PDA

View Full Version : About GPU Drivers

Mercuric Oxide
Feb 7, 2008, 10:57 PM
1 - AMD's latest drivers for the 2600 are only available for XP, will installing these drivers negatively affect performance in OSX?

2 - Do ATi drivers need to be uninstalled after installing the 8800GT for best performance (in Windows)?

3 - With the past Mac Pro's, were GPU driver updates common? Or are these within apple's software updates?

Thanks

Mackilroy
Feb 8, 2008, 01:00 AM
1. Are you trying to install the XP drivers in OS X?

2. Not that I'm aware of. The 8800 would just utilize its own drivers.

3. I never noticed any specific driver updates, I'd assume they're in Apple's more general software updates.

Mercuric Oxide
Feb 8, 2008, 01:31 AM
No, I installed the drivers for XP. However, AMD's site has driver sections for XP, but also a section called "Apple Boot Camp" which isn't as up to date. So I just wanted to make sure that downloading windows specific drivers wouldn't harm OSX performance.

Infrared
Feb 8, 2008, 04:48 AM
No, I installed the drivers for XP. However, AMD's site has driver sections for XP, but also a section called "Apple Boot Camp" which isn't as up to date. So I just wanted to make sure that downloading windows specific drivers wouldn't harm OSX performance.

It should be fine, as long as you don't install any
firmware, but it doesn't sound to me like you are.

Infrared
Feb 8, 2008, 04:50 AM

It should be fine, as long as you don't install any
firmware, but it doesn't sound to me like you are.

When I was dual-booting Vista on my Mac, I'd just
grab the latest Catalyst drivers.