Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
:(

Both from the HDMI and Component video out, on power-up I just get the apple logo and some digital-looking-static on the screen.

I can hold the "Menu" and "-" to try and do a factory reset, and the screen blanks out for a sec, but just comes back to the staticy page.

See the screen here:

brick-tv.jpg

-h

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
It looks like one of those posters where if you cross your eyes long enough you can see a sailboat or something. :D

But seriously... have you checked the integrity of all your connections at both ends? Have you checked your input settings on the TV? If you wait a while does it ever get off the Apple screen and show the main menu or is it perpetually stuck here?

If you can't get it to go past the Apple screen, I can't recall off hand if there's a software reset from within iTunes or if you'd have to take it in and have the Genius Bar restore the software somehow to determine whether the software or hardware went bad.

Without more information, a proper diagnosis can't be made.

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
The Status Light blinks-amber on power-up. It blinks approx 31 times then goes blue (or is it green?).

If I hit remote keys, the light goes off on the keypresses.

While on, if I press and hold the "Menu" + "-" keys, the display goes off and it appears to reboot - get the blinking amber lights again, then back to blue.

I've tried both the HDMI and Component video outputs on my Sony TV, and also on a Dell Monitor.

Incidentally, I have a second AppleTV (a newer 160gb version) that works fine on my TV, so I'm assuming the display settings are acceptable.

thanks,
-h

P.S. I think I can see the sailboat now...cool!

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Also to the other question(s).
I've left it on for hours and it never goes beyond that screen.
It doesn't show up in iTunes Devices.

I'll probably take it to the Genius bar later tonight.
This unit was pre-ordered last year when they came out, and so I've only got a few weeks left on the hardware warranty.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I'd say it's blown. That pattern is very consistent with failing or overheated GPU/video RAM. A software corruption could cause this problem, but on a stabilized platform like the Apple TV, i doubt it.

gershwin27

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2007
Phoenix, AZ USA
Hello,

I would first make sure the remote is paired correctly, just to be certain something isn't intermittent. Hold "Menu" and "<<" for 6 seconds.

After that, maybe try the factory reset again: "Menu" and "-" for 6 seconds.

Also, if you hold "Menu" and "+" for 6 seconds does it start cycling the resolution? Could it be a resolution issue?

Other options would be to try different cables or even a different TV... just to rule out everything else.

If everything fails, seems like it is a Apple service issue. I hope it's still under warranty. If not, perhaps formatting the hard drive using some of the hacking methods will solve it - if it's a software issue, that is. However, by the looks of it, seems like it's probably hardware. :(

Thanks,

James

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Thanks for the additional remote-key-sequences. I didn't know about those.

Still no change however; it definately seems to be bricked.

I'm inclined to think it's a hardware problem as well...
I'll take it to the apple store and re-post what they find here.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Thanks for the additional remote-key-sequences. I didn't know about those.

Still no change however; it definately seems to be bricked.

I'm inclined to think it's a hardware problem as well...
I'll take it to the apple store and re-post what they find here.

Did you have the device closely surrounded by other objects or in an enclosed cabinet, or a tight shelf space with limited vertical and horizontal clearance?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Is there anything (like a subwoofer) nearby causing electromagnetic interference?

Is there any high-wattage appliance plugged into the same outlet or a nearby outlet (refrigerator, high speed fan, coffee maker, practically anything that wouldn't normally be found next to a TV)?

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Is there anything (like a subwoofer) nearby causing electromagnetic interference?

Is there any high-wattage appliance plugged into the same outlet or a nearby outlet (refrigerator, high speed fan, coffee maker, practically anything that wouldn't normally be found next to a TV)?

EM interference wouldn't cause his AppleTV to get stuck on the startup logo. It might explain display distortion but not the system freeze.

It's most likely that the machine's fried... just a question of what fried it.

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
Yeah, it sounds like a hardware problem.

When you press 'Menu' and '-' together, it reboots the ATV into recovery mode.

I would definitely take it in.

Kevin

cowm007

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
Yo, I had a similar trouble with my  TV. Took it to the Apple Store and they said the video card was overheating or something. Definitely a video issue though, so if you're still in warranty, take it to the  store and they'll replace it on the spot.

hunter1234

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
Did you find out what the cause was?

Harley3k - I have an Apple TV that is experiencing the exact same problem that you describe, including the pixelated Apple logo screen.

I've tried resetting it with the Menu and "-" command, and it restarts several times (including a green screen), but never gets beyond the Apple logo. The light flashes amber for several minutes, then turns blue but nothing happens.

I was curious if you found out what the cause was when you took it into the Genius bar. Mine is out of warranty...

Thanks

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I took it in to the Apple Store.
They just gave me a replacement because it was still under warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.