PDA

View Full Version : Most recent OS I can put on a Wallstreet and an iBook 500 MHz (dual USB)?

ravenvii
Feb 7, 2008, 12:38 PM
What is the most recent OS I can put on those machines? Panther? Or Tiger?

SthrnCmfrtr
Feb 7, 2008, 02:34 PM
The Wallstreet will run up to Jaguar or Panther/Tiger with XPostFacto. I'm not sure I'd recommend it, though. I've never had a Wallstreet, so I can't give any real advice. Depending on whether your Wallstreet has the 2MB VRAM or 4MB VRAM, I can say that it'd probably be a pretty lousy experience. Rough scrolling, jittery window movements, etc.

The G3 iBook will run Tiger decently but it'll run Panther better. The main limitation isn't the CPU speed so much as it is the VRAM. The 8MB causes it to be pretty shuddery IMHO. The G3/600MHz iBooks with CD-ROMs (not Combo or Super) are where they switched to 16MB, and while they won't run Leopard they'll run Tiger without the shudder.

ravenvii
Feb 7, 2008, 02:51 PM
I don't want to use XPostFacto or anything, I want to use the latest OS officially supported by Apple for that machine.

SthrnCmfrtr
Feb 7, 2008, 03:06 PM
That would be Jaguar (Jaguar? 10.2, anyway).

mroseneo
Feb 7, 2008, 03:19 PM
I have an iBook G3. It will run Tiger, but I think that Panther is a bit faster. However, they are both really slow. If you are just going to use it as a word processor, no problem.

Beware of any sites with Flash Animation!! They will max out that poor old G3 processor and the VRAM. I think that the iBook is pretty unusable by todays standards. I loaded Gizmo project on there and used the computer as a phone as well. Thats about all it is good for now. Anyways, I still have my G3 and just loaded os 9 on there again for nostalgias sake.