Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
SMU Reset:

Shut down MBA, Then hold down the left shift key, left control key, left option key, press power button once. Let go of the other keys and wait 15 seconds or so. Then turn on your MBA.

Battery Calibration:

Charge fully, Run down your battery all the way into sleep, plug adapter back in and charge up fully

If you have battery issues, processor issues, fan issues, heat issues, these two things should solve your problems

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
I've already calibrated my battery and I have no issues with it.

If I do the SMU reset, will that mess up my battery calibration?

Thanks.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I did the SMU reset.... my battery is still showing 4:14 to charge and yet is at 55% charge ?

Will keep an eye on this one.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Talked with a genius today, we were trying to come up with conclusions. He also has a MBA. We both came to the conclusion these issues are software related, but can be tweaked to not conflict in the mean time.

Best solution thus far:

Playing around with SMU reset, best execution:

Shut down MBA, unplug power adapter, do SMU reset, turn MBA back on. Leave power adapter unplugged, test functions. Plug adapter back in, try SMU reset again but now with power adapter plugged in. Only do this part with adapter plugged in if first time wasn't a go. We also concluded the power adapter and restarts have a big thing to do with the performance and if you come to experiencing a bug like super speed fans, jittery video, overheating.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Explain "Test Functions". How do you know if this is working or not?

Looking at temps and fan speeds when you run different kind of videos, itunes, hd movies. Extended tests are best like 45 minute videos. Should not experience any stuttering. Also if you plug charger back in (assuming you need to charge it some) you should get more accurate estimates. When I got things back to normal I plugged adapter back in and after a couple minutes it said 2:11 to charge. As minutes went by it fairly accurately went down.

SCMedic

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
I ran a 1080p mp4 movie for the full two hours with a couple other apps open, and my fan sat around 3k, and temp around 61-65... I'm assuming this is ok considering all the other problems I've read about..No stuttering either.

I feel that a lot of the video issues are codec related... Hoping for a software update to fix.

My battery though shows 4870 or so out of a possible 5200.. What's the story with that? Is this a software issue?

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I ran a 1080p mp4 movie for the full two hours with a couple other apps open, and my fan sat around 3k, and temp around 61-65... I'm assuming this is ok considering all the other problems I've read about..No stuttering either.

I feel that a lot of the video issues are codec related... Hoping for a software update to fix.

My battery though shows 4870 or so out of a possible 5200.. What's the story with that? Is this a software issue?

Oh yeah definitely codec and video player related. They all perform differently. I love MKV because shows that I don't have in HD on my HD tv service I can download and watch when I get a chance. MKV should even be able to run fine, but just run pretty hot.

The battery thing I am convinced is software related.

I watch itunes downloaded tv shows too. So far though fan does go full speed on those sometime into the shows. I think it may also be because I'm also downloading through itunes more episodes of a season.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.