PDA

View Full Version : Who should Apple buy?

eclipse525
Oct 23, 2003, 01:29 PM
IF Apple were in the market to buy some companies, who would you like to see Apple buying?

I personally would like to see Apple buy Quark.

~e

dstorey
Oct 23, 2003, 01:52 PM
AOL, and make it stand for Apple On-Line. Depends how much it costs of course but this would be good i think. There are probably three key influential companies on pc as far as the users are concerned - m$, Dell, and AOL. With dell being no 1 pc seller and aol numver one internet then anything they package will be used by a lot of users that dont like hunting round and installing software (sort of people that use ie, msn, outlook etc as they are just there already) . If apple got a foothold too and could make money out of it then thats cool. They already have the link with itunes and IM of course. Maybe they could port the AV part of iChat for aol subscribers and sell the iSight to them too. If they could improve the service and maybe offer mac only services then it will make pc users look at a mac more seriously. Maybe they could make a safari compatible browser to replace IE as their default browser and offer .mac style content as part or an extra for pc...of course you would need a mac for the intergration. Spinner radio could asso become aac and be played in itunes...i dunno what they would d with winamp and netscape however. People think AOL is evil, but i'm sure apple could make it better.

c2kvette
Oct 23, 2003, 01:56 PM
I too would like to see Apple buy Quark.

Sun Baked
Oct 23, 2003, 02:06 PM
I would like to see Apple buy Michael Jackson, and part him and his empire out (expect for the Music portfolio).

Could you imagine the screams you'd get in the Haunted House this season if MJ replaces the mummy? :eek:

Plus there are all those Beatles songs that would make the Apple vs. Apple lawsuit a tad more interesting.

---

Other than that, Classy apps and more Patents couldn't hurt.

Moxiemike
Oct 23, 2003, 02:09 PM
Apple should buy Nikon. Those guys could mismarket great products together. Haha

LimeLite
Oct 23, 2003, 02:20 PM
There's also the most obvious company to buy...Apple Corps.! Purchase them up and end the lawsuits for good. :D

Frisco
Oct 23, 2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by eclipse525
IF Apple were in the market to buy some companies, who would you like to see Apple buying?

I personally would like to see Apple buy Quark.

~e

If Apple bought Quark I think it would further strain relationships with Adobe. Apple would then be competing with InDesign.

When Apple released Final Cut Express Adobe dropped Premiere for the Mac.

Do you think Adobe would drop InDesign for Mac if Apple was making Quark? Or even worse photoshop
:eek:

caveman_uk
Oct 23, 2003, 03:14 PM
I think Apple should buy some offshore real estate and open stores there. I'm sure there's some space in Oxford Street or Tottenham Court Road in London they could afford:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mainstreetmark
Oct 23, 2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by dstorey
AOL, and make it stand for Apple On-Line.

If I recall correctly, and I may not, there used to be a service called Applelink that I was a member of. It cost like $5/hour or something. One day, I got a disk in the mail saying that Applelink is now known as America Online.

Macco
Oct 23, 2003, 03:54 PM
I think there's a thread for this in Community Discussion already.

plinkoman
Oct 23, 2003, 03:55 PM
apple corps, then they could use itms as a record label too

adobe, so they could drop photoshop for windows and as a result, greatly expand the amount of people wanting to buy a mac, kinda like what they did with logic, only photoshop would have a huge effect

jonapete2001
Oct 23, 2003, 04:21 PM
apple should buy palm and tivo. They could use these companies to come out with some sweet products. Apple brand tivo.

ScottDodson
Oct 23, 2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Frisco
If Apple bought Quark I think it would further strain relationships with Adobe. Apple would then be competing with InDesign.

When Apple released Final Cut Express Adobe dropped Premiere for the Mac.

Do you think Adobe would drop InDesign for Mac if Apple was making Quark? Or even worse photoshop
:eek:

I say apple should buy Adobe. Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator all proprietory an the mac.....then it would be true that all graphics done in the pro world are done on apple boxes. It would be tough though.....windoze would still have paint, we gotta' watch out for that :rolleyes: .

I know this would never happen, but it's just what I want to see....heck, may as well throw in the purchase of macromedia while I'm at it!!;)

hugemullens
Oct 23, 2003, 05:04 PM
Roxio. Get rid of napster, make a serious push at becoming the only game in town as far as music downloads. Get napster out of the way, musicmatch will bomb, buy.com is already bombing..........works out great.

mainstreetmark
Oct 23, 2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by hugemullens
Roxio. Get rid of napster, make a serious push at becoming the only game in town as far as music downloads. Get napster out of the way, musicmatch will bomb, buy.com is already bombing..........works out great.

Being the "only game in town" is almost universally bad news. You're not driven to improve, you get complacent about your customer base and start to think no one can touch you. You'd become like Microsoft.

AmigoMac
Oct 23, 2003, 05:18 PM
the partnership with adobe is really strong, it's like a feeling they are already only one company.

But personally, if money is not a problem, they should invest in some top companies in different branches, telecomm, TV, Video (Already Pixar? I think so), and a science company would be great, still some engineers need more software. 15-20 investments wouldn't be a problem.

Just a feeling before going to sleep. ;)

eclipse525
Oct 23, 2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by hugemullens

There not going to need to buy Roxio. It's just a matter of time till iTMS will make hard for them to stay in business.

I didn't object to the previous rumors of a partnership of some kind with Sony or Disney. It would give them MAJOR Global leverging.

~e

Marble
Oct 23, 2003, 11:41 PM
I don't like the idea of purchasing companies just to drive them out of the market or silence their development. If Apple buys a company, it should be to add to their already top-notch repertoire of consumer and pro software. For example, Apple's purchase of emagic led to the rapid development and the subsequent addition of multithreading, AudioUnits, and other nifty Apple goodies into an almost immediate upgrade of Logic Audio, which performs exceptionally stable and fast on G4s today.
Acquiring Roxio or Apple Corps especially would be a corrupt "Microsoftian" thing to do. That's cheating; and if judgment is passed on Apple Computer by the courts on the issue, then it is Apple's responsibility to accept that judgment. Nothing justifies circumventing the process of determining the truth in this situation, even if the truth is never found. Same thing goes for Roxio. Buying and clobbering the competition is like kicking your opponent in the balls. It's just not cool.

Counterfit
Oct 23, 2003, 11:53 PM
How about some companies that make kick-ass shareware. Hire the coders (maybe), and turn the shareware into freeware. Sound familiar? I sure think it does :D

Marble
Oct 24, 2003, 12:04 AM
It does sound familiar and like a good idea. Shareware developers are where it's at. New and fresh talent that isn't obscenely expensive to purchase. I don't even know if Apple *could* purchase AOL. Isn't AOL a big enough conglomerate (AOL Time Warner, MTV, etc.) to pretty much resist corporate takeover?

Counterfit
Oct 24, 2003, 12:20 AM
Well, I don't think AOL is too happy with being part of TimeWarner, so maybe the idea of joining up with Apple isn't looking too bad for them. But wtf do I know, I'm an engineering major :P

legion
Oct 24, 2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Marble
It does sound familiar and like a good idea. Shareware developers are where it's at. New and fresh talent that isn't obscenely expensive to purchase. I don't even know if Apple *could* purchase AOL. Isn't AOL a big enough conglomerate (AOL Time Warner, MTV, etc.) to pretty much resist corporate takeover?

MTV = Viacom (not Time Warner)

I don't believe Apple has enough funds to buy a company like AOL (and most definitely not Time Warner-- who still owns AOL, though there has been a division/name split; also Disney is much more expensive than Apple could afford and so is Viacom)

All of Apple's purchases have been companies either on the downward swing, very new, or still private. (emagic where pro-audio market has a lousy profitablity factor, Casady and Greene IP, FCP developers from Macromedia which had been cycling around different companies before finding a home at Apple, and the ACID developer who brought Soundtrack after leaving Sonic Foundry.)

I also belive that Apple isn't invested in Pixar, Steve Jobs is. As much as we associated Steve with Apple, he's also a private individual and investor.

dr_fate
Oct 24, 2003, 03:42 AM
Probably not feasible but a buyout of Nintendo would be awesome! Would love to see Xbox2 and Microsoft flop with apple/nintendo raking in huge profits. Of course I'm a dreamer...

billyboy
Oct 24, 2003, 05:28 AM
Buying into as-yet-undiscovered technology companies is the way to go to really make an impact and gain instant market advantage. Look for some guy in his garage developing batteries that last for days at a time, or put up the cash for a little upstart company with a clever idea for an improved internet browsing experience. Buying up a major company thatīs not particularly in trouble is expensive - you have to spend a lot of time integrating it into the current business just to keep it at the level it already is, and buying proven international success is just not "thinking different" to the mainstream.

eclipse525
Oct 26, 2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Counterfit
How about some companies that make kick-ass shareware. Hire the coders (maybe), and turn the shareware into freeware. Sound familiar? I sure think it does :D

Hey...they did that with SoundJam and it gave birth to iTunes.

~e

themadchemist
Oct 26, 2003, 12:23 AM
AOL, and make it stand for Apple On-Line. Depends how much it costs of course but this would be good i think. There are probably three key influential companies on pc as far as the users are concerned - m$, Dell, and AOL. With dell being no 1 pc seller and aol numver one internet then anything they package will be used by a lot of users that dont like hunting round and installing software (sort of people that use ie, msn, outlook etc as they are just there already) . If apple got a foothold too and could make money out of it then thats cool. They already have the link with itunes and IM of course. Maybe they could port the AV part of iChat for aol subscribers and sell the iSight to them too. If they could improve the service and maybe offer mac only services then it will make pc users look at a mac more seriously. Maybe they could make a safari compatible browser to replace IE as their default browser and offer .mac style content as part or an extra for pc...of course you would need a mac for the intergration. Spinner radio could asso become aac and be played in itunes...i dunno what they would d with winamp and netscape however. People think AOL is evil, but i'm sure apple could make it better.

hmm, sounds a like everyone's favorite company there. Don't be so quick to follow your competitor's business plan and simultaneously accuse it of immorality.

themadchemist
Oct 26, 2003, 12:36 AM
I notice that there are two types of acquisitions noted here.

1. Those that are used to kill competition (the type with which Microsoft is very familiar)

2. Those that are used to adopt software and technology consistent with the company mission.

I think the first is dangerous, whereas the second one is often beneficial to customers and to the company's bottom line.

Apple's got a solid store of cash, but it wouldn't hurt to acquire companies with a great deal of cash assets. However, #2 above is better for the long run than this last suggestion.

And going back to #2...What about Pixar? I think that would be an appropriate acquisition, and a very profitable one. It would be a great way of entering the movie industry and would augment cash flow. Similar philosophies, too. Hmph! I wonder why.

jaw04005
Oct 26, 2003, 12:47 AM

Awww. SoundJam rocked, I kinda miss SJ but iTunes is better.

alset
Oct 26, 2003, 01:01 AM
I'd like to see them buy DigiDesign, then combine PT and Logic. Then we would have ultimate MIDI and audio editing in one app. Apple would also be much kinder to their customers than DD.

Agree about Tivo.

Hmmmmm..... This isn't an Apple-buys-them scenario, but I would love to see Apple and Sony work together.

Dan

Counterfit
Oct 26, 2003, 01:54 AM

~e Finally, a winner! What took you so long?

themadchemist
Oct 26, 2003, 12:11 PM
Finally, a winner! What took you so long?

temper, temper...Aren't you the same person who said that AOL might want to "leave" TimeWarner and merge with Apple?

Which of course makes an abundance of sense because Apple could really afford to buy AOL. And if it did, it would want it since AOL's financial situation is SO great. But I guess it's all moot since AOL would have to be a separate entity, anyway...

And since AOL controls TimeWarner, I imagine it couldn't just "leave." It would have to, oh, I don't know, spin it off or sell it or something.

And what does AOL disliking its (chosen) arrangement with TimeWarner have to do with wanting to partner with Apple or anyone else?

Please reserve your sarcasm to those threads in which each of your posts makes a sensible point.

Counterfit
Oct 26, 2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by themadchemist
temper, temper...Aren't you the same person who said that AOL might want to "leave" TimeWarner and merge with Apple?

Which of course makes an abundance of sense because Apple could really afford to buy AOL. And if it did, it would want it since AOL's financial situation is SO great. But I guess it's all moot since AOL would have to be a separate entity, anyway...

And since AOL controls TimeWarner, I imagine it couldn't just "leave." It would have to, oh, I don't know, spin it off or sell it or something.

And what does AOL disliking its (chosen) arrangement with TimeWarner have to do with wanting to partner with Apple or anyone else?
I was joking, but now you can see my temper. Try reading it again, you'll notice that it's pure speculation. Also, check your info, 01/11/01 AOL and Time Warner complete merger to create Time Warner (http://www.corp.aol.com/whoweare/history.html) Please reserve your sarcasm to those threads in which each of your posts makes a sensible point. 1.) Don't be such a hypocrite 2.) Since when was this thread about being sensible?

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 26, 2003, 12:44 PM
id software, blizzard?

Counterfit
Oct 26, 2003, 12:50 PM
I think buying Blizzard would make quite a few people pretty angry...

alset
Oct 26, 2003, 02:02 PM
Actually, Blizzard would be killer. Why didn't I think of that? But I don't see Apple getting into the game market....

I know! They can buy M$ and Dell with Monopoly money and then move all their operations to Park Place! OK, now I'm just being facetious.

Dan

themadchemist
Oct 26, 2003, 04:11 PM
I was joking, but now you can see my temper. Try reading it again, you'll notice that it's pure speculation. Also, check your info, 01/11/01 AOL and Time Warner complete merger to create Time Warner (http://www.corp.aol.com/whoweare/history.html) 1.) Don't be such a hypocrite 2.) Since when was this thread about being sensible?

Well, I apologize for getting annoyed. I don't like people who's facts aren't correct to jump all over other people.

So I still don't like you jumping all over people, whether eclipse or me.

I don't particularly care to see your temper, but I am interested in pointing out your mistakes, especially when you call me a hypocrite. I won't call you a hypocrite. Rather, I'll call you a person who doesn't research thoroughly enough, doesn't follow mergers & acquisitions, or happened to be closing his eyes and ears to business world during 2001.

Your link was totally uninformative. It states that AOL and Time Warner merged to create Time Warner. Yes. But here's the actual story.

AOL and Time Warner merged to create AOL Time Warner. Only recently was there a name change to Time Warner. This probably was because AOL has been the weaker end of the company and for PR reasons, it would be better off as just Time Warner.

It's actually unfortunate that the only piece of evidence you had that I was wrong was a name change for the company. That's really not enough.

AOL DID acquire Time Warner, but don't take MY word for it.

I'm sure you'll trust a little publication called Forbes. I've heard that they run a business story or two from time to time.

Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/2001/01/12/0112topaol.html)

I'm not afraid, though, to display the pertinent quote, instead of just providing a link. I think this line pretty much sums up my point. Notice how it says that "Time Warner" is being "acquired" by "AOL."

Time Warner is about to be visited by the latter as the Federal Communications Commission cleared the final obstacle to its being acquired by America Online.

And if you put more stock in the Brits than those crrrrazy Americans, then you'll appreciate this tidbit from the BBC.

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/597782.stm)

The following information isn't as outright, but it definitely suggests that AOL wasn't being bought out by Time Warner.

In terms of market capitalisation, America Online is about twice the size of Time Warner, but AOL's shareholders are asked to control only 55% of the new company.

AOL's market cap was twice that of Time Warner. Somehow, I doubt that Time Warner would be buying AOL. Of course, they weren't, since AOL shareholders had to "settle" for a 55% stake in the new company...What's that? AOL shareholders had the controlling share of stock? That means that the shareholders, the owners of AOL, were asked to "compromise" for the controlling holdings in AOL Time Warner. That means AOL's owners together had full control over the newly formed corporation.

So next time you want to call someone a hypocrite, do a little more research than just to grab a vague factoid off of a company timeline.

themadchemist
Oct 26, 2003, 04:11 PM
I think buying Blizzard would make quite a few people pretty angry...

That's probably true.

FightTheFuture
Oct 26, 2003, 04:49 PM
They already have the link with itunes and IM of course. Maybe they could port the AV part of iChat for aol subscribers and sell the iSight to them too.

this may be a little off topic but i was thinking about this too - if iTunes is adapted well on a pc, the next best iapp would be ichat - sure, msn and yahoo messenger probably have capabilities to use a crummy webcam, but AIM is still being used more then the latter. well, at least in the US.

if AIM were to be revised as iChat, then people everywhere would be using it for A/V conferencing. iChat IMHO is the only useable and stable A/V messenger. maybe apple could get some revenue from selling the isight to all the AIM/iChat users. not to mention finally bringing people around the world together with good A/V chatting. :p

a companys product that i wish apple could steal a product away from is discreets combustion. apple has a good digital video base with final cut pro, dv studio pro, and shake. they could throw a nice finishing program in there to compete with adobe after effects. of course that would prolly get adobe into a frenzy.

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 26, 2003, 05:26 PM
still Apple needs a killer mac company that can crank out a killer game that makes everyone say my god i want a mac just to play that thing!!! i guess we still need hardware that can get by that old p4 3.2???Anyways think what if mac bought bungie before microsoft did???

bennetsaysargh
Oct 26, 2003, 08:47 PM
they should have bought connectix when they had the chance! they could have bought it, and then sold switcher bundles with VPC in it. think about it!

argh.

also, i would like them not to buy any company with an online music store because like someone has said and many will say, if there is no motivation, it will become microsoft-ish.

maybe adobe? AOL seems like a good idea for them to work with, not buy. eWorld all over again. ID? how about not rushing the OS next time to stay way too much farther ahead of MS? just thinking.

yamabushi
Oct 26, 2003, 09:05 PM
Any talented game developer that currently has little presence on Macs. How about Valve or Square?

Counterfit
Oct 26, 2003, 09:20 PM
What don't you understand about the word "speculation". Certainly the reference to my academic major of choice should scream out I DON'T ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. And if you want to flame me about jumping on someone where my sarcasm should have been fairly obvious, maybe you should take a look at your post and mine and realize that my comments to eclipse had nothing to do with AOL buying/merging with TimeWarner.

eclipse525
Oct 26, 2003, 09:25 PM
Gaming is a great area but they must first conqeur the first beast or rather win their hearts. That would be Corporate America. How about they buy out Oracle?? Hmmm.....

~e

nuckinfutz
Oct 26, 2003, 11:05 PM
To find out who Apple needs to purchase we need to look at where they are weak or where they can gain significant talent or IP.

#1 Sun Microsystems- The remaining talent of engineering alone makes this and enticing acquisition. Apple and Sun both love to develop new products.

#2 Tivo- Apples Golden Chariot right into the living rooms of America. Tivo has to withstand the onslaught of PVR options from the large Cable Operators. A buyout may be what's necessary to keep them alive.

#3 Real software- Put this company out of it's misery and assume it's contracts with Quicktime content.

#4- Minnetonka Audio- They make High End DVD Audio mastering tools. Rumor was Apple was considering them. However DVD-Audio is not taking off enough. It's still a worthy application for musicians who want to mixdown to 24/96 media.

yamabushi
Oct 26, 2003, 11:43 PM
How about Blackboard or WebCT? Their online education tools and customer base could help wrap up the education market. It would also nicely compliment Apple's existing education related information tracking software, Powerschool.

How about spending some money on a wide variety of powerful business apps? The guys at Gobe would be a good place to start for building a new office suite (integrate w/ Keynote). Supply chain management, project management, human resource management, executive information management for decision making, financial and accounting systems, and various groupware can all be combined into a powerful package(companies pay big bucks for this kind of stuff). Buy a couple of suppliers of such software and use their experience to help create the best solutions in these industries.

themadchemist
Oct 27, 2003, 08:27 PM
What don't you understand about the word "speculation". Certainly the reference to my academic major of choice should scream out I DON'T ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. And if you want to flame me about jumping on someone where my sarcasm should have been fairly obvious, maybe you should take a look at your post and mine and realize that my comments to eclipse had nothing to do with AOL buying/merging with TimeWarner.

My point of contention was your sarcasm. And your comments to eclipse of course have nothing to do with AOL acquiring Time Warner. My comment referenced two posts you made.

You're right, your reference to your major was an appropriate disclaimer. However, I found your sarcasm dismaying with regard to the factual errors (disclaimer or not) with your other post.

My first post was a bit biting and sarcastic, and I apologize if it caused offense.

However, you called me a hypocrite. You made a statement far stronger there than mine criticizing your post and your actions. You criticized me as a person, and that is far more offensive. It was doubly offensive because you very demeaningly assailed my arguments, and falsely so. There was no disclaimer here. This post on your part attempted to command significant authority on the matter.

I, therefore, felt that in order to demonstrate that I certainly was not a hypocrite, I should point out to you that the arguments used to besmirch my opinions were faulty. That is what I did.

But let's stop it here. I'm sorry for my part and if you regret your comments, that's fine. If you don't, that's all right, too. I just don't want to get into a flame, get this (potentially interesting) thread wastelanded, and make the whole experience unpleasant.

I just implore you to be a little more cautious with the throwing around of words like "hypocrite," especially when you don't actually have a full picture of the matter at hand. It's just that calling people hypocrities tends to strike a sensitive point in most poeple's psyches.

NavyIntel007
Oct 27, 2003, 08:43 PM
I say form a merger with Sun microsystems. Unify Apple, Sun and Pixar under a parent company and spin off the iTunes Music Store as a subsidiary of the parent company and not of Apple.

That would pretty much kill the apple lawsuit for the rest of time.

Counterfit
Oct 27, 2003, 09:10 PM
Fine, I can drop it. But I'm still left wondering where the link between my two posts can be found. And yes, I was wrong about the whole merger/buyout thing. "Merger" seems to me like you make two companies into one, not one having a controlling stake in the other. But it's not up to me to decide is it?

illumin8
Oct 27, 2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by nuckinfutz
To find out who Apple needs to purchase we need to look at where they are weak or where they can gain significant talent or IP.

#1 Sun Microsystems- The remaining talent of engineering alone makes this and enticing acquisition. Apple and Sun both love to develop new products.

#2 Tivo- Apples Golden Chariot right into the living rooms of America. Tivo has to withstand the onslaught of PVR options from the large Cable Operators. A buyout may be what's necessary to keep them alive.

#3 Real software- Put this company out of it's misery and assume it's contracts with Quicktime content.

#4- Minnetonka Audio- They make High End DVD Audio mastering tools. Rumor was Apple was considering them. However DVD-Audio is not taking off enough. It's still a worthy application for musicians who want to mixdown to 24/96 media.
This is the first insightful post in the whole thread. Apple needs to buy Sun in order to gain a foothold in the enterprise market. If Apple uses Sun's ability to create high-end servers while Apple makes killer workstations that all fit together into an enterprise architecture, the combined companies could provide an end-to-end system which might be able to unseat the Microsoft monopoly in corporate America (and the rest of the world, for that matter). Right now Sun is fire-sale cheap also, as the stock is so low.

Mord
Oct 29, 2003, 05:17 AM
has anyone noticed that gamecubes have very simmiler tech. to macs ppc prosseor?
an intergration would be easy

GregA
Oct 29, 2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by illumin8
This is the first insightful post in the whole thread. Apple needs to buy Sun in order to gain a foothold in the enterprise market. If Apple uses Sun's ability to create high-end servers while Apple makes killer workstations that all fit together into an enterprise architecture, the combined companies could provide an end-to-end system which might be able to unseat the Microsoft monopoly in corporate America (and the rest of the world, for that matter). Right now Sun is fire-sale cheap also, as the stock is so low. I agree Sun is an interesting match.

I must admit, I'd like to see ACT bought out by Apple. A quality contact management system, merged with iCal, on Windows and Mac.

Counterfit
Oct 29, 2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Hector
has anyone noticed that gamecubes have very simmiler tech. to macs ppc prosseor?
an intergration would be easy That's probably because IBM makes the processor for the 'Cube, and ATI supplied the video.

Jesus on OSX
Oct 30, 2003, 04:00 AM
Apple should buy an iPod with a student discount and chill out to smooth sounds of jazz for a while.

lewdvig
Oct 30, 2003, 10:48 AM
I think Nintendo could buy Apple. They are huge with billions in the bank.

I think buying DD makes sense. DD users love the product but hate the company. I used to have to deal with DD product managers. Yuck. I like the idea of Apple being the complete vertical solution for music, from content creation through to distribution.

A game developer would be good. Blizzard was shopped around by Vivendi for a long time. It caused the founders to leave. Their IP is good. But long term prospect are not so good with the departure of the founders.

Valve is not for sale. Newell likes being independant and Steam is just another step in that direction. Soon they won't even need a publisher.

SquareEnix is pretty big now and both Sony and EA have stakes so this is unlikely.

The really good studios like iD and Epic are successful enough that they don't need anyone's money. If they did there would be a long line up.

TIVO would be cool. Apple is not in this space, but they should be. A TV/Video equivelant to the iPod with be huge for Apple.

legion
Oct 30, 2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by lewdvig
I think Nintendo could buy Apple. They are huge with billions in the bank.

I think buying DD makes sense. DD users love the product but hate the company. I used to have to deal with DD product managers. Yuck. I like the idea of Apple being the complete vertical solution for music, from content creation through to distribution.

I really dislike DD too, but they have a stranglehold on the market. They would never be sold to Apple and since they are owned by Avid, there's no chance that either would be taken by Apple. (Especially since Microsoft has partial ownership of Avid) In both broadcast, film, and music, Avid and it's music branch, Digidesign, have little to no competition. Every other music software/hardware company would love to have Digidesign's revenue streams.

(Odd thing is I like Avid, but once again it's because the product is excellent-- the company I could do without)

eclipse525
Oct 30, 2003, 06:35 PM
If they did go the route of let's say a TIVO or DD or any other company in that area, can you imagine what the iPod would probably evolve into? I don't care what anybody says but an iPod with PDA/Video/and ofcourse the Music capabilites would just be plain cool. Oh and a touch screen that fits in the palm of your hand. I'm tired of hearing from all those iPod purist that say it should just stay a music player. Please....I commute to work everyday and am not always in the mood to listen to music but would love to watch a quick flick or even play a game of sorts. I'd rather not have different device for all those functions. Would you. The only concern is that it's excuted right from the inception. That's my rant for the night. Sorry.

~e