Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kantonaxtwoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
hey i was wondering if the bluetooth on mba's support A2DP for bluetooth stereo headsets? this would be very useful since the headset jack on the mba not 100% compatible with all headphones

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I have Motorola Active S9 Bluetooth Headphones, and will test them out later this week hopefully when my Macbook Air arrives. It should work. How well is another story.

I stopped using them on my iMac because of the massive skipping. I think it is due to the fact that I both a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but still, the point was to be all wireless and it doesn't work great.

Hopefully since I will have nothing bluetooth with the Air they will work flawlessly. I'll let you know.

enochpeng

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
ow about a pair of bt speakers? That would be great to hear instead of the mono speaker

kantonaxtwoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
I have Motorola Active S9 Bluetooth Headphones, and will test them out later this week hopefully when my Macbook Air arrives. It should work. How well is another story.

I stopped using them on my iMac because of the massive skipping. I think it is due to the fact that I both a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but still, the point was to be all wireless and it doesn't work great.

Hopefully since I will have nothing bluetooth with the Air they will work flawlessly. I'll let you know.

how are the s9's because ive been looking into a set theres that and the cardo s2's

jbarnhardt

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
I have the Moto S9 headphones and they work fine with my Macbook Air 1.6/HD model. Paired right up, shows as both a headset (for mono apps, with mic support) and as headphones (stereo, no mic). You can pick either profile to use. I was playing music from iTunes and it worked great, YouTube audio also fine. I did notice that if I had a bluetooth mouse active at the same time it became pretty choppy. So basically the BT headphones work well, but you don't want to have any other BT devices active at the same time.

-John

emil10001

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
I have the Moto S9 headphones and they work fine with my Macbook Air 1.6/HD model. Paired right up, shows as both a headset (for mono apps, with mic support) and as headphones (stereo, no mic). You can pick either profile to use. I was playing music from iTunes and it worked great, YouTube audio also fine. I did notice that if I had a bluetooth mouse active at the same time it became pretty choppy. So basically the BT headphones work well, but you don't want to have any other BT devices active at the same time.

-John

I have a pair of HT-820 bluetooth headphones, and have tested a2dp playback on a number of devices. I haven't tried a2dp playback while using a bluetooth mouse, but I have done a2dp while doing bluetooth Dail Up Networking. The playback skips for a second when connecting, but then resumes normal playback, with no quality issues. The playback is very smooth, and less choppy with DUN going than windows or linux. However, I'm not sure what bitrate it's sending to my headphones (I could define that in linux).

I will have to hook up some more bluetooth stuff to this to try them out, and see how much stuff i can get working at once before it becomes an issue. I have a couple of keyboards, a mouse, a gps unit, cell phone, n800 and headphones. If I do this soon, I'll post results.

eyecool

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Does anyone use or know of a bluetooth stereo headset w/ mic? I have a MP on the way and am looking for something good that works with OS X.

emil10001

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Does anyone use or know of a bluetooth stereo headset w/ mic? I have a MP on the way and am looking for something good that works with OS X.

Both the Moto S9's and the Moto HT-820's have mics and do the headset profile. I actually just tested that profile out with gizmo earlier tonight, and it didn't sound too great, though I'm not sure where the quality issue was coming from.

When you connect your headphones, there will be a bluetooth icon on the menubar. Just click on that, then to the headphones on the dropdown and choose between headset and headphones.

eyecool

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Both the Moto S9's and the Moto HT-820's have mics and do the headset profile. I actually just tested that profile out with gizmo earlier tonight, and it didn't sound too great, though I'm not sure where the quality issue was coming from.

Which set do you have. If both, which do you prefer?

etorres

macrumors member
May 26, 2007
I just bought a pair of Motorola S805 DJ style bluetooth headsets and I love them. I prefer DJ style headsets as they cover my ears and drown muffle outside noises. They also keep my ears warm. :)

LwPhD

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
Here's my fix for the choppiness...

It turns out that there is an easy fix for the choppiness, at least on my 17″ Al PowerBook G4. It turns out it is choppy because of the priority of the program called “BluetoothAudioAgent”. So, in order to fix it, here’s what I did…

First open up a terminal.

Then type the following command:

Code:
sudo ps -A                 \
| grep BluetoothAudioAgent \
| tr -s ' '                \
| cut -f 2 -d ' '          \
| head -1                  \
| sudo xargs renice -19

You need to have admin access to make this work. Also, make sure that you copy all lines of it and paste it into the terminal window at once.

After you press return, type your administrator’s password. All this does is look for the BluetoothAudioAgent among all running processes, pulls out its process id, and feed it into “renice” so that it gets a very high priority. Thus, when you are browsing the web or whatever, this program always has enough attention from the processor in order to serve up your music without being choppy.

I'm sure this can be automated with something like cron, but for now, I'm just issuing the command at need.

Cheers,

LwPhD

-John

GenFranco

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
worked with mine

I have a plantronics p590, and it took a long time to recognize. But once it did, and I got them paired, it worked fine.

disruptor108

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
It turns out that there is an easy fix for the choppiness, at least on my 17″ Al PowerBook G4. It turns out it is choppy because of the priority of the program called “BluetoothAudioAgent”. So, in order to fix it, here’s what I did…

First open up a terminal.

Then type the following command:

Code:
sudo ps -A                 \
| tr -s ' '                \
| cut -f 2 -d ' '          \
| head -1                  \
| sudo xargs renice -19

You need to have admin access to make this work. Also, make sure that you copy all lines of it and paste it into the terminal window at once.

Does this work on a Macbook (2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 10.5.2)?

Here's what happens when I run this code...

Code:
*******-macbook:~ *******$ sudo ps -A                 \
> | grep BluetoothAudioAgent \
> | tr -s ' '                \
> | cut -f 2 -d ' '          \
> | head -1                  \
> | sudo xargs renice -19
renice: 266: getpriority: No such process

GenFranco

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
bt speakers

ow about a pair of bt speakers? That would be great to hear instead of the mono speaker

Sharper Image KP 500 BT speakers work well and easy to pair. I had to tweak some itunes settings tho to get it to sound nice.

danwolkenfeld

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
sudo ps -A \
| tr -s ' ' \
| cut -f 2 -d ' ' \
| head -1 \
| sudo xargs renice -19

I have an old Powerbook G4 15" 1.33 GHz and the sonorix C3 lapel stereo bluetooth headset (you can plug in your own earbuds or patch cord into this device, and it doesn't decorate your head, which I like a lot). The audio coming out of the Mac was fuzzy, not just choppy. Doing the trick above improved the situation a lot, and changing the renice to -22 made it perfect. Thanks!

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
What kind of range are you guys/girls getting with the bluetooth headsets?

how far can you walk away? and does it get choppy first - or just cut right out if you get out of range?

thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.