Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
London, UK.
Hello people. Saved up some money and want to buy a MBP. I sold my Macbook to get the "new one" they were gonna let loose at Macworld. However that went down the pan when I saw the specs of the cripple that is the Air ;). It does look amazing, but It isnt up to the job of being my only computer.

So I thinking about getting a 12" PowerBook and a 20" iMac. Then I have light, small and reasonalbly powerful machine on the go for web, light photoshop, reason and serato.

Its just the fact that I can't justify the cost of an Air and an iMac. Thats wayy to much, but if I went for the Air then I'd need a proper Mac based in the studio...and the good old PB G4 is quite cheaply had now...

What do you guys think about this?

Thanks, Joe.

jjasonwrght

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
I'd say painfully wait 2 weeks, and if by then there is nothing, then I guess thats a good idea.

Joe2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
London, UK.
Happy PowerBook User!

Well considering my situation and uses for a computer, I made the following decision...

I got the 12" PowerBook. Got a great price (£400) on an excellent condition 1.5Ghz, 768MB, 80GB, Super. It looks brand new and feels very snappy in Tiger.

Along with this I also bought, a brand new iMac. 20" 2.4Ghz with 2GB ram.

I made this decision as my needs for a powerful computer are music applications, mainly Reason, Cubase and Serato Scratch. I also use the CS suite for school stuff. All of this stuff is done sitting at a desk, ideally with a big screen. If I had a 15" MBP then I'd be compromising on screen size and power for these tasks and also compromising on size/weight when using it on the go.

I really wanted a 12" PowerBook when I bought my first iBook. It was the best looking computer I've ever seen. And now I have one - its great!

I can now have the best of both worlds, using the PB as a note taking, web surfing, music listening and serato'ing machine. And the iMac as a Music production / editing machine.

I'm quite happy actually - spent less then it would have cost me to get the MBP I wanted as well! :D

My question now is...

Is there anyway of getting more than 1.25GB of ram into the PB?

I'm sure I read somewhere that it is possible to put a 2GB stick in there - if you can find one of the correct specification.

Anyone tried this?

Would this be the "right spec" http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119498

Thanks, Joe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.