Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Does anyone know why I'm not getting any sound in VMWare Fusion? I have XP Pro installed, SP1 I believe and VMWare Tools, yet I get no sound.

Running the latest version of Fusion.

Bobbi Flekman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
a. Have you checked whether you have sound in OS X?

b. Is the soundcard connected? In the right lower corner you should see an icon representing the "sound device". Click on it and see if it is connected.

Which program are you running in XP that should sound something? Does the Control Panel -> Sounds give you something audible?

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Have you downloaded the driver from Windows Update?

I haven't. But I will this evening and see if it makes a difference.

a. Have you checked whether you have sound in OS X?

b. Is the soundcard connected? In the right lower corner you should see an icon representing the "sound device". Click on it and see if it is connected.

Which program are you running in XP that should sound something? Does the Control Panel -> Sounds give you something audible?

Yep, sound works fine in OS X. Sound is 'On' in the VMWare settings, and in VMWare tools. XP says there is no audio device installed. I have even tried installing the BootCamp Audio drivers and that doesn't work.

In Windows, Grand Theft Auto 1 and/or 2 should have sound, but nothing has sound.

For the record, GTA is a pain in the arse to play in VMWare, because you press Control and the arrows and it moves spaces. lol.

XianPalin

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
I'd install SP2 before I did anything else. There are a lot of additional drivers in SP2, and I imagine most of the VM drivers and software are expecting Windows SP2.

fusionrocks

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
Hi there!

Sorry that you're running into some snags. You might want to bring this up on the VMware Fusion user forums, located here: http://www.vmware.com/go/fusionforums

We have a lot of sharp users, and engineers, that frequent the forum, and it's probably the best bet to kick off your search.

Best,

~VMware Fusion Team

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
Good for you. And now that I read all this I remember that the minimum specs for VMware were SP-2! Doh!!!

All well that ends well.

I have SP-2 and still no sound.

I had sound in Fusion version 1.2

no sound when upgraded to version 1.3

no sound in upgrading to version 2.0

nothing helps:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.