PDA

View Full Version : Motion 6800 vs. 8800

Maddler
Feb 7, 2008, 11:06 PM
I've been using Motion to do some heavy particle/lighting work today and now I remember why I rarely use Motion - it crawls on my dual 2.7 G5 w/ 5.5GB RAM and 6800 Ultra. I'm waiting on an octo 3.2 w/ 20GB RAM and 8800 GT to arrive.

So how much faster should I expect Motion to run? Besides the extra cores and jump to Intel, does Motion utilize newer GPU shaders or instruction sets?

I'm getting excited to see how it will run on the new system, because it's an amazing app, I just need it to run moderately faster than pure molasses.

Kosh66
Feb 7, 2008, 11:20 PM
It's gonna be alot faster. The speed difference between a PowerMac G5 and Mac Pro is amazing and the GPU will help especially in Motion. You won't be disappointed with the upgrade.

Reach
Feb 8, 2008, 12:36 AM
I've been using Motion to do some heavy particle/lighting work today and now I remember why I rarely use Motion - it crawls on my dual 2.7 G5 w/ 5.5GB RAM and 6800 Ultra. I'm waiting on an octo 3.2 w/ 20GB RAM and 8800 GT to arrive.

So how much faster should I expect Motion to run? Besides the extra cores and jump to Intel, does Motion utilize newer GPU shaders or instruction sets?

I'm getting excited to see how it will run on the new system, because it's an amazing app, I just need it to run moderately faster than pure molasses.

Same here, had a dual 2,5 g5 with the 6800, and Motion is the main reason I ordered a new 3ghz. Only 10gb RAM here so far though, but that's fixable later.

So, heres to a swift new world of Motion once our machines arrive!