PDA

View Full Version : Macbook won't charge, magsafe light is barely lit green

webon
Feb 6, 2008, 09:27 PM
Alright, I've been checking forums for the last three hours and none seem to have the problem I'm having. It started last night when my adapter freyed, melted and became useless (a common problem with the MagSafe). I called to bitch to Apple, but they just wanted to make sure nobody died and no houses burned down and then told me to go buy a new adapter. I did that today, but now my computer wont hold a charge and is stuck at 0% and shows the charged icon over the battery. The weird thing is that the light on the MagSafe head is an extremely dim green. You need to turn the lights off to really see that it is lit, but very weakly. So, I went back to the Apple store and tried the charger on a different computer and it worked fine. And we tried a completely different charger on my macbook and the same dimly lit light thing happened. So i dont think its the charger. Then we put my battery in a different macbook and it took a charge. So i dont think its the battery. Any ideas??? Is it a coincidence my 18 month old hassle-free (until now) macbook has had two problems in the last 24 hrs?? Oh, and she isn't under warranty. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...

noodle654
Feb 6, 2008, 09:41 PM
Alright, I've been checking forums for the last three hours and none seem to have the problem I'm having. It started last night when my adapter freyed, melted and became useless (a common problem with the MagSafe). I called to bitch to Apple, but they just wanted to make sure nobody died and no houses burned down and then told me to go buy a new adapter. I did that today, but now my computer wont hold a charge and is stuck at 0% and shows the charged icon over the battery. The weird thing is that the light on the MagSafe head is an extremely dim green. You need to turn the lights off to really see that it is lit, but very weakly. So, I went back to the Apple store and tried the charger on a different computer and it worked fine. And we tried a completely different charger on my macbook and the same dimly lit light thing happened. So i dont think its the charger. Then we put my battery in a different macbook and it took a charge. So i dont think its the battery. Any ideas??? Is it a coincidence my 18 month old hassle-free (until now) macbook has had two problems in the last 24 hrs?? Oh, and she isn't under warranty. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Wait...Apple made YOU buy a new adapter? That isnt right, it is a common problem and you should get a brand new one from them! I would call AppleCare and request a repair to solve the problem.

scienide09
Feb 6, 2008, 09:41 PM
That's obviously a hardware failure, not to mention a serious safety hazard. Press the issue with Apple -- the fact that your house did not burn down doesn't mean they aren't responsible for the damage to your computer.

jeff3221
Feb 6, 2008, 09:43 PM
Not sure how to answer your problem, but to make sure it doesn't happen again, dont pull on the wire, just pull on the actual thing that plugs in and lights up. Just push down or up, and it will not fray or harm the wire.

suckfish
Feb 25, 2008, 12:49 AM
I've had this problem twice. Yes twice with the same Macbook. The only solution is to replace the main logic board. The problem happened about 4 months ago, was sent to Apple for fixing after all the troubleshooting steps. They replaced the LB. Problem happened again this weekend, so I dropped my computer off again with Apple to fix. Big pain in the ass. Oh and BTW, Apple first suggested I buy a new battery but that didn't solve the problem and they wouldn't take it back. Ha!

mb83
Mar 2, 2008, 08:39 PM
hey suckfish, can i ask if you have applecare or if not, did apple make you cover the cost of repairing the logic board?

i have this exact same problem on my fourteen month old macbook and of course don't have applecare. it started out of nowhere and from what i can tell is no fault of my own. i've talked to other people who have had this same issue as well. i was told by apple that my only option would be to suck it up and pay the $1000 to replace the logic board, or to just get a new system, and i can't afford to do either of those things.

chinarider
Mar 2, 2008, 08:44 PM
Before we start talking about other hardware failures, are you sure you bought the correct wattage adapter?

phatcat
Mar 2, 2008, 10:44 PM
For those w/ hardware failures on machines which are <2 yrs old, how did you pay for you mac? If you used AMEX, it doubles the manufacturer warranty. Other cards may offer similar guarantees. Call them up or check the fine print.

dubels
Mar 3, 2008, 03:05 AM
First did you drain your battery all the way to dead? MB batteries have a tendency to die after being drained. Ask the Genius to place a new battery in there to test it. Secondly Apple has been replacing the power adaptors due to them being fire hazards. I am most likely going to try to get Apple to replace mine because its starting to bind at the mag connector and I don't want to come home to burned down house due to their design flaw. My friend got one replaced by Apple according to them because it was a "fire hazard." http://www.appledefects.com/?p=285 and here is the "new improved adaptor" http://www.appledefects.com/?p=250

mb83
Mar 3, 2008, 06:51 AM
dubels - in my case i was running off the battery and then shut the lid of my computer overnight, putting it to sleep. the problem began the next morning when i woke up to find that my battery had drained to like, 10% or something low like that, and my computer would no longer charge it. now my battery is totally drained so if i unplug the adapter, the computer shuts off.

when i brought it to the genius bar, they tried both my battery and my power adapter on another macbook, and both worked perfectly (the mag safe light came on and everything). they also tried a new battery in my computer and that too would not charge.

thanks for your suggestions though.

suckfish
Mar 5, 2008, 05:44 PM
hey suckfish, can i ask if you have applecare or if not, did apple make you cover the cost of repairing the logic board?

i have this exact same problem on my fourteen month old macbook and of course don't have applecare. it started out of nowhere and from what i can tell is no fault of my own. i've talked to other people who have had this same issue as well. i was told by apple that my only option would be to suck it up and pay the $1000 to replace the logic board, or to just get a new system, and i can't afford to do either of those things.

Fortunately I had Applecare since the problem started when the computer was about 7 months old. This last time I brough it in, I felt compelled to buy Applecare (it is expiring this month) because who knows when this problem will happen again. Incidentally, when my Macbook came back from Apple, it had a crack in the keyboard plastic...I haven't fought that battle yet.

mneur
Jun 20, 2009, 06:23 AM
I have the same problem with my 17" MBP 2.33 C2D. The battery is new. It was exchanged by apple some months ago, because it had swollen. I've confirmed that the new battery works properly in other MBP's. The power supply is also working with other Macbooks.
I'm very afraid that the motherboard is the problem, which is very unfortunate considering the hefty price for a replacement. I guess my notebook has just been demoted to a desktop machine :(

TF01
Jan 24, 2010, 10:32 AM
i have read a lot of different threads on many different sites and this problem sounds most like the input output board, that has all of the plugs built into, went bad. it is actually a separate board from the main logic board and thus costs significantly less. it is fairly easy to replace yourself, granted you should only attempt if there is no warranty or applecare involved. you can find video instructions at sites like powerbookmedic.com as well as the parts needed.