PDA

View Full Version : Print to Windows printer in Panther?

barrettd
Oct 23, 2003, 11:17 AM
Just curious to see if anyone has tried this yet...I've got a Powerbook, and an HP Laserjet 6L connected to my WinXP machine, and haven't gotten any of the various hacks, tweaks, etc. to allow me to print from my PB to my PC printer with any real success. Seeing the "Print to Windows printers" kind of got me excited, and I'm wondering if anyone who's gotten an early copy has tried it yet...

BD

zyuzin4
Oct 23, 2003, 03:35 PM
I have tried it and have'nt been able to get it to work on two different networks. It can find the printers on various workgroups and then when I go to print, I get an error, something like NT_SHARE_ACCESS I don't remember exactly. Then is says cannot contact SAMBA host will retry in 60 seconds.

Did the same thing on both networks (home, dsl router)

Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong because I have heard of people getting this to work right off the start.

LuckyJack
Oct 24, 2003, 12:34 AM
Worked for me. I needed to print to an HP1700 on a Windows network at work (never tried it under jag). I went thru the motions to add the printer, selected "Windows Printer" at the option, navigated to it, entered my NT user/pass, and voila. HP doesn't have any drivers for the printer, but I guessed on one using CUPS and all my prints (Excel and Word files) have been just groovy. I'm pleased as punch.

And Windows networking where I can simply select "Network Neighborhood" and get what I need, no muss, no fuss. That rocks. Windows networking, for me, is freaking awesome in Panther.

zyuzin4
Oct 24, 2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by LuckyJack
selected "Windows Printer" at the option, navigated to it, entered my NT user/pass, and voila.

And Windows networking where I can simply select "Network Neighborhood" and get what I need, no muss, no fuss. That rocks. Windows networking, for me, is freaking awesome in Panther.

really...it didnt even ask for my user/pass. Otherwise file networking is great. All the computers show up and can easily be accessed. Another cool thing is having my ibook accessible through windows boxes as well. =)

Wonder whats up with my printing though

sparkleytone
Oct 24, 2003, 10:23 AM
i got it to work just fine, altho it did give me the beachball while searching the first time.

zyuzin4
Oct 24, 2003, 10:16 PM
i found out what error it gives me:

Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
then a minute later says:
Unable to connect to SAMBA host will retry in 60 sconds ...ERROR.

any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks

LuckyJack
Oct 24, 2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by zyuzin4
i found out what error it gives me:

Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
then a minute later says:
Unable to connect to SAMBA host will retry in 60 sconds ...ERROR.

any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks I was getting the error because I had cancelled the l/p when it first gave me the option. Try deleting the printer and re-adding, and entering your l/p then. That's what worked for me, when I got that message. Otherwise, it sounds like you'll have to discover why windows is denying you.

Short story: windows is denying you, not Panther.

zyuzin4
Oct 24, 2003, 11:39 PM
hmm i never remember it giving me the l/p dialog ever and when I delete the printer, and re-add it it just goes into my list. For someone with a working windows printer, under Show Info and Location does it just say the workgroup name ex: MSHOME or does it give a path to the actual printer share?

LuckyJack
Oct 24, 2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by zyuzin4
hmm i never remember it giving me the l/p dialog ever and when I delete the printer, and re-add it it just goes into my list. For someone with a working windows printer, under Show Info and Location does it just say the workgroup name ex: MSHOME or does it give a path to the actual printer share? Mine just has the workgroup name, nothing more. Hadn't noticed that before (since printing works for me), but that kind of stinks.

physicsnerd
Oct 24, 2003, 11:58 PM
My Epson Stylus Scan 2500 works perfectly printer through my XP box. This is how I did it for those interested:

Applications:Utilities:Printer Setup Utitlity
Clicked on Add
Selected Windows Printing
Selected Workgroup
Selected my winXP box
Selected the shared printer's name
Entered in Username and Password for XP box
Told it to remeber my username and password
Selected Printer Model

Worked perfectly on the 1st try.

However, of note the printer will not print if directly connected to the printer through USB. 10.3 finds it just fine, but when I print to it it says printing and acts normally yet nothing prints. I called Apple and they were just as confused as I was. Nothing they had me try worked so they told me to call back next week and they'd pass me off to someone who was more farmilar with the CUPS drivers that my printer uses. I'm rather amused that I can print through an XP box, but not locally. :-)

Physicsnerd

zyuzin4
Oct 25, 2003, 04:14 PM
Okay thanks to you guys I figured out what I did wrong. Apparently the first time I tried to connect, I just pushed enter at the log/pass screen. I looked in the Keychain Access and under smb there was a password for the Print Setup Utility. I deleted the key and added the printer and gave me the box to type my log/pass in. Even though my machine has no password it needed any user name I guess.

newbieNJ
May 15, 2004, 09:03 AM
Using physicsnerd's excellent directions, I got Word to think it could print to my networked LaserJet, but it printed maybe 20 pages of junk before I stopped it. The pages it printed were mostly blank, but there was also lots of stuff that looks like the code behind Word. Example:

14 dic: begin/FontName /VFULLIB+TimesNewRomanBdMS def

I can print from my Virtual PC on the iMac, but not from the iMac itself.

Any suggestions?

7on
May 15, 2004, 01:26 PM
Using physicsnerd's excellent directions, I got Word to think it could print to my networked LaserJet, but it printed maybe 20 pages of junk before I stopped it. The pages it printed were mostly blank, but there was also lots of stuff that looks like the code behind Word. Example:

Any suggestions?

When my printer prints junk, it's usually because I chose the wrong driver in the driver selection thing.

MisterMe
May 15, 2004, 06:56 PM

Any suggestions?Virtual PC will allow you to print using only one of two drivers. You can use the [PostScript] LaserWriter driver or the default non-PostScript driver. I am away from my machine with VPC at the moment, but it is the EPSON driver, IIRC. You cannot use a device-specific driver that you download from the Internet or install from a manufacturer's CD.

phrancpharmD
May 19, 2004, 12:15 PM
At previous jobs, I've been able to succsessfully print to networked printers via their IP addresses. At my new job, you have to go to Start --> Run and then enter some address looking thing (\\seatpfile001\) which then brings up a window with all the networked printers in the facility from which I can select my printer. I could also just type \\seatpfile001\seatppl-10 at the "Run" prompt. I can log in to some of the network folders from my Mac with Go --> Connect to Server, but can't get into the printer folder. I am also not successful by going through my Panther Printer preference panel. Anybody have any suggestions?

MoparShaha
May 19, 2004, 01:26 PM
Well, to further resurrect this thread, I can never seem to print to Windows printers. In the Printer Setup Utility, all the Windows computers show up under the workgroup, and when I click on them I'm prompted for a password. Now, if I was trying to print from another Windows computer, I wouldn't be prompted for a password. I don't know why I have to supply one on my mac. Anyways, I put the username/password in, and I just get a spinning beach ball. I have to eventually force-quit.