PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Steve Jobs Announces the iBook eBook Reader

MacBytes
Feb 5, 2008, 11:28 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Opinion: Steve Jobs Announces the iBook eBook Reader (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080206002844)
Description:: Though his article is pure speculation, Jim Lynch over at ExtremeTech has a few good reasons that Steve Jobs has an iBook eBook reader up his sleeve.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

shadowfax
Feb 6, 2008, 01:52 AM
I don't think it gets much dumber than that...

I don't think Steve Jobs ever ridiculed the phone market. Or if he did, he was wrong. But he's right about books. People don't read, by and large, sad as that is.

Feb 6, 2008, 02:31 AM
I think such a thing should exist (Kindle) however Apple manufacturing ones would be a big mistake. There's no money there. People don't really read books much any more, and those who do are probably more likely to just buy/borrow and read real books.

It would have to be a really good product to get much of the market. People can go and read good books for free or very little by going to the library (Be it school/uni or a public library). To mach that peope would have to be able to read full length new released (and classics, etc) books for free. And that's not gonna happen. They would have to employ people to make an iRead Book Library and convert books into the right format and index them. And what about books that aren't digital? They would need to be typed. That's a lot opf jobs for just about no gain.

Sorry, but my money's on that Apple will not release a Kindle killer.

ob81
Feb 6, 2008, 03:57 AM
Shut the hell up with this "people don't read books" crap. This Jobs penis riding is getting on my last nerve. People do read books. All the freaking time.
You all sound stupid repeating that.

Kilamite
Feb 6, 2008, 07:00 AM
Shut the hell up with this "people don't read books" crap. This Jobs penis riding is getting on my last nerve. People do read books. All the freaking time.
You all sound stupid repeating that.

I thought it was well known that the number of people was declining..? I don't read, none of my mates do, their parents don't really read.

Books were good before the invention of the television. I'd rather sit on my arse and watch something than all the effort of reading.

dsnort
Feb 6, 2008, 07:10 AM
I love to read. I used to read all the time, 2 to 3 books a week.

Sadly, I simply don't have time anymore.

Reading is time consuming. You need time to yourself. Since I've gotten married and had kids, I don't have that time to myself much anymore.

Plus, my wife doesn't read for enjoyment, so, if she sees me reading she assumes I'm bored and sits down to talk to me. Do you know how hard it is to enjoy a book with someone nattering away in your ear?

mainstreetmark
Feb 6, 2008, 10:03 AM
I doubt they'll waste time on a single-tasker like a book reader, when the same hardware could run OSX, have a touchscreen and become a tablet. And, if it's a tablet, then it can do stuff beyond read PDFs, such as perhaps run a weather widget.

saltyzoo
Feb 6, 2008, 10:17 AM
Statistics can be manipulated to say anything you want.

"Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year."

This means that 60% of the people in the US read at least 2 books a year. Sounds like a good market to me.

PlaceofDis
Feb 6, 2008, 10:20 AM
its sad that there is less and less reading happening.

or is it that reading is just no longer confined to papers/books?

ErikAndre
Feb 6, 2008, 10:25 AM
I guess if anyone askes Steve about any product and Steve honestly thinks its a bad idea, that it automatically becomes something Apple is working on in the background? I mean, seriously... :confused:

PlaceofDis
Feb 6, 2008, 10:29 AM
Nah... SJobs was right in his quote... its a dying market. He only talked about it because someone asked him.

I guess if anyone askes Steve about any product and Steve honestly thinks its a bad idea, that it automatically becomes something Apple is working on in the background? I mean, seriously... :confused:

but what if the device, is more than just a reader? what if its small, opens enough so thats its easy to read, and can browse the web anywhere (thinking wimax and other protocals other than wifi)?

how much time do we just spend reading online. news? forums? etc.

angelwatt
Feb 6, 2008, 10:59 AM
I read books every day pretty much, and so does my family, and so do my friends and co-workers. There's plenty of people reading and if Apple could make a device that makes it easier to travel with them more people might bring along reading material as they go places. Books are bulky and not very easy to take with you, but electronics, we do that all the time.

I very much believe Apple will create a way to download and read books, but do doubt it'll be a device that only does that. It will be integrated with something to make it more usable and applicable for people.

rockinrocker
Feb 6, 2008, 11:07 AM
I think such a thing should exist (Kindle) however Apple manufacturing ones would be a big mistake. There's no money there. People don't really read books much any more, and those who do are probably more likely to just buy/borrow and read real books.

maybe the number who do is declining (sadly), but there's always plenty of people at the library when i'm there, and there not just checking out cd's.

but i agree with the statement that reading is much more likely to be done w/ real books.....

i can see the one exception being students working on projects w/ a large number of bulky reference books. then something like a kindle would be a real life saver. can't imagine there being to much of a market for that, though....

digitalnicotine
Feb 6, 2008, 11:07 AM
If Apple does decide to make a Kindle killer, it will look a lot cooler. If not, we still have the Kindle, paper books, and Sony's version. I read often, and prefer paper books myself. They never need recharging, completely portable, etc. If in the future, reading goes digital across the board, I'll adapt. If not, no big deal.

LethalWolfe
Feb 6, 2008, 11:24 AM
Will Apple incorporate an eBook reader into an existing or yet to be released device? I think so. Will Apple release a stand alone eBook reading device along the lines of Kindle? I doubt it.

Lethal

LizKat
Feb 6, 2008, 12:57 PM
I don't think it gets much dumber than that...

I don't think Steve Jobs ever ridiculed the phone market. Or if he did, he was wrong. But he's right about books. People don't read, by and large, sad as that is.

yeh i dunno. his crack about people not reading leaped out at me like that green thing in The Killers video for Read My Mind. I paused the playback and went back a little and played it again, actually. nice script...

time will tell.

zap2
Feb 6, 2008, 01:20 PM
I don't think well see an ebook reader from apple, but the ability to read ebooks on ipod touch/iPhone would be welcomed