PDA

View Full Version : DOUBBLE YOUR 10.1 UPDATE SPEED

MasterX (OSiX)
Oct 4, 2001, 06:21 PM
My guess is that this is only an issue with people who've used an upgrade CD, instead of a full install but:

Go to the ProcessViewer, doubble-click LaunchCFMapp. Watch as all your apps run 2x faster. Especially games. I think in OSX 10.0.x this was a nessisarry app, but on my G4 it isn't even runnign anymore (since my Games started running faster). I figured (for my iBook) I might as well try quitting whatever core-app that was using all my cycles. Well to my surprise, MacOS kept running after I quit LaunchCMF. WOW! All my games are liquid smooth. I am now truly amazed!

PS: If anyone knows what LaunchCFMapp is/does and/or how to prevent it from launching on start post a reply.

al256
Oct 4, 2001, 08:38 PM
My God that does incress my speed. I wonder what real purpose it has. I do notice a good speed jump when I do this. Thank you so much Master X.

MasterX (OSiX)
Oct 4, 2001, 08:42 PM
I've been trying to figure out why this file exists. Did you update from either the Bublic Beta or 10.0.x? Or was it a fresh install?

My theory is that it is an old app used by carbon in old MacOSX builds, and that the 10.1 updater fails to remove it. I send a report to Apple about it, but they'll probably not respond.

al256
Oct 4, 2001, 08:55 PM
I update it from 10.0.4 also im using a pismo 400 with 192mbs of ram. You might be right about the carbon use, I did I quick check of all my programs and classic to see if they run and they do. Thanx again Nick.

MasterX (OSiX)
Oct 4, 2001, 09:20 PM
I just checked my processes (I thought 10.1 was acting slowly) and AHHH! LaunchCFMApp had returned, naturally I force quit it, but Internet Explorer went with it. I tried a few times. If Internet Explorer is a high-level carbon app it must be a carbon library. If it's a cocoa app, i'd guess it's connected with IE5 itself. You know this is how IE launches so fast on a WinBox. It's integrated into the OS, well I always wanted a good reason to use OmniWeb, and here it is.

Upon recent further investigation, there's a file called "Default Plugin Carbon.cfm" within the IE5.1 package. The LaunchCFM must be connected to IE5 on a core-level. Once IE5.1 is made Cocoa it'll probably work much better anyway. If it is Cocoa, it's sad.

[Edited by MasterX (OSiX) on 10-04-2001 at 10:23 PM]

GadgetLover
Oct 9, 2001, 07:12 PM
So, are you saying that I still need the LaunchCFM app if I want to use IE X ?

Has anyone noticed any other sideeffect to quitting this process??

iamnotmad
Oct 9, 2001, 09:24 PM
I think this is required by any carbon apps. If you kill it, it will return when you launch any carbon app.

MasterX (OSiX)
Oct 9, 2001, 09:49 PM
I've been doing a bunch of testing with LaunCFMApp, when you quit it it'll re-open when needed. GUARANTEED. Often (almost always actually) It'll even be nice enough to quit when Carbon is not in use. The only bad thing is quitting it when running a carbon app. Here's a short list of popular carbon apps:
1) Internet Explorer 5.1
2) iMovie
3) iTunes
4) AOL Instant Messenger
5) Finder (less than OSX 10.1: 10.0.1/2/3/4)

I recommend using:
-OmniWeb instead of IE5
-Audion 2.5 MIGHT be cocoa, not shure, iTunes is still my pick though
-Fire is better than AIM, and it uses all IM clients (irc, ICQ, yahoo) but has no buddy icon
-MacOSX 10.1 instead of 10.0.4
-All Emulators I'm aware of (besides Classic mode)

Cocoa apps will treat your system better, often perform better, and usually take advantage of more OSX-only features, like drawers.

----------

Also keep in mind that almost all new 3rd party apps are carbon, especially games:
Alice, Unreal Tournament, Tony Hawk, Strange Flavour games, and The Sims for example.

Note that although quitting LaunCFMApp helps games in particular, carbon games run better when you quit LaunchCFMApp before running them, even though they probably require it.

All games from OmniGroup are coca, they're independent of LaunchCFMApp.

FAKK2, Oni (the one by OmniGroup, not bungie), Citizen Kabuto, Quake3 Arena, The Cow Catching Game, Cowy the Mine Sweeper, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein are all examples of games that are cocoa. Cocoa games need work, they run really well, but crash too much for my liking (but to be fair, most are betas)

----------

Most carbon apps have an option for "run in Classic mode" when you get info on them. Some apps are carbon for macosx only and will not have this option, IE5 for example.

iamnotmad
Oct 10, 2001, 12:30 AM
Finder is still carbon in 10.1

Dradts
Oct 17, 2001, 10:12 AM
IE X is also carbon, not cocoa! Guess it will stay that way for a while.

bryan
Oct 17, 2001, 10:47 AM
LaunchCFMApp is a "wrapper" for any CFM based application. It has nothing to do with Carbon. Though, today, 99% of all Carbon apps are still CFM based.

CFM stands for Code Fragment Manager. It's the method that Macintosh has used to physically store executable (object) files on disk since the PowerPC came out. Executable files include applications, inits, libraries and so on.

Mac OS X does not support CFM as a native object form. Instead the native format is called mach-o. Apps in mach-o format will not run on Mac OS 8/9 or in Classic mode.

Since tools like MPW and CodeWarrior do not support mach-o and in order to allow developers to build one app that could run on both 8/9 and X Apple had to figure out a way to get CFM based apps working on X. Their solution: LaunchCFMApp.

LaunchCFMApp is a mach-o based app that knows how to load and execute CFM based apps inside of Mac OS X. It's really nothing more than a trick to let CFM apps work normally on Mac OS X.

CodeWarrior Pro 7 can now generate mach-o applications, so it's likely that more and more Carbon-based apps will begin to use mach-o. But, LaunchCFMApp will never go away unless Apple adds CFM support directly into the BSD layer and into the kernel. That's unlikely.

MasterX (OSiX)
Oct 17, 2001, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the explanation. Glad to hear it has a purbose. As for someone else's comment, yeah the finder is still Carbon, but I think Apple added new features to the carbon API or something like that. Kensington's complaint for their scroll wheels in OSX was lack of support through carbon. Now some apps work w/the wheel some don't. So according to that explanation, some carbon apps don't require the CFM? And even if Apple can't be ridded of the CFM, I think they could at least optimize it, I mean in 10.0.4 it was really much more efficient. In iMovie 2.1.1 (X) I capture video fine, but so little power is left for the display it looks like some PC capture crap at 3fps. I want back my 20+!!! I wouldn't be surprised if CFM's usage was down 85% in 10.1.1

MasterX (OSiX)
Oct 17, 2001, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by bryan
LaunchCFMApp is a "wrapper" for any CFM based application. It has nothing to do with Carbon. Though, today, 99% of all Carbon apps are still CFM based.

1) Is that why some apps that are carbon only run under OSX and some under OS9 only?

2) Then why does CFM behave so much better after quitting it once?