PDA

View Full Version : Airport extreme does not detect my hard drives

kencris
Feb 8, 2008, 02:53 AM
Hello, I have a little problem here, my airport extreme does not detect my maxtor hard drive, if I connect the hard drive directly to the macbook pro, I have no problem but when I connect it to the aiport extreme I can not locate it, it does not show anywhere. Am I doing something wrong? I found some hlp sayying that I neded to format it with mac OS extended and I am afraid that if do so I will end up erasing everything, at the store I was told I would get no problem connecting t and that it would be detected automatically, am I doing something wrong?

gr8tfly
Feb 8, 2008, 03:00 AM
Is it bus powered?

edit: If so, try an external power supply for it (or powered hub).

kencris
Feb 8, 2008, 07:50 AM
Yes it is bus powered.

If I check on the Airport utility (on the disks tab) it shows on the list, but how can I access it? it does not show anywhere else. :(

Is it bus powered?

edit: If so, try an external power supply for it (or powered hub).

gr8tfly
Feb 8, 2008, 03:25 PM
Yes it is bus powered.

If I check on the Airport utility (on the disks tab) it shows on the list, but how can I access it? it does not show anywhere else. :(

In the File Sharing tab, make sure "Enable file sharing" is checked". You can select the method of security, and enter a password, if required.

kencris
Feb 8, 2008, 04:01 PM
In the File Sharing tab, make sure "Enable file sharing" is checked". You can select the method of security, and enter a password, if required.

I have done that but I can not find the drive, I also tried from my PC and it is the same thing in the disk tab it shows on the list as a hard drive connected to the airport but I can not do anything from there and I dont know how to acces it. neither from the mac or the PC.

gr8tfly
Feb 8, 2008, 04:23 PM
Does the Airport itself show up in the SHARED list in the Finder? The Air Disk won't show up there, itself. You have to click on the Airport, then any shared disks will be in the Finder window, but, not under SHARED.

kencris
Feb 9, 2008, 02:39 AM
Does the Airport itself show up in the SHARED list in the Finder? The Air Disk won't show up there, itself. You have to click on the Airport, then any shared disks will be in the Finder window, but, not under SHARED.

The airport does shows in the shared window, but if I click on it only shows a big ikon of a computer that sys connected but nothing else.
Also how can I locate it on the PC?

Mindflux
Feb 9, 2008, 10:13 AM
The airport does shows in the shared window, but if I click on it only shows a big ikon of a computer that sys connected but nothing else.
Also how can I locate it on the PC?

Are the drives formatted as HFS+? The Airport extreme wont support NTFS or FAT32.

You need to load the disk utility that came with your extreme for the PC to find the drives. (Worry about your Mac finding them first).

kencris
Feb 9, 2008, 10:51 AM
Are the drives formatted as HFS+? The Airport extreme wont support NTFS or FAT32.

You need to load the disk utility that came with your extreme for the PC to find the drives. (Worry about your Mac finding them first).

Sorry excuse my ignorance about this, but if I do this formatting as HFS+ what will it happen to my files? will I loose everything?

gr8tfly
Feb 9, 2008, 01:57 PM
It does support FAT32, but not NTFS.

Mindflux
Feb 9, 2008, 03:27 PM
Sorry excuse my ignorance about this, but if I do this formatting as HFS+ what will it happen to my files? will I loose everything?

Yes a format would cause you to lose files.

If your filesystem isn't HFS+ or FAT32 (as the poster above me states) then the Airport will not read the drive. Chances are if you formatted it on a Windows machine it is NTFS file system.