PDA

View Full Version : Beefed-Up iPhone Is Likely a Precursor To Diversified Lineup

MacBytes
Feb 5, 2008, 11:36 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Beefed-Up iPhone Is Likely a Precursor To Diversified Lineup (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080206003600)
Description:: Subscription required

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

notnek
Feb 5, 2008, 11:41 PM
Not too sure about that. But I guess we'll see later this year.

encro
Feb 6, 2008, 12:28 AM
Well that article said pretty much nothing; Of course there is going to be new iPhone's at some point.

While I can understand why the iPhone sells quite well in the US but for the rest of the world such as many parts of Europe and Asia Pacific we look at it as being already redundant as our mobile networks are so much further advanced.
The only way for Apple to meet it's sales target is to release a 3G phone.
Only then do they have a chance at making serious inroads at being a worldwide solution.

aki
Feb 6, 2008, 12:43 AM
While I can understand why the iPhone sells quite well in the US but for the rest of the world such as many parts of Europe and Asia Pacific we look at it as being already redundant as our mobile networks are so much further advanced.
The only way for Apple to meet it's sales target is to release a 3G phone.
Only then do they have a chance at making serious inroads at being a worldwide solution.

yes i think apple have some very hard thinking to do about iPhone/touch in Japan...the market for phones is very different here... everybody loves the touch and ipods so of course a normal 3g iphone would sell... but to really be competitor they have to change some basic things eg. text entry for japanese is toooooo sloooooow... that just wont work the way it is now... if they get text working ok and the sdk lets companies set up all teh social networking stuff that people use all day and night then it might get big

shadowfax
Feb 6, 2008, 01:37 AM
I don't know if I would go so far as to say theycan't meet their 10 million phone goal if they don't roll out 3G, but it would probably be very difficult to do so--certainly it would be very close. But it seems quite clear to me that they would sell like hot cakes if they did release a 3G version. I would expect the sales to skyrocket upon that release--there are people in the US that are holding out for 3G, and our 3G network is pretty small and spotty. I can't even imagine the boost that will be in Europe.

mainstreetmark
Feb 6, 2008, 07:56 AM
I don't have any sort of desire to go through the effort to get a password to read that article, but can i assume that the Author pulled that one out of his a$$? Does he have a source, or is he speculating.

"The iPhone now comes in 16GB, which means it will likely rain soon"

happydude
Feb 6, 2008, 08:06 AM
iphone 2 coming out has been "rumored" since the day jobs said a 3G would come out some time this year. obviously a new one is coming out. it's like saying, "the new york giants won the superbowl, so expect eli manning to start as quarterback again next year."

mainstreetmark
Feb 6, 2008, 09:46 AM
iphone 2 coming out has been "rumored" since the day jobs said a 3G would come out some time this year. obviously a new one is coming out. it's like saying, "the new york giants won the superbowl, so expect eli manning to start as quarterback again next year."

The New York Giants won the superbowl? Why didn't that make the news?

ewxlt
Feb 6, 2008, 10:05 AM
Non-sequitur article.

Mykbibby
Feb 6, 2008, 10:52 AM
Simply releasing the iPhone with added 3G will do them no good. Most people that would be buying don't even know what 3G is! What needs to come with the 3G is a new design... thinner, INTEL!, 32 GB HD option, larger screen, etc. A New design is what will make people buy... nothing else.

twoodcc
Feb 6, 2008, 10:58 AM
well, that stinks that you gotta be a subscriber to read the article. so i didn't get to read. sounds like i didn't miss much though

drwam
Feb 6, 2008, 01:34 PM
Why is Apple #2 is smartphone sales to RIM? Do people buy Blackberrys for web browsing or media features? No, they buy Blackberrys primarily for their integration with corporate email servers like Microsoft Exchange. The iPhone cannot be easily used with such email systems right now. Therefore people who depend on Exchange email every day of their lives (and there are millions of these folks) have not bought iPhones. Why Apple does not integrate an Exchange client into iPhone is beyond me. They could sell millions more phones and they could cut off some of RIM's air supply. Microsoft will license the rights to develop a client to Apple just the way they license to RIM and Palm for their clients (or the Justice Department will hear about it). Apple needs to stop hurting its sales with this self inflicted deficiency.
But yes, 3G and the SDK are also critical to expand the iPhone's capabilities and to expand the smartphone market overall. Apple needs to both pick the low hanging fruit and grow the market with new capabilities.

JNB
Feb 6, 2008, 01:46 PM
Why is Apple #2 is smartphone sales to RIM?

Apple has a single model, and it's been out all of six months. Give 'em a chance... ;)

Alrescha
Feb 6, 2008, 02:54 PM
Why Apple does not integrate an Exchange client into iPhone is beyond me.

Every person in my company has an iPhone. We happily access our email, corporate VPN, and communicate via our iPhones. We couldn't care less if Apple adds an Exchange client.

I suggest that this is the future that Apple would like to promote, not integration with Microsoft products.

A.

benlee
Feb 6, 2008, 03:58 PM
The expansion of memory was a precursor to the SDK and running parallel with lowered prices of the RAM.

Apple is going to have to do more than add 3G for the iPhone2. There is definitely going to have to be a redesign and perhaps a couple more features (video camera to name one). I own an iPhone and 3G alone would not make me bite and buy a new one.

zap2
Feb 6, 2008, 04:57 PM
The only way for Apple to meet it's sales target is to release a 3G phone..

Kind of doubt that...4 million in the few locations they have launched, with (at max) 6 months of sales...launch in new places, plus they have 12 months to sell 6M phones....plus a new 16gb mark.

encro
Feb 6, 2008, 11:23 PM
Simply releasing the iPhone with added 3G will do them no good. Most people that would be buying don't even know what 3G is! What needs to come with the 3G is a new design... thinner, INTEL!, 32 GB HD option, larger screen, etc. A New design is what will make people buy... nothing else.

3G is a very marketed phrase outside of the US as a part of the network. I think I would be very hard pressed to find someone who doesn't know what 3G is here. The uptake of 3G in the US isn't as high yet, hence different mindsets and awareness.

Heck even 3G is old, we already have 3.5G networks in active use and 4G towers in testing.

encro
Feb 6, 2008, 11:25 PM
Kind of doubt that...4 million in the few locations they have launched, with (at max) 6 months of sales...launch in new places, plus they have 12 months to sell 6M phones....plus a new 16gb mark.

You're right, perhaps I should have said that growth would accelerate rapidly if it became an option. Apple will eventually meet the target regardless albeit at a slower pace.

The SDK and the apps that become available will also be a huge driver in market share gain also.

ewxlt
Feb 7, 2008, 09:17 AM
Let's not forget you STILL can't delete more than one email at a time on an iPhone.

If you have one email account and you use to get updates on your MySpace...then that's fine.

But if you have a real job, more than 1 email account and have to sift/read/delete 100+ emails a day...that's a deal breaker.