Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ima_pseudonym

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2002
Sorry if this has been discussed recently, but a did search and couldn't find a definitive answer:

Do the new ipod accessories work on the 2nd generation ipods that ship with a dock (e.g. the 15g ipod)?

Thanks

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
They should. They just require a dock connector and the first gen didn't have one, so 2G and 3G should be fine.

I think they just upgraded drives from 2G to 3G.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by Icekey
I thought the dock ports were only for the 3rd Gen iPods?

This brings up a question that's been circling in my mind. Here's how I thought the generations worked:

1st Gen : iPods with touch/scroll wheels with buttons around wheel
2nd Gen : iPods with new touch buttons
3rd Gen : iPods with new touch buttons (20GB, 40GB)

or is it:

1st Gen : iPods with scroll wheel
2nd Gen : iPods with touch wheel and push buttons
3rd Gen : iPods with touch wheel and touch buttons

Does anyone know for sure?

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Originally posted by tomf87
This brings up a question that's been circling in my mind. Here's how I thought the generations worked:

1st Gen : iPods with touch/scroll wheels with buttons around wheel
2nd Gen : iPods with new touch buttons
3rd Gen : iPods with new touch buttons (20GB, 40GB)

or is it:

1st Gen : iPods with scroll wheel
2nd Gen : iPods with touch wheel and push buttons
3rd Gen : iPods with touch wheel and touch buttons

Does anyone know for sure?

It is the latter. If the new accessories require dock connectors, then the 2nd Gen wont work with them. Gen 2 only has firewire connectivity.

--DT

ima_pseudonym

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2002
It is confusing. The 15G ipod has the touch buttons and ships with a "dock connector to firewire cable" and a dock. But all the descriptions of the accessories I have seen say for 3rd gen. ipod. Did the dock connector perhaps change between 2nd and 3rd rev.?

I am hoping for a quick answer since refurbed 15g ipods are on sale at compusa again for 250. Very nice when compared to the 399 for the current 20g, but they will likely sell out quickly.

ckwm

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
UK
Yeah - I find this confusing too.

I thought it was:

1Gen - Scroll Wheel with buttons around it
2Gen - Touch wheel with buttons around it
3Gen - Touch wheel with buttons in a line above

In other words, the generations are to do with changes to the user interface and not the hard drive.

But then again....

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by ima_pseudonym
It is confusing. The 15G ipod has the touch buttons and ships with a "dock connector to firewire cable" and a dock. But all the descriptions of the accessories I have seen say for 3rd gen. ipod. Did the dock connector perhaps change between 2nd and 3rd rev.?

I am hoping for a quick answer since refurbed 15g ipods are on sale at compusa again for 250. Very nice when compared to the 399 for the current 20g, but they will likely sell out quickly.

If all is correct with the gen's discussed above, then all iPod's with a dock connector are 3rd Gen.

ckwm

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
UK
Oh man I feel so guilty. There you are just wanting a plain 'YES' so you can go an get your iPod and I'm wasting your time blabbering on about generations!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.