Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lisag

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Dallas
We've posted a review of both models at MobileTechReview.com. The review does a great deal of comparison with other ultraportables (Windoze) on the market since our specialty in notebook reviews are the ultraportables and subnotebooks. The MBA does very well in terms of price in the 3lb. and under category :).

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/MacBook-Air.htm

MazingerZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
We've posted a review of both models at MobileTechReview.com. The review does a great deal of comparison with other ultraportables (Windoze) on the market since our specialty in notebook reviews are the ultraportables and subnotebooks. The MBA does very well in terms of price in the 3lb. and under category :).

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/MacBook-Air.htm

You're in trouble now...you think that the MBA is an ultra-portable! You know there was a committee here of co-workers involved that declared its not an ultra-portable. :p :D :D :D

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Sorry, can't see you mentioning the class leader - which is the Lenovo Thinkpad X61 anywhere. In fact, I can't find Lenovo anywhere on your site.

Care to explain?

Tummy

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
That was a good review, I clicked on several of your banner ad links for you.

I liked that you have some content on Windows as well, but would have liked to see a comparison to the Thinkpad X6x series.

mashoutposse

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2003
That didn't disappoint -- excellent review! :apple: I too come from the world of VAIO subnotebooks; I agree that the MBA nails it in places where previous Sonys (and other manufacturers' models) have missed. The VAIO X505 was by far the closest to the ideal subnotebook, with its decently-sized keyboard, eye-friendly screen size/resolution combo, and extreme thinness. I am glad that Apple decided to do their own take on that classic machine instead heading down the more gimmicky, "not-quite-pocketable" design route.

lisag

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Dallas
Our Lenovo is under tablets, not notebooks (besides subnotebooks, our other gig is tablets). I won't comment on the "class leader" comment ;).

Sorry, can't see you mentioning the class leader - which is the Lenovo Thinkpad X61 anywhere. In fact, I can't find Lenovo anywhere on your site.

Care to explain?

dannn

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
very good review in my opinion...
it reviews the the macbook air in the right perspective--as an ultraportable.
like the review said, all ultraportables require sacrafices and apple's mba is no different...

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
That doesn't have an internal optical drive either. How WILL we survive?

Your point being? You know, since the article is looking at comparable machines?

To paraphrase:

It's better to not type anything and be thought a cock than to type something which confirms it.

Anyway...

lisa, not sure I would describe the X61 as a tablet although the X61s is definitely one. Lenovo definitely describe the X61 as an ultraportable as do most reviews but anyhoo...

As for market leading, the X61 is currently PC World's top rated ultraportable and I think that most reviews agree. It's getting a bit heavy now but then I suppose that's why the X300 is coming out soon.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
Your point being? You know, since the article is looking at comparable machines?

To paraphrase:

It's better to not type anything and be thought a cock than to type something which confirms it.

Anyway...

lisa, not sure I would describe the X61 as a tablet although the X61s is definitely one. Lenovo definitely describe the X61 as an ultraportable as do most reviews but anyhoo...

As for market leading, the X61 is currently PC World's top rated ultraportable and I think that most reviews agree. It's getting a bit heavy now but then I suppose that's why the X300 is coming out soon.

A cock? You kiss you boyfriend with those fingers? And I guess you're not getting my dry sarcasm. You cock. :)

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
My point being: I have never heard anyone whine and moan about the X Thinkpad not having an internal optical drive. But I've read dozens of megabytes of whining about the Macbook Air not having one.

My point: Mac users LOVE to bitch and whine about everything.

maxtivoli

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
okay, back to the point

I think the original question--and one I have myself--is that, given it seems the SSD is not enough of a difference for me to be worth the price, should I bother upgrading to the 1.8 or stick with the 1.6, enjoy it, and hope perhaps in a few years I can swap a more excellent drive? I'm talking about HDD only. Advice seems to be generally: save your money, get the 1.6, it's nearly the same.

Yet part of me knows generally one gets the fastest one can afford, and I can afford the 1.8. Perhaps it simply isn't noticeably faster!

Thanks!
Andy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.