it's not what we all like to call LEGAL.No. We'd like to call it legal... it just isn't ;)

I'd wait for MWNY. If some killer machine is released there, but you've already bought a dual gig G4, you'll be spewin'. If nothing brilliant is released, as long as the PowerMac line is updated (a sure bet in my books) you will be able to get a cheaper dual gig, or maybe fork out the backs for whatever is released, maybe a dual 1.2 gig.

But it's your money ralph, so don't let the people here boss you around too much :)

Rower_CPU
Apr 28, 2002, 01:37 AM
I agree with Beej...from what I've heard ANY dual performs great in OS X, and it's truly a case of dimishing returns as you go up in MHz. You probably won't see a huge difference between a dual 533 and a dual GHz in everyday apps.

True, you're missing out on the real-time effects in FCP3 right now, but I think it will still be worth the wait for "the next best thing".

Mr. Anderson
Apr 28, 2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by ptrauber
I use FCP3 a lot now, and I am itching for more realtime effects.

Go to

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/final_cut_pro_3_tweaks/final_cut_pro_3_tweaks.html

to get a little script that will help with the FCP realtime issues. You should wait for a new machine at MWNY, its not that far away.

With the script it should give you a little extra life until the new machines come out. And just be patient, because even with the realtime effects, you're still going to be waiting for it to render the final movie and all the non realtime supported transitions.

void
May 6, 2002, 07:35 PM
i think u should buy both dude! buy the dual 1 gig and the g5 later! Oh! and dont forget to buy me one too!

menoinjun
May 23, 2002, 09:47 PM
riiiiight. Hell, I just bought a digital camcorder, new bass and new amp, so why not? New G4s for everyone!!!

-Pete

void
May 29, 2002, 08:28 PM
naw man! i meant the g5! u can get that for 100,000 bux on the black market, but that also isn't what we like to call LEGAL...