Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
Hello all,

Here is my situation: I bought a Mini 2.0 just before Christmas. My intention was to connect it to my HDTV to make it my HTPC. Well, it turns out that I don't really want that solution anymore. I tried it and I'm just not using it. It's too complicated and the Mac isn't getting nearly enough use.

I'd like to replace my XP machine in my Den with a Mac. So...

Do I sell the mini and get a 24" iMac or do I just by a 24" ACD for the mini?

It will be used for light photo/video editing, web surfing, email and MSOffice.

srichart1

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Florida
Mini

I'd keep the mini. Some of my best times were using a mac mini. I also have the 24" Imac. It is a nice machine, but doesn't have the charm that the mini does.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I'd get the iMac all in one solutions is nice and you don't already have a monitor, It's also a lot more powerful so seems like a good solution just make sure you get more ram unless your getting the extreme model.

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
Will the mini work ok with a large monitor?

Also, I don't mind updating the RAM in the mIni to 2GB, I just want to make sure it's powerful enough to run good phto editing software like Photoshop or Apeture.

seattle

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
I would get the iMac. I ran some iWeb tests before I bought my iMac at the Apple store and the Mini ran the tests in 12 Mins while The iMac did the same test in 6 Mins. I know it is not a great way to test but I use iWeb alot so I bought the iMac. I think the main speed issue is the hard drive.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
I'd go the iMac route - it's faster than the mini and is likely to be a better long-term solution.

To answer your question, though, the mini can drive larger LCD screens with a maximum of 1920x1200 res. That includes the Apple 23" , the Dell 24 & 27" screens and various others of similar spec.

bohrsatom

macrumors member
May 18, 2005
Hi Wingnut,

I'm interested to know why you changed your mind about using the Mini as a HTPC. It's something I've been thinking about spending a bit of cash on but havn't investigated the feasability of it (connecting my MB to my TV is pretty easy, so I assumed it would be just as simple)! Was it a hassle to set up or just a pain to use?

Regards

bohrsatom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.