PDA

View Full Version : Reviving a powerbook, is it possible?

worriedmac
Feb 8, 2008, 09:11 PM
OK the optical drive on my powerbook 17 1.5 has just decided not to function. Are the drive's for the powerbooks or would I be able to buy virtually any drive and put it in? Be greatful for any help, thanks.

gr8tfly
Feb 8, 2008, 09:18 PM
OWC has current, DL drives for your PB G4:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives/powerbook/

worriedmac
Feb 8, 2008, 09:26 PM
I forgot to mention I live in the UK. do you perhaps know the precise drive that I should be looking for? I can't find a spec readout from that link. I think its easier owning a mac in the US, more support.

yippy
Feb 8, 2008, 09:28 PM
You want to buy a Pioneer DVR-K06. That is the best optical drive you can put in it and it is a model that Apple has shipped with computers before so when you install it the drive will show as Apple Supported.

todd2000
Feb 8, 2008, 09:30 PM
I forgot to mention I live in the UK. do you perhaps know the precise drive that I should be looking for? I can't find a spec readout from that link. I think its easier owning a mac in the US, more support.

I don't know what the charges would be, but if you look at their shipping Info, it says "Air delivery times to Alaska, Hawaii, and Internationally will vary. ",

and

"Additional processing time may be required if the billing address is different than the ship to address of the credit card, the ship to address is international, or if an item ordered is not noted available to ship same day."

So they should ship to the UK

worriedmac
Feb 8, 2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks, that came back with a lot of results. I guess I just rip the bezel of the front to install. I was worried I wouldn't be able to fix this.

FJ218700
Feb 8, 2008, 09:41 PM
^^ I would suggest unscrewing the top panel and disconnecting the trackpad and keyboard before trying to rip it apart (unless you were just joking), the drive should be fairly accessible.

worriedmac
Feb 8, 2008, 09:47 PM
lol, careless with the words there. I meant the bit of extra bezel that comes on the drive. I've had the other drive out and you can see right into the mechanism. The retail drives you can't. I figure for it to fit in the extra bezel needs removing. Just a guess, I best have a good look at the drives first.

Its that black bit on the front.
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/CD%2FDVD+Drives/DVD-R%2FRW+Writer/Pioneer+DVR-K06+8x+Internal+Slimline+Slotload+Notebook+?productId=29405