PDA

View Full Version : The Day I Un-Jailbroke My iPhone and Fell In Love With It Al...

MacBytes
Feb 7, 2008, 10:58 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: The Day I Un-Jailbroke My iPhone and Fell In Love With It All Over Again (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080207115832)
Description:: Sometimes going legit is the best way to go.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

ppc_michael
Feb 7, 2008, 11:09 AM
That's an interesting way to look at it.

I intentionally un-jailbroke my iPod Touch by upgrading to 1.1.3. I purchased the additional applications and am happy. The only reason I jailbroke in the first place was for Mail, and I'm happy to have it legitimately now.

A lot of the third party applications were poorly made, anyway.

Feb 7, 2008, 11:18 AM
That's an interesting way to look at it.

I intentionally un-jailbroke my iPod Touch by upgrading to 1.1.3. I purchased the additional applications and am happy. The only reason I jailbroke in the first place was for Mail, and I'm happy to have it legitimately now.

A lot of the third party applications were poorly made, anyway.
One thing though. Remember that while they are poorly made, it's because most homebrew applications are made by only one or two people, while Apple has a full development team.

Just because they aren't as good doesn't always mean that they are poorly made.

I don't own an iPhone though.

thewizardguy
Feb 7, 2008, 11:44 AM
What would you call a poorly made app, then? Not good seems to be a fair assessment. Apple makes GOOD apps, and they DO sacrifice extensive functionality for complete functionability. IOW, they make a program do less sometimes for the sake of it doing everything it DOES do perfectly.

Also, they limit the iPhone so they can release certain aspects that people will want enough to un-jailbreak. Perfectly fair, especially considering their liberal views on software piracy...

shadowfax
Feb 7, 2008, 12:09 PM
What would you call a poorly made app, then? Not good seems to be a fair assessment. Apple makes GOOD apps, and they DO sacrifice extensive functionality for complete functionability. IOW, they make a program do less sometimes for the sake of it doing everything it DOES do perfectly.

I dunno. I hesitate to call all of Apple's iPhone Apps "GOOD." Safari is a knock out of the ballpark, except that it doesn't do everything it DOES do perfectly--I have had some seriously peculiar crashes out of it, and it has really seemed to be unstable for me since 1.1.3.

But my real beef is with Mail. That application is seriously terrible. It doesn't support IMAP-IDLE--at least, not consistently--and it doesn't even seem to consistently check my email every 15 minutes (which is what I have it set to). It's also just missing some features, like landscape typing and the ability to delete more than one message at a time.

I would also say that it's amazing the quality of some of the 3rd party apps out there, like Apollo IM, that are highly stable, well-designed, and feature-rich in spite of being developed by small groups for an API that is totally undocumented (for them). That is why I would not call them "poorly made."

thewizardguy
Feb 7, 2008, 12:37 PM
Come now, Mr. Fax, I didn't intend to say they were all perfect =)

Apple, on average, makes good, and better-than-the-corporate-competition in most cases software. The iPhone can only be compared to other programs for mobiles OR for other 3rd party apps for the iPhone. Has anyone made a 3rd party iPhone mail program?

Don't get me wrong -- sometimes I prefer working in linux or even *gasp* in XP. Not -just- because of familiarity, either. Apple isn't perfect, and it doesn't make perfect apps, or the BEST all the time. Generally, it makes good software.

My point was that, if you're saying its NOT POOR but its NOT GOOD then what is it? Average software? IMO there is no such thing -- it either does what it does well or not well. There is always another program to compare it to -- and if there isn't, you can't say it's bad/poor! =)

mainstreetmark
Feb 7, 2008, 02:17 PM
One thing though. Remember that while they are poorly made, it's because most homebrew applications are made by only one or two people, while Apple has a full development team.

I don't think that's a fair statement. Firstly, teams do not always equal better, and Secondly, solo developers do not always equal worse.

To argue via example,
Team: Windows, Duke Nukem Forever
Solo: Quicksilver, Delicious Monster (i think)

The quality of applications will increase naturally through competition. Crappy ones will be replaced by less crappy ones, just as has happened in iPhone's big brother: OSX. Wheres Proteus and Fire these days? Adium's beat 'em.

shadowfax
Feb 7, 2008, 04:08 PM
Come now, Mr. Fax, I didn't intend to say they were all perfect =)

My point was that, if you're saying its NOT POOR but its NOT GOOD then what is it? Average software? IMO there is no such thing -- it either does what it does well or not well. There is always another program to compare it to -- and if there isn't, you can't say it's bad/poor! =)

No, I understand. My point is that I think that the Mail app is borderline bad, certainly not "good," other than in the sense that it doesn't crash (whereas safari, while it is an amazing, revolutionary design, seems to crash pretty often for a number of people--depend on the sites you visit, maybe).

And I think that, actually, there are a number of third party apps that are about as rock solid as Apple's (which is to say, mostly stable). Apollo IM was one, I remember. Several of the games were extremely stable--I never once had any problems with iBlackJack, Mines, or Lights Out (or was it "Off?"). iSolitaire had some problems with the cards getting stuck in the wrong place sometimes, but it was really improving a lot before I un-jailbroke my hone. I wouldn't call those apps "poor" or "not good." They were "good" in the sense of well-designed and stable. There were just also a lot of poor apps in the mix.

I think that there are a lot of different categories of "working well." For example, Photoshop CS3 has some issues in Leopard where you can use a slider to adjust things, but you can't enter values into the text field--it fails to apply them intermittently. CS3 still works--or more correctly OS X still works, because that's where the problem is (10.5.2 is anticipated to fix this problem, according to adobe), but this portion of it is broken. You can still use the software and get what you want done, and if you don't ever use the text entry, the application actually still works "well."

Likewise, someone who doesn't delete a lot of mail, or need a client-side junk filter, or care about getting their e-mail quickly, will find that Mail works fairly well, even though there is no multiple message selection, no junk filter, and IMAP-IDLE is either broken or missing. So, in that case, "poor" is really a matter of perspective--not so much compared to what else there is, as to what you need. Of course, there is also "straight broken," where the application is categorically bad because it doesn't work....

Team: Windows, Duke Nukem Forever
Solo: Quicksilver, Delicious Monster (i think)

Nothing to add, other than HOLY CRAP QUICKSILVER IS THE COOLEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD. It kicks Spotlight's butt up and down the street and back again. OMG it rocks!

sak77
Feb 7, 2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah...Quicksilver is really slick. I dont understand how its faster than spotlight. Sorry...didn't mean to hijack..

jericho53
Feb 7, 2008, 09:12 PM

Just because they aren't as good doesn't always mean that they are poorly made.

I don't own an iPhone though.

Uhh...yes it does.

mainstreetmark
Feb 8, 2008, 08:30 AM
Yeah...Quicksilver is really slick. I dont understand how its faster than spotlight. Sorry...didn't mean to hijack..

Spotlight is a content indexer, quicksilver is a title indexer.