Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
iPodHacks updated with a rumor that Apple will be releasing a PC-version of the iPod with a Windows based iTunes-like application... the partner to provide the software? RealNetworks...

Macrumors can provide some confirmation of this rumor... PumaCode who had previously provided accurate tips regarding OS X updates reported back in February that a PC iPod was in the works... though at the time it was reportedly being developed simultaneously with the 10gig iPod (which has since been released).

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
So out of the 10 PC users at class I have shown the iPod I have to, that makes...no surprise...10 PC users in my class who will get one!

PumaCode was right on their rumor. I better visit their site more often.

Question: If Apple plans to release an iPod for the PC doesn't that mean some people who are deciding to get a Mac for their iPod or a PC for their "SPEED?" will switch to a PC because the PC world eventually will have iPods?

Any time is a great time for iPod.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
It would give Apple the potential for much higher profits which could then be re-invested into the mac though. It does have its up side. I'm sure I read that someone had got an ipod working with a pc! Why should they get the profits instead of Apple.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
As a PC user (and huge mac fan), I think Apple would come out of a PC version of the iPod, but not using Real Network's software.

Why not Real? Cuz it's software is bloated, has had privacy problems in the past, and not that easy to use (not providing a very "Apple" experience). Apple should develop its own verson of iTunes for the PC and market it heavily.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
awesome!

Apple's mp3 market share will SOAR with this release. I'm psyched. 75% of my customers at CompUSA want an iPod, but are waiting for this release. Go Apple!

-Pete

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
My only problem with using Real is that this will promote their player and not quicktime.

ear2ear

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2002
Toronto
Maybe it was a trade:

Get Real involved with this and they'll release an OSX version on RealOne.

I know, I know. RealOne sucks, but there is simply too much available content on the web that requires Reals player.

Or maybe even better yet, Real will allow Apple to play .rm files in Quicktime.

Now we're talking.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Seems that cross-platform inter-compatibility would be kept to a minimum, unless Apple implemented a way (like MacDrive) to mount HFS+ volumes under Windows.

This probably means that the two 'pods would essentially be just for one platform (unless you had MacDrive). I don't think many PC users would mind, but maybe some Mac people would, since they couldn't use an exclusive iPod with both of their machines.

That's just blasphemous in my mind to see a marvel of engineering, that is meant to be pure Apple from start to finish, running on Windows (I could just see a multi-colored m$ flag flying on the perfect snow white box :(). But Apple is a company, and this would be one way for them to make more $, abeit unlikely.

Luckster

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2001
Texas
I would speculate that if Apple did release a PC version of the software necessary to sync to an iPod, it would not be too iTunes like. Apple does not make money by providing Windows customers with great software. However, selling iPods on the general market would help Apple's bottom line. Therefore, it is probably only a matter of time before they allow PC users to sync to an iPod.

The software would probably not be Real. Apple would probably make their own software, much like QT for Windows. Also, I would not hold my breath for RealOne on OS X. Besides, RealOne is really not very good software.

Finally, there will not be two versions of the iPod. It has nothing to do with HFS+ or any other format. The iPod runs a proprietary OS. It can just as easily sync to a PC as it can a Macintosh.

ennerseed

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
OK?

ok just one more reason for me to leave the mac and it was provided by Apple!

j/k but how many times will this happen?

or people switching to the mac will have one less reason.

Q-bert

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2002
Originally posted by Luckster
Finally, there will not be two versions of the iPod. It has nothing to do with HFS+ or any other format. The iPod runs a proprietary OS. It can just as easily sync to a PC as it can a Macintosh.
It's true that the iPod uses a proprietary OS, but I believe the format of the hard drive is simple HFS+. All of the current iPod-to-Windows software out there has to get around this somehow in order to use it with Windows, given that Windows cannot read HFS+ natively. Therefore, the only way for Apple to get the iPod to work on a PC is to either A) have the user do an initial "reformat" of the drive to use it under Windows, which would have the disadvantage of making it difficult to plug into either a PC or Mac at will, or B) include software that can recognize the format of the iPod drive, as XPlay does.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: OK?

Originally posted by ennerseed
ok just one more reason for me to leave the mac and it was provided by Apple!

j/k but how many times will this happen?

or people switching to the mac will have one less reason.

Well... perhaps - but it could be seen as the first step towards owning a Mac. A PC user gets exposed to the iPod - likes what he/she sees... hears more about Apple etc....

They have to know you exist first... :)

arn

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
although this is kinda unrelated, can an iPod play two or more mp3's simultaneously? if not, could 3rd party software on it possibly do such a thing?

sjs

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2002
GA
If Apple offers basically just the iPod, and not our version of iTunes, there is really no downside for Apple. As Arn said, it lets PCers experience a great Apple product and then hopefully become aware of Apple when its time for a new computer.

BTW, suppose Apple could sell 200,000 per year to PC owners. I'll bet the gross margin on the iPod is at least $150 per unit. That scenario would produce $30 million dollars pre-tax profit. That alone could boost Apple's bottom line by well over 10%.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
I think it's a good move but the potential alliance with Real doesn't sound right? They're Apple's direct competition, aren't they? Not to mention that the Real Player is one of the most badly designed softwares of all time. What makes more sense is if they built in a iTunes-like module into Quicktime 6.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Yeah, I agree with the exposure to a great Apple product, but why limit iTunes to a stripped down version? Give them a full port so they can see how hreat the iApps are on a Mac. I know some of you will say, "Yeah but then they won't need a Mac, they'll have iTunes!". Maybe. I say that an exposure to the Mac's real ease of use al a iTunes will make them more curious about Apple in general, which leads to more business. If they see how easy iTunes is (especially when used with the iPod) compared to the Nomad or other such devices with Windows, then maybe they'll get rid of the hassle of Windows. Just my 2 ¢.

Gus

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Originally posted by ear2ear
Maybe it was a trade:

Get Real involved with this and they'll release an OSX version on RealOne.

I know, I know. RealOne sucks, but there is simply too much available content on the web that requires Reals player.

Or maybe even better yet, Real will allow Apple to play .rm files in Quicktime.

Now we're talking.

There are other Real formats that cannot be played, many audible.com radio archives and audio books for example.

I would rather two of the players in the media player wars cooperate, than have to have three different formats boobytrapping each other-- this fighting has to effect the business model badly somewhere, both people streaming and the clients have plenty to complain about , the sales force must have a hard time going up against this to convince people to buy their engine at the cost of breaking the others.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: Re: OK?

Originally posted by arn

Well... perhaps - but it could be seen as the first step towards owning a Mac. A PC user gets exposed to the iPod - likes what he/she sees... hears more about Apple etc....

They have to know you exist first... :)

arn
Baby steps.

blakespot

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Everyone I have shown my iPod too has loved it! Unfortuneatly for them they are all PC users, maybe they're dreams have been answered :D .
Nice move Apple ;)

Andries

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2002
Johannesburg, South Africa
Mmm - I don't know about this rumor... Apple is truly embracing open standards of late - Java and J2EE, XML, and for multi media, obviously MPEG 4, MP3 (w ipod), rtsp and of course all built on (open source) Darwin.

Apple have always owned the complete user experience - i.e. Hardware and software. That is why we can see great, effective products such as the i suite flowing from the production mills in cupertino in no time at all.

Real has to keep things proprietary in order to make money and are therefore an unlikely synergetic (is that a word?!) partner.

Also - on PC's, Firewire or i-link is NOT well established at all, making the target market much smaller than what you may anticipate.

Too many loose ends here... :confused:

CHess

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2001
San Francisco Bay Area
I didn't think so a few months ago, but now I think this would be a really good move for Apple. However, I agree with those who think that Apple should not try to port iTunes over to the PC. iTunes is a free Mac app. It's one of the reasons buying a Mac is such a great deal. No reason to give it to PC users. Also, you're not going to get a Mac experience with it on a PC anyway, and why hire Windows programmers at Apple?

I think that a cooperative agreement with Real sounds best. Heck, even if their software IS clunky, what Windows app isn't? (No, I know there are good Windows apps out there... somewhere) Let Apple work out a deal to allow Quicktime to handle Real files. Sounds like a good trade, especially good for Apple.

So, you get PC users who go out now and buy iPods. They'll still be jealous of Mac users because of they'll only get a taste of the Mac experience. Eventually, more will switch :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.