PDA

View Full Version : Why Apple should reconsider the PDA

MacBytes
Oct 23, 2003, 09:22 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Why Apple should reconsider the PDA (http://www.macnet2.com/more.php?id=417_0_1_0)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

morlium
Oct 23, 2003, 09:33 AM
more than one PDA are PDAs ... not PDA's.

(just a peeve ...)

lmalave
Oct 23, 2003, 10:40 AM
The PDA is so dead in the water. The author of the articles reasons that "Smartphones" are too large and feature-bloated and don't function well for their main purpose: to make and receive phone calls.

But I think the author misses the point. Most people *don't need* full PDA functionality. All they need is an Address Book and a Calendar that syncs conveniently with their computer. My SonyEricsson T610 is tiny, gets great reception (granted this is Manhattan I'm talking about), and syncs wirelessly with iCal and Address Book. As an added bonus, I can even install 3rd-party Java apps. For example, I installed a Java version of Tetris on my phone.

So why the heck would I want a PDA? The T610 fulfills all of my needs in a tiny, sleek package.

beerguy
Oct 23, 2003, 04:52 PM
You can't run full blown database apps on a phone (yet). Until then you'll have to pry my Treo out of my cold dead fingers.

iHack
Oct 23, 2003, 06:09 PM
Picture this:

Guy walks down street.
Phone rings, it's a collegue wanting to meet.
Guy takes phone from ear, look up some pottential date.
Talks on phone again, potential date no good.
Take phone from ear again, starts looking for other date.
Wants to check times when browsing and starts to shout at the phone.
Is getting slightly irritated.
Has to hold phone really close to face to hear the answer and still check the calendar.
Can't hear because truck passes.
Gets very annoyed....
Tosses phone in a pond.
Sigh of relief as the blasted thing sinks to its demise.

Man, it's soo much easier to have a separate phone and PDA. And I guess I don't have to tell why a PDA is way better than paper calendar (altho' my filofax was in beautifully finished leather...).

M.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 23, 2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by morlium
more than one PDA are PDAs ... not PDA's.

(just a peeve ...)

Actually, the plural of an acronym uses an apostrophe.

Some people already claim that the iPod is a PDA, and if you are judging PDA’s by the typical PDA of 1995 then they might be right. But today’s PDA offers WiFi, Bluetooth, web browsing, email, instant messaging, plus all the ancient functions of the first PDA’s. The iPod is nowhere close to a modern PDA.

The typical PDA of 1995 was the Apple Newton, which had more features integrated and presented better than any other PDA that has *ever* existed. Frankly, if you don't know the Newton, you know nothing about either Apple or the PDA market. That makes the author of this article an official double idiot.

Chad
Oct 23, 2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by iHack
Picture this:

Guy walks down street.
Phone rings, it's a collegue wanting to meet.
Guy takes phone from ear, look up some pottential date.
Talks on phone again, potential date no good.
Take phone from ear again, starts looking for other date.
Wants to check times when browsing and starts to shout at the phone.
Is getting slightly irritated.
Has to hold phone really close to face to hear the answer and still check the calendar.
Can't hear because truck passes.
Gets very annoyed....
Tosses phone in a pond.
Sigh of relief as the blasted thing sinks to its demise.

Man, it's soo much easier to have a separate phone and PDA. And I guess I don't have to tell why a PDA is way better than paper calendar (altho' my filofax was in beautifully finished leather...).

M.

or smart guy walks down street with a earphone in his ear so he can look at his phone and talk ;)
also makes it nice to put phone in pocket and be able to talk and write down things on a piece of paper ;)
I love gadgets and pdas but really they are a bit to slow to enter text into
the best PDA I had was my old Newton
I worked for HP for a few years as a trainer and they gave us handhelds all the time
but I was the one with the Newton ;)
hehhehe used to get flack about it till I would show them how the outline works and how the text works etc..

I want a modern Newton
with a nice large screen
form factor of the old one was OK for me and if they could fill that with a modern high res TFT that would be so so sweet