PDA

View Full Version : I just bought a 1GHz eMac for $25 . . .

macaddict23
Feb 9, 2008, 01:33 AM
. . . only because the screen is black when powered on. I thought I'd make turn it into a project, but now I'm having second thoughts. It powers on, but there's no video.

1) I currently have a 800MHz eMac. Is it possible to pull the 1GHz motherboard and drop it in the 800 without any additional mods?

2) I also have a Cube with a stock Rage card. Will the Geforce2MX in the eMac work in the Cube?

3) The biggest thing is, I've never taken apart a CRT-based computer. I've heard stories about being shocked, etc. How do I go about taking this apart, safely?

4) I guess my other option is to use it as a head-less eMac and connect a VGA monitor.

I only spent $25, so no big deal. I'm just wondering what my best option is.

Thanks in advance for the help.

rogair
Feb 9, 2008, 05:13 PM
Check the S/N at apples site to see the est. purchase date. It it's within 3 years, then open the RAM door on the underside and check for bulging/split capacitors (metal cylinder the size of a multivitamin). If those 2 match up, then take it to an Apple store or an AASP. Could be a bad MLB.

Edit: There is a Repair Extension Program for eMacs that match that criteria. That's why I suggested you to check.

macaddict23
Feb 9, 2008, 05:50 PM
I'm aware of the extension program, and I did check the serial number on Apple's Support site. Unfortunately, it doesn't state the exact purchase date.