PDA

View Full Version : Panther Install Issues - Lombard

musox
Oct 23, 2003, 12:35 PM
Well, it is 1:31 (EST) and I have had my Panther Install CDs for 3 hours, and I'm on my third install attempt. I'm having the same issues with my screen as the first 10.2.8 updates. Just wanted to start the thread and see if anyone else is having issues.

- MusOX

nacl99
Oct 23, 2003, 12:44 PM
I'f I remember correctly it is not supposed to work on a Lombard system. am I wrong?

edesignuk
Oct 23, 2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by nacl99
I'f I remember correctly it is not supposed to work on a Lombard system. am I wrong?
hmmmm....http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html, there is an old PB G3 there, but I don't know if it is a Lombard. Someone else might know how to tell though.

VicMacs
Oct 23, 2003, 12:56 PM
does the lombard come with usb? that was the only requirement panther gave... and g3 of course... let me check... yes it does.. should work... are you upgrading? try erasing the disk and then installing from scratch...

musox
Oct 23, 2003, 01:26 PM
Well, the trick was the same with the 10.2.8 update, remove RAM. Yes the Lombard is on the supported list b/c it is the first model with USB. I have been successful with the first disk, I'm currently at 43% with the second disk. I'm also doing a full new install by wiping the HD partition that OS X resides on my machine. I just believe that is a better install process vs. updating.

I'm going to post my experience on my page for other Lombard users that may have this issue.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

- MusOX

TMA
Oct 23, 2003, 01:40 PM
Might help if you were a little more specific with the issues you are having. i.e What is happening? Error Messages? Disk thrashing? etc...

You could try running a few checks on this disk with disk utility or other HD util. Just to check that the disk isn't faulty.

cizzino
Oct 23, 2003, 03:12 PM
Hi there,

I suppose the problem Musox is referring to is the random screen garbage that eventually freezes the computer during intense operation.
Same problem here : the installer for 7B85 crashes my 1999 lombard 512 Mb RAM, 20Gb travelstar pretty consistently two thirds into the first disk. Removing 256 of RAM makes the machine rock stable (and not tooooo slow). And no, it's not bad RAM : it doesn't matter which one of the two 256 modules I leave on.
By the way 512 crashes the system after it has been installed too, so it's not an isolated issue with the installer. I have not tried the 10.2.8 re-release (6R73), I have read somewhere that that fixed the garbling screen and if that is true my feeling is that 10.3.1 will fix it too. I have only one mac and I use it for work so I am back to 10.2.6 for the time being. Please post updates.
thanks,

cizzino.

P.S.: yes the lombard IS supported for Panther (probably for the last time, so enjoy this), because it comes with integrated USB and because it installs it. Non supported machines will not even try to install the OS.

P.P.S.: for the old time lombard owners out there, my computer was one of the cursed lombards rev 2.2 that wouldn't run OS X. So Apple fixed it (for free) and put on a rev. 3 memory controller (if that's what it is). Since then 10.2 ran without a glitch. So this is a DIFFERENT problem.

TMA
Oct 23, 2003, 04:22 PM
cheers for the clarification cizzino.
I don't own a lombard myself, but I am using what is considered an older machine (iMac slot loader 500Mhz) so i'm especially curious to know of any problems/issues on older hardware. With big released like this I like to let others 'test the water' first.

It worries me slightly that Apple might be going for a 'release now, fix later' strategy. A good example of this might be iTunes for Windows; Apple have already released a very important update for it that fixed some pretty serious bugs that in my opinion should never have been there in the first place.

This problem with Panther sounds like it will probably be remedied within a few days or a week after the official launch with a minor update. Although how you are meant to perform an update without being able to install the OS in the first place I do not know! :rolleyes: Seems abit of hastle to remove a memory stick, install Panther, perform update and then re-install memory if you ask me.

Good luck guys, stick in there because Panther is really worth it! :)

cizzino
Oct 26, 2003, 08:12 PM
hey guys, now that night of panther fever is over...
is anybody with a lombard and > 256 Mb RAM running panther ?
Do they have the crash-with-crap-on-the-screen effect ?

jboyzh
Oct 28, 2003, 12:22 AM
Lombard 333 Mhz, 256 Mb works great here, stable, and relatively fast. I've had to reformat my 20GB drive first, installed OS9 on one partition, then Panther on the other with a clean install.

I experienced some strange behaviour before this installation (after an unsuccessful YDL Linux installation...but that's another story :confused: ), which only ended after zapping PRAM.

After all, well worth the upgrade for this machine after the first few days of working on it :)