PDA

View Full Version : Battery "fix" at Genius Bar tonight!

ProPedderKustom
Feb 7, 2008, 02:01 AM
So I have had my MBA for 3 days now and followed battery protocol to the T, from initial charging to the complete battery calibration. However, my battery was showing a fast drop in the initial 30 minutes or so of use [well it wasn't getting the life I thought it should anyway]. I went to the Genius Bar tonight and the Genius said some type of internal power regulator had to be reset. He shut down my MBA and held down Control + Options + Power button + Shift [it spells COPS] for 20 seconds. This supposedly resets this power regulator thingy and when the computer restarted it had to reset its time and date. The Genius said to recharge my computer completely and that I should be good to go...hopefully that proves to be true. He did seem to say that Apple will be addressing our battery concerns in some form though....

ubercool
Feb 7, 2008, 07:40 AM
So I have had my MBA for 3 days now and followed battery protocol to the T, from initial charging to the complete battery calibration. However, my battery was showing a fast drop in the initial 30 minutes or so of use [well it wasn't getting the life I thought it should anyway]. I went to the Genius Bar tonight and the Genius said some type of internal power regulator had to be reset. He shut down my MBA and held down Control + Options + Power button + Shift [it spells COPS] for 20 seconds. This supposedly resets this power regulator thingy and when the computer restarted it had to reset its time and date. The Genius said to recharge my computer completely and that I should be good to go...hopefully that proves to be true. He did seem to say that Apple will be addressing our battery concerns in some form though....

Fab tip, ProPedderKustom! Will try that after I get home from my trip! :)

Consultant
Feb 7, 2008, 11:58 AM
That sounds like "SMU reset" or "PMU reset"

jdcrow711
Feb 7, 2008, 08:35 PM
That is on Apple's Support as resetting the system management controller.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

clayj
Feb 8, 2008, 07:13 AM
This appears to have done the trick on my MBA... I let it fully discharge last night, and this morning when I plugged it back in and turned it on, it showed 9 hours and 20 minutes required to recharge fully. I shut down and ran the COPS procedure, and now it's showing 2 hours and 56 minutes to fully recharge.

Thanks for the excellent tip!

richard371
Feb 8, 2008, 09:24 AM
yup mine said that too last night. * hours later its at 91% i am not a happy camper.

This appears to have done the trick on my MBA... I let it fully discharge last night, and this morning when I plugged it back in and turned it on, it showed 9 hours and 20 minutes required to recharge fully. I shut down and ran the COPS procedure, and now it's showing 2 hours and 56 minutes to fully recharge.

Thanks for the excellent tip!

jameskohn
Feb 8, 2008, 11:05 AM
Mine is down to 50%, and is showing 4:31 until full. I tried the reset mentioned above, both the way it was described in this thread and the way it was described in the Apple Support page. Neither one made any difference that I can tell: did not have to reset time/date, and time to fully charge is the same.

How long should it take to charge a battery from 50% to 100% by the way? And is the problem that it incorrectly indicates that it's going to take so long, or that it really does take so long?

applestew
Feb 8, 2008, 06:00 PM
I held down C-O-P-S with the C-O-S being the left sided keys. Held for 20 secs. Then waited and started the MBA. My Mac's time/clock still remained correct. Was I successful in reseting the SMC?

fdot
Feb 8, 2008, 06:14 PM
worked for me.. it had a 6 hour wait till full.. did cops , now its 2 hours

Hankster
Feb 8, 2008, 06:21 PM
Nice tip!

Khurram
Feb 8, 2008, 06:54 PM
Not working for me..I did COPS and my charge time still shows 7:15 minutes till full...any helP?

Khurram
Feb 8, 2008, 06:58 PM
Not working for me..I did COPS and my charge time still shows 7:15 minutes till full...any helP?

ten minutes later it's showing 1:56 to full charge!!
whooohooo!

Khurram
Feb 8, 2008, 07:16 PM
Great, now it's showing 5:45 till charge again! WTF is going on?!

fdot
Feb 8, 2008, 08:14 PM
yes mine is doing some strange **** 2... still about 1hour 45 minutes left

steve31
Feb 8, 2008, 09:02 PM
mine is the same way:( I have charged it once but it says that I am already 6 cycles in to it and my battery health is 94%. I have tried the COPS thing and it does not seem to help.:mad: My 8 month old MBP has 95% health left. Going to call apple first thing in the am.10hrs for a recharge really cripples this notebook:mad:

BWhaler
Feb 9, 2008, 12:41 AM
My battery is a mess too.

Apple's quality just gets worse and worse. $3200 spent, and it's going in for repairs in under a week.

applestew
Feb 9, 2008, 12:48 AM
I held down C-O-P-S with the C-O-S being the left sided keys. Held for 20 secs. Then waited and started the MBA. My Mac's time/clock still remained correct. Was I successful in reseting the SMC?

Hi Guys,

Ehhhh after u do the COPS procedure, does ur MacBook Air's clock get reset? Mine doesn't so I haven't done it right?

Jimmie Geddes
Feb 9, 2008, 01:05 AM
Mine is down to 50%, and is showing 4:31 until full. I tried the reset mentioned above, both the way it was described in this thread and the way it was described in the Apple Support page. Neither one made any difference that I can tell: did not have to reset time/date, and time to fully charge is the same.

How long should it take to charge a battery from 50% to 100% by the way? And is the problem that it incorrectly indicates that it's going to take so long, or that it really does take so long?

I ran my battery down to 50% was using "better performance" to do it, so it would happen faster. When I got to 50% I plugged in my charger and it says 1:26 until full.

I've had my MacBook Air since Friday Feb 2nd, and did not do the C-O-P-S procedure.

hoyaspook
Feb 9, 2008, 09:48 AM
I tried the SMC reset as described in the Apple KB article. When I turned the computer on, the time/date were still intact. I plugged the MBA in, and my charge required 10:00 hours. After a bit, it went down to 7:55.

I took the charger out, since I had like 10% battery life left, and ran it down for a bit. I plugged it back in, and my charge time had been reduced to 2:50 minutes. It quickly crept down to 2:30, and it's been going down regularly ever since.

Hope this stays. According to iStat, I'm on my 4th battery cycle in 2 days.

Do you guys think it's a hardware issue, or is it a software thing?

shadowmatt
Feb 9, 2008, 10:21 AM
This really sucks, had it since wednesday and still taking 8 hours to charge. Done the smc reset, some times when at 10% it says 2.50 to charge, but coming back a little later and it says 7.49 or around.

Think Apple have dropped the ball on this one, not like they can send out new batteries.

petestein1
Feb 9, 2008, 10:29 AM
According to iStat, I'm on my 4th battery cycle in 2 days.

4th cycle? That's nothing. I'm on my 13th cycle in 4.5 days. Heck, last night as I sat and worked for 2 hours it jumped from 10 to 12 cycles.

How the heck can you go through 2 cycles while sitting there using the battery for a few hours??

Something is definitely wrong.

Khurram
Feb 9, 2008, 11:15 AM
Mine is showing 8 cycles after only 5 days and I know I haven't cycled that much..my battery health is also showing 93%...I'm sure apple will rectify this either through a software update or new battery replacement...this is what you get unfortunately when being an early adopter..
I guess all we can do is hold tight for now.

Has anyone else called up apple?

NC MacGuy
Feb 9, 2008, 11:39 AM
I've had mine for more than a week now and I did a COPS, calibration, etc. last Saturday. My charge time is pretty normal in 4 hour range from zero. But my battery health varies from 93% - 97% and really is erratic. Unfortunately it's mostly 93-95% and hovers at 4800mAh. Not the happiest since my year old MB dropped to 83%. Not that the Air's battery is bad now but where will it be in a year? Best case scenario, hopefully 5.2 will remedy this. Worst case scenario, I'll use the holy crap out of it and get the battery replaced under warranty on day 364 if they don't offer a replacement program before.

hoyaspook
Feb 9, 2008, 12:15 PM
Mine is showing 8 cycles after only 5 days and I know I haven't cycled that much..my battery health is also showing 93%...I'm sure apple will rectify this either through a software update or new battery replacement...this is what you get unfortunately when being an early adopter..
I guess all we can do is hold tight for now.

Has anyone else called up apple?

I called Apple. The operator didn't seem to know much about it. I told him that I had charged my battery, and that it had taken upwards of 4 hours. He put me on hold to check whether or not that was up to hardware spec. When I said my powerbook charged quicker, he said that the Macbook Air batteries took longer.

As a solution to the battery issue, he told me to calibrate the battery. I didn't press the issue too much, since I have other things to do, and he seemed to be kind of clueless. I may call later and be more of an ass.

Anyone else have any luck?

teerexx52
Feb 9, 2008, 12:36 PM
I called Apple. The operator didn't seem to know much about it. I told him that I had charged my battery, and that it had taken upwards of 4 hours. He put me on hold to check whether or not that was up to hardware spec. When I said my powerbook charged quicker, he said that the Macbook Air batteries took longer.

As a solution to the battery issue, he told me to calibrate the battery. I didn't press the issue too much, since I have other things to do, and he seemed to be kind of clueless. I may call later and be more of an ass.

Anyone else have any luck?

Calling right now

teerexx52
Feb 9, 2008, 01:09 PM
Calling right now

The tech says they are aware of it. For now they want me to calibrate the battery again.

NC MacGuy
Feb 9, 2008, 01:26 PM
The tech says they are aware of it. For now they want me to calibrate the battery again.

See, they are aware of it. I think we should all hold tight and see what 10.5.2 brings. This issue seems to be so rampant that it won't be ignored in a high profile new product such as the Air. Stevey wants that stock back up to $200.

teerexx52
Feb 9, 2008, 01:29 PM
See, they are aware of it. I think we should all hold tight and see what 10.5.2 brings. This issue seems to be so rampant that it won't be ignored in a high profile new product such as the Air. Stevey wants that stock back up to $200.

I agree. The only thing I heard from him different is he said let it run down and go to sleep and then recharge it. He didn't say let it rest. Seems to me I read that somewhere before. People are doing it both ways?

rjflyn
Feb 9, 2008, 01:33 PM
Return them, I want to be able to get a refurb around mid May. Course I am still waiting for refurb an Ipod Touch so who knows how long it will be.

Rj

NC MacGuy
Feb 9, 2008, 01:38 PM
I agree. The only thing I heard from him different is he said let it run down and go to sleep and then recharge it. He didn't say let it rest. Seems to me I read that somewhere before. People are doing it both ways?

Tried both. Same result. It seems when the PMU or whatever it's called these days is reset the first charge will take very long but subsequently charging takes much less time. I still can't get my battery to ever register over 97% health at 100% charge and it was a one time occurrence w. either cal. method of just sleep or deep sleep.

NC MacGuy
Feb 9, 2008, 01:39 PM
Return them, I want to be able to get a refurb around mid May. Course I am still waiting for refurb an Ipod Touch so who knows how long it will be.

Rj

Very sneaky... See Richard371

teerexx52
Feb 9, 2008, 02:00 PM
Tried both. Same result. It seems when the PMU or whatever it's called these days is reset the first charge will take very long but subsequently charging takes much less time. I still can't get my battery to ever register over 97% health at 100% charge and it was a one time occurrence w. either cal. method of just sleep or deep sleep.

When its charging after you take it down to 0% can you use it?

NC MacGuy
Feb 9, 2008, 02:08 PM
When its charging after you take it down to 0% can you use it?

Yes, but don't unplug charger until it's done charging it to 100%. Don't freak out if it takes a long time to charge. I think that's part of the calibration process and it will take 6-8+ hours round one. I've tried using while charging as well as running down and letting it charge o'nite off or sleeping - no difference.

teerexx52
Feb 9, 2008, 02:16 PM
Yes, but don't unplug charger until it's done charging it to 100%. Don't freak out if it takes a long time to charge. I think that's part of the calibration process and it will take 6-8+ hours round one. I've tried using while charging as well as running down and letting it charge o'nite off or sleeping - no difference.

I was going to sell my MacBook Pro and just use this but wondering if this battery is an issue to be concerned about? Hate to sell m pro and end up returning this or sending it in????

NC MacGuy
Feb 9, 2008, 02:27 PM
I was going to sell my MacBook Pro and just use this but wondering if this battery is an issue to be concerned about? Hate to sell m pro and end up returning this or sending it in????

I hear you. I don't really think at this point it's an issue. If they can't be fixed via software use it up and take it in for repair at 11 months. They'll most likely pop a new battery in that'll have bugs worked out by then if it's a battery hardware issue. I'm holding on to mine. No fans, no rocking on feet, no dead pixels - I'll gamble on the battery fix since it really seems to be my only issue.

teerexx52
Feb 9, 2008, 02:39 PM
I hear you. I don't really think at this point it's an issue. If they can't be fixed via software use it up and take it in for repair at 11 months. They'll most likely pop a new battery in that'll have bugs worked out by then if it's a battery hardware issue. I'm holding on to mine. No fans, no rocking on feet, no dead pixels - I'll gamble on the battery fix since it really seems to be my only issue.

Boy do I agree with the hold on to it when you get a good one. No dead pixels and all that. Been down that road all too many times before.

teerexx52
Feb 9, 2008, 02:39 PM

Boy do I agree with the hold on to it when you get a good one. No dead pixels and all that. Been down that road all too many times before.

teerexx52
Feb 9, 2008, 02:42 PM

Sorry about double post. I have been plying a dvd and watching the battery time left. It stayed at 1:11 for about 2-3 minutes and then actually increased to 1:13 and now fter about 5 mins is still on 1:11. Go figure

hoyaspook
Feb 9, 2008, 03:12 PM
I agree. My MBA is fantastic. I've also been getting a consistent 3:30-4 hours of battery life with real world usage (iTunes, web browsing, Word, emailing, iChat).

teerexx52
Feb 10, 2008, 08:19 AM
I did a calibration on my MacBook Air for the battery. It took over 8 hours to recharge. Went up to 99.3% with battery health good and 6 cycles. Battery life seems to be between 3.5 and 4.0 hours doing internet, email, and such. Not sure what the problem is or if there is one. Just takes one hack of a long time to charge. Did anyone's improve over time?

MayaTlab
Feb 10, 2008, 08:50 AM
Did anyone's improve over time?

As far as I am concerned, I did three calibrations (two resting more than five hours, one pluging the magsafe back right after it entered sleep mode), and here are my unfortunate results :

before : 5005 mAh
1st : 4949 mAh
2nd : 4771 mAh
3rd : 4771 mAh

I'll try to make a fourth one letting it resting during a lot more than five hours and if there's no improvement I'll go to the Apple Store.

hoyaspook
Feb 10, 2008, 09:17 AM
I recalibrated the battery last night, per Apple's instructions. I woke it up from a deep sleep, and shut it down.

The SMC reset worked this time, because when it woke up, the clock settings were gone, and a dialog box told me so. Furthermore, the airport wouldn't accept my default network. I had to set that up again as well.

The battery timer now says that a full charge will take 2h50min. iStat says the full charge will take 3h45min. I have gone through six cycles at this point.

I think the trick to the SMC reset is to make sure you only press the buttons for five-six seconds. The first time I tried it, I kept them pressed for 20 seconds, and the clock didn't reset.

Good luck to you all!

elmo151
Feb 10, 2008, 09:38 AM
great tip. many thanks

ctt1wbw
Feb 10, 2008, 10:00 AM
My battery is a mess too.

Apple's quality just gets worse and worse. $3200 spent, and it's going in for repairs in under a week.

I didn't know Apple made batteries.

Yossarian
Feb 10, 2008, 01:11 PM
I didn't know Apple made batteries.

Appe are responsible for the components which make up the shipping product, including the quality and reliability of them. Hardly any of the chips in the Air are Apple intellectual property (graphics, sound, network, processor, memory...) but Apple are funamentally responsible for delivering the product which leverages these devices.

teerexx52
Feb 10, 2008, 02:19 PM
I recalibrated the battery last night, per Apple's instructions. I woke it up from a deep sleep, and shut it down.

The SMC reset worked this time, because when it woke up, the clock settings were gone, and a dialog box told me so. Furthermore, the airport wouldn't accept my default network. I had to set that up again as well.

The battery timer now says that a full charge will take 2h50min. iStat says the full charge will take 3h45min. I have gone through six cycles at this point.

I think the trick to the SMC reset is to make sure you only press the buttons for five-six seconds. The first time I tried it, I kept them pressed for 20 seconds, and the clock didn't reset.

Good luck to you all!
Can anyone tell me how to do the SMC reset or provide a link? Thank you

duffyanneal
Feb 10, 2008, 02:25 PM
Can anyone tell me how to do the SMC reset or provide a link? Thank you

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

ahaxton
Feb 10, 2008, 04:00 PM
Best method I've used:

Shut down MBA, unplug power adapter, then hold left shift control and option button then press power button once. Wait 10 seconds or so, turn MBA back on while leaving power adapter still unplugged.

Can also try plugging it back in once your in leopard to see if you are getting an accurate estimate for charging time. You should once everything is stabilized.

Khurram
Feb 10, 2008, 08:00 PM
Did another smu reset.
The time/date did not change again so I don't know if it worked.
however I plugged it in to charge and it showed 2:45 to full charge from zero so I was happy.
I kept checking on it..when it got down to 1:20 left to charge it jumped back up to 2:45 to charge!
So still not solved yet..
hopefully 10.5.2 will fix this over hopefully they will put out a fix even sooner

teerexx52
Feb 11, 2008, 06:21 AM
Did another smu reset.
The time/date did not change again so I don't know if it worked.
however I plugged it in to charge and it showed 2:45 to full charge from zero so I was happy.
I kept checking on it..when it got down to 1:20 left to charge it jumped back up to 2:45 to charge!
So still not solved yet..
hopefully 10.5.2 will fix this over hopefully they will put out a fix even sooner

After doing all the fixes mine still takes forever to charge. Should I take it to Genius Bar or just wait for an Apple Fix?

MacRumorUser
Feb 11, 2008, 07:07 AM
The amount of people experiencing these long charge times seems to cry 'software bug' to me. Either that or it cost apple a fortune in replacement units.

I'm going to wait till 10.5.2 before I make a decision whether to return my MBA for a replacement.

I've done the SMU reset and still it takes 6-8 hours to charge.

What's irksome, is that apple simply doesn't come out and give us an estimation of how long it should take the MBA to charge from empty.

It could in the end be a simple case that the MBA battery really does take this long to charge fully :o

MazingerZ
Feb 11, 2008, 07:09 AM
The amount of people experiencing these long charge times seems to cry 'software bug' to me. Either that or it cost apple a fortune in replacement units.

I'm going to wait till 10.5.2 before I make a decision whether to return my MBA for a replacement.

What's irksome, is that apple simply doesn't come out and give us an estimation of how long it should take the MBA to charge from empty.

It could in the end be a simple case that the MBA battery really does take this long to charge fully :o

These problems are weird...my MBA charges to full in 3 to 3.5 hours. And I have not done anything such as the SMU reset. For the first few days though, I made sure I drain the battery all the way down and then recharge while using the MBA.

teerexx52
Feb 11, 2008, 07:11 AM

I agree. With the smaller power adapter we really don't know what is normal charge time. It is strange though than some people are not experiencing this and some are.

sirozha
Feb 21, 2008, 06:37 AM
Guys,

How do you "calibrate" your battery? I can't find any reference to this.

Also, where do you see your battery health and the number of charge cycles it has gone through?

Thanks

MacRumorUser
Feb 21, 2008, 06:44 AM
Guys,

How do you "calibrate" your battery? I can't find any reference to this.

Also, where do you see your battery health and the number of charge cycles it has gone through?

Thanks

From Apples support site http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

:

1)Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.
2)Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.
3)Disconnect the power adapter with the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.
4)Continue to keep your computer on until it goes to sleep. Save all your work and close all applications when the battery gets very low, before the computer goes to sleep.
5)Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.
6)Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

PDE
Feb 21, 2008, 06:54 AM
Just wanted to add that I've had three MBAs (two went back because of defects) and they all charged in about 3 hours. This latest one first showed 9 hours to full charge right after I had let it deplete to sleep and rest for 5 hours. However, within a few minutes it jumped from 9 hours to just under 3 hours and since then it shows approx 3 hours to charge after I've run the battery down completely. Haven't done any reset or anything.

Just to add to the pool of information/experiences.

sirozha
Feb 21, 2008, 09:36 AM
From Apples support site http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

Thanks. So, how do I see the battery health andi the number of charge cycles it has undergone?

Thanks

prominence
Feb 21, 2008, 09:44 AM
Just wanted to add that I've had three MBAs (two went back because of defects) and they all charged in about 3 hours. This latest one first showed 9 hours to full charge right after I had let it deplete to sleep and rest for 5 hours. However, within a few minutes it jumped from 9 hours to just under 3 hours and since then it shows approx 3 hours to charge after I've run the battery down completely. Haven't done any reset or anything.

Just to add to the pool of information/experiences.

What were the defects?

dahcheet
Feb 21, 2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks. So, how do I see the battery health andi the number of charge cycles it has undergone?

Thanks

I use iState Pro (http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/istatpro.html) which puts a nice widget on Dashboard for you. Gives you a bunch of other information as well including CPU usage/temp, fanspeed, RAM, network, etc.

PDE
Feb 21, 2008, 11:06 AM
What were the defects?

The first one had a white/bright streak going diagonally across the screen. The second one had a lesser degree of the same thing plus the display frame around the LCD was warping and detaching in the bottom right. Everything else was perfect on those machines.

queshy
Feb 27, 2008, 10:48 AM
I've tried all the techniques in the book to do an SMC reset and my date/time never resets! Advice,anyone? BTW my mba is now taking 9 hrs to charge.

designed
Mar 1, 2008, 11:17 AM
Oh great. Got two MBAs. Other seems to run hotter than the other, other had the "8 hours to recharge". Zapped the SMC on the battery issue MBA -> no effect. Zapped the SMC on the fan-fan (it loves its fan) MBA -> now it's taking the 8 hours to recharge too.

How brilliant is that :rolleyes:

NC MacGuy
Mar 1, 2008, 11:35 AM
Oh great. Got two MBAs. Other seems to run hotter than the other, other had the "8 hours to recharge". Zapped the SMC on the battery issue MBA -> no effect. Zapped the SMC on the fan-fan (it loves its fan) MBA -> now it's taking the 8 hours to recharge too.

I'm not sure about yours but mine took a few cycles to figure out its charging time. After about a week of inconsistency it has settled to about 3:45 to 4:15 for a full charge. I'm on cycle 38. Very different than my MB/MBP's. I just decided to use it and see what happened.

jameskohn
Mar 1, 2008, 01:43 PM

Just use it... I'm not sure about the fan issues, but all of the battery issues seem to sort themselves out over time; about 2 hours to get to 80%, and almost the same to get from 80% the rest of the way to 100%. Under 4 hours total.

BWhaler
Mar 1, 2008, 03:18 PM
I am on my 5th or so battery cycle, and things seems pretty normal now with the battery.

I get about 4 -5 hours of battery life, and charges take about 5 hours.

I originally had the 10 hour charge cycles, the wide swings in battery life, etc. COPS, et al., did nothing to solve nothing to solve the problem.

But then for some reason, my battery became "normal." I hope it stays this way.