Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I've finally got my shiny new G5, but now I've got several PATA drives laying around and I'm trying to put together a plan for what sorts of Firewire cases to put them in.

I'm going to be dealing with at least 2 120GB IDE drives (maybe a 40GB too), and I currently have a decent generic-branded 3.5" FW case, and a generic dual-drive 3.5" FW case from The Nerds (I think). I want to use one drive for offline storage, and the 2nd for backups (not frequently connected).

Unfortunately, the dual case just seems to be flaky--it seems to have problems waking the drives from sleep and I frequently get Kernel panics when first plugging it into 10.2 (maybe Jaguar will fix that, but since my other FW case doesn't seem to do the same thing I'm suspicious).

So, I'm basically debating between three options, and I'm hoping the knowledgable people here might be able to kick in some advice:

1) Hope that my problems with the dual drive case are fixed by Jaguar and just take the risk of using it.

2) Try to unload the dual drive case on eBay, and buy a 2nd 3.5" FW case. Along those lines, does anybody have any experience with a good cheap case (~$50 range--I'm poor thanks to my G5)? I've seen plenty of Aluminum semi-name-brand ones, but don't want to buy a bum brand.

3) Coolest option: Get a 5.25" FW case, and put a Vantec EZ-SWAP Removable Hard Drive Rack in it. As far as I can tell, these are just IDE/Power passthroughs with some insturmentation on them, so they SHOULD theoretically work just fine in a FW case. If that's true, if I need more storage/backup in the future I can just buy new carriers at ~$30 and swap them out.

That last option would be uber-cool (particularly with the LCD readout models), but I'm nervous about it actually working as well as it seems it should.

Has anybody tried anything similar, or even used one? Here's Vantec's Link.

Recap:

a) Any cheap 3.5" FW case recommendations?
b) Will the Vantec IDE EZ Swap carrier work with an External FW case?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Forgot to add this before; the inexpensive case brands (other than "house" stuff) that I see come up frequently are:

Coolmax
Bytecc
Argosy
Plumax

A couple have nice looking enclosures (at least in the pictures), but has anybody actually used any of these?

Edit: I also just realized that WibeTech's DriveDock drives (essentially a prepackaged version of the Vantec setup I was fantasizing about from a reliable company) appears to use docks that are identical to the Vantec ones, at least as far as the front panel goes:

http://www.wiebetech.com/products/baydock.html

This makes me wonder if they're not really the same thing, and gives me some hope that it might work (no go on just buying the WibeTech model, since they start at nearly $200).

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
i bought this one from The Macsmith. Here is there web link though my Univeristies tech page. Since it is through my Universities page, it already includes the Student Discount.

Go here: http://www.themacsmith.com/bgsu.html

Go to the Hardware section and look around. I think it is called the Pro FireWire mini Hard Drive. Anyway, you can just by th case to the prtable drive if you want. Heres th link to the hard drive page: http://www.themacsmith.com/minidrive.html

Its kind of steap, but for me it was well worth it. I bought the 40GB drive, and i haven't had any problems with it yet. Good Luck with your search and project though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.