Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chp5592

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
I must say that my standard Macbook Air preety much has the fan going full bore if I am running just Safari (with a Java window open) and MS excel 2004. That is 6200 rpm per iSTAT pro widget. I did not think this would be the case, but after two days of productivity, normal use, that fan is on at max almost 90% of the time. CPU temperature seems almost always above 135 degree F. Yes, the computer is on a flat surface and vent is NOT blocked.

I am wondering if this is normal use situation or if I have a bum Air?

Also, I am noticing the hard drive clicking sounds, which I didn't know still happened with modern hard drives....

I was expecting a quiet experience, but it is not the case at this point. My Air is moving too much Air.

chp5592

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
How long have you had your unit? Spotlight indexing?

I don't think so. I have been using since Friday last week. (I had preordered). It doesn't show up as processes. Is there an easy way to check if initial indexing is done?

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
It no longer happens here. I've been using it three days now.
I've run down my battery to 0% a couple times then recharged it till it said battery finishing charge then I unplugged the power adapter and plugged it back in then rebooted. Nothing over 2500 rpm's anymore not even with my external hd connected.

mquattrone

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
I'm having the same problem. I picked up my MacBook Air (1.8, SSD) on Monday. So far I have only installed Office 2008 and iSTAT. After a restart and only launching Safari, iSTAT shows that my fan is running at 6200 RPM almost 100% of the time.

Michael

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
noisy here too

I have had my Macbook Air 1.8 SSD for two days now and my fan is constantly cranking. It is a constant go for me. I have been downloading my exchange mail so that could be a reason but I hope it quiets down eventually. This could get annoying.

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
There is minimal fan noise with general use. So far, the only time I've seen it spin up to full 6200 RPMs is when I imported 5000+ pictures into iPhoto. The temp at one point reached 181F, but I'm used to the heat with my SR MBP. :)

The Air is turning out to be one awesome little Mac. My wife's now eyeing mine. :eek:

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
I finally got my fans to crank up to 6200 RPM. I was expecting it to be loud. It's not. I am in a completely silent room right now, and it's far, far from annoying. Guess I am used to hearing my G5 fire up like a jet engine.

chp5592

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Just double checking, have you restarted the machine recently? That can sometimes help.

That seems to have helped! Interesting that Safari threads have gone from 30's to less than 10. Is it possible that safari processes "hang on" even if you quit and restart (and clears when you restart?)

I'll post updates later on my fan/noise situation.

chp5592

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Also another thought. When the fans were going gangbusters, I was connected to the charger (I usually do when I am sitting at my work desk). But at home now, sitting on my sofa, I am on battery.

Perhaps this makes a difference if OSX decides to go full performance (unnecessarily perhaps) when it is connected to power while when on battery the CPU goes in to better power saving states (thus cooler).

I suggest those who have constant fan on problem to try the reboot as suggested and also try running off the battery.

rost12

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
Just picked up my MBA today (1.8, SSD). Right after I first started it, fans were noticeably loud. As per iStat widget, they've been running at 6200 RPM the whole time.

Right now I'm on battery power with no applications other than Safari running... it's been on for 4 hours now, so I doubt it's indexing for Spotlight. And the fans are working on full blast.

I sincerely hope this isn't the way it's supposed to be, given other people's comments about how quiet MBA's are...

Giving it till tomorrow noon, then back to the apple store I go :(

loghyr

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
I've moved my old Shuttle SS51G (domain server) to another room.

I've shut off my AMD 64 gaming rig (really quiet for a AMD 64).

All I have on is a Mac Mini, a Sun Ray 1G (fanless thin client), and my MacBook Air. Every time I start to notice noise, I realize that the furnace has kicked in or the ceiling fan is too loud.

Heh, I turned off the ceiling fan and I heard the furnace kick on.

I can't hear my MacBook Air over that sound. I can hear a bird outside...

pjmurphy77

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2003
I know its not an excuse, but Apple typically will release SW updates addressing fan, battery issues. I remember seeing these within a month or so of getting a new machine...

I've moved my old Shuttle SS51G (domain server) to another room.

I've shut off my AMD 64 gaming rig (really quiet for a AMD 64).

All I have on is a Mac Mini, a Sun Ray 1G (fanless thin client), and my MacBook Air. Every time I start to notice noise, I realize that the furnace has kicked in or the ceiling fan is too loud.

Heh, I turned off the ceiling fan and I heard the furnace kick on.

I can't hear my MacBook Air over that sound. I can hear a bird outside...

loghyr

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
I know its not an excuse, but Apple typically will release SW updates addressing fan, battery issues. I remember seeing these within a month or so of getting a new machine...

I was trying to say that my Air, with the HD, is quiet. So quiet that other noises are driving me crazy.

kyleen66

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I have a hearing impairment, so I'm probably not the best to comment.

Still, I've been in the quiet house and have heard NOTHING.

I do not have that widget installed to check though.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
1.6 here and I have yet to hear any noise whatsoever fan wise. :eek:

It is certainly cooler on the lap than either the macbook or macbook pro too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.