Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
When you buy an Apple TV, order a second remote.

These things are useless without one! DUH!

This morning as I was moving laundry from the washer to the dryer my Apple TV Remote was in the bottom of the washing machine. At least it was clean and shiny.

I was tempted to point it at the Apple TV and see if it still worked, but I am smarter than that. I pulled the battery and blew air through the unit then I left it in direct sunlight to dry it out even more so. In the mean tim I have an Apple TV and no remote as the remote for my iMac was 'borrowed'.

Well the good news in, the washed remote survived unscathed after being dried out. Not saying you can wash yours and it will survive but I will say this.

If you remote takes a bath, do NOT try to use it until it has been thoroughly dried out.

Oh yeah, ya know the button you push to release the battery? There is also a similar button inside the remote. Anyone know what that is for???

Thanks!!!!

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
If you are talking about a little grey button on the inside, I think it is a type of spring that pushes the battery compartment out. You can see that pressing the white button on the outside moves a pair of clips. But to actually push the compartment out there needs to be a spring of some sort.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
I kind of thought that was the purpose.

I wanted to dismantle it so that I could insure it was completely dry.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.