PDA

View Full Version : Installing Panther


Phil Of Mac
Oct 23, 2003, 10:33 PM
Well, just like most of you here, I'm gonna be getting some black ***** on Friday, so I'd like some advice about installing.

So far, the options I've heard are upgrade, Archive and Install, and clean install. What are the differences and is it really necessary to go through one of the more annoying types of installations? Or should I just go ahead and upgrade? I don't have any haxies or extra-special additions to the OS. I just have a pretty vanilla 10.2.8 on Kira, my 15" Powerbook G4. Advice?

TheWitePony
Oct 23, 2003, 10:36 PM
I just upgraded mine. However, I did not have any hacks or the like installed; in which case if I did I would have clean installed. Everything seems fine after the upgrade, and it saved me the hassle of backing up everything.

dukemeiser
Oct 23, 2003, 10:38 PM
I too was wondering the same thing. Right now I'm leaning toward Archive and Install. Is there any danger to Archive and Install? Is it selected by a special way? And what exactly will it archive, and what will I have to tend to once it's installed?

dynamicd
Oct 24, 2003, 12:20 AM
I'm just doing clean install and I'm in the process of backing everything up on dvd right now. I've just heard from the majority of people on this site that clean install is the best idea. Altough if you don't feel like backing anything up, or if you feel like you'll be all right, then archive and install or upgrade will be just fine.

ghengis
Oct 24, 2003, 01:01 AM
Can anyone please show us the steps on how to do a clean install? I need to backup my ipods as well... very new to apple OS. Pretty much don't know anything as of yet.

Please explain the steps for doing a clean install... please please please....

Thank you!!

-G

Mason
Oct 24, 2003, 01:14 AM
What's the difference between upgrade and archive and install? I'd rather not have to re-import 15gb of music from my cds and re-download all my music from iTMS. (I'm not too worried about my documents because those are all on iDisk).

Phil Of Mac
Oct 24, 2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Mason
What's the difference between upgrade and archive and install? I'd rather not have to re-import 15gb of music from my cds and re-download all my music from iTMS. (I'm not too worried about my documents because those are all on iDisk).

Upgrade: Just upgrades your system.
Archive and Install: Backs up your existing OS and installs a new, fresh one. Your filez are left untouched.

MacBandit
Oct 24, 2003, 01:29 AM
Okay for anyone new to Mac OSX. I highly, I repeat HIGHLY recommend either doing an archive and install without copying your settings over or....backup all your data and reformatting and installing.

This will ensure the least chance of legacy data causing problems and the best performance you will get from Panther.

There was a ton of people complaining about this or that problem and how 10.2 wasn't any faster then the precious OSX systems when it 10.2/Jaguar first came out. All these problems were cured with a clean install of the system. Learn from history. Besides if you don't backup it's time to learn how.

sethypoo
Oct 24, 2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Okay for anyone new to Mac OSX. I highly, I repeat HIGHLY recommend either doing an archive and install without copying your settings over or....backup all your data and reformatting and installing.

This will ensure the least chance of legacy data causing problems and the best performance you will get from Panther.

There was a ton of people complaining about this or that problem and how 10.2 wasn't any faster then the precious OSX systems when it 10.2/Jaguar first came out. All these problems were cured with a clean install of the system. Learn from history. Besides if you don't backup it's time to learn how.

Please explain how we are to backup? I'd like to do a clean install, but I have no clue as to how to backup Someone help? Also, I have a program called Safari Enhancer. Will this in any way screw up installing? Should I just delete/uninstall it before installing Panther? Thanks!

Phil Of Mac
Oct 24, 2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
Please explain how we are to backup? I'd like to do a clean install, but I have no clue as to how to backup Someone help? Also, I have a program called Safari Enhancer. Will this in any way screw up installing? Should I just delete/uninstall it before installing Panther? Thanks!

To backup, just copy all your vital filez (the ones you wanna keep) to a burned CD or an iPod or something. Be sure to save your mail as well by copying the Library folder *in your home directory*.

Blue Sky
Oct 24, 2003, 01:53 AM
Here is the link to the Jagua 10.2 Apple Knowledgebase about Archive and Clean Install...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

sethypoo
Oct 24, 2003, 01:57 AM
Where is this home directory.....I think I found it, but I'm not sure.

MacBandit
Oct 24, 2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
Where is this home directory.....I think I found it, but I'm not sure.

Your home directory is your user folder.

MacBandit
Oct 24, 2003, 02:03 AM
Well since I just got an email asking what should be backed up I thought it would be best to post it here so everyone knows what to back up.

There are a few things you need to make sure to backup just in case you want them later. First and foremost is your entire user folder and other user folders if there are any. Second backup any downloaded applications (shareware, freeware, etc.) you might have installed. Finally backup the library folder found on the first level of your hard drive.

That covers everything that you might want in the future. I recommend installing all the apps you have on disc from the original install discs.

sethypoo
Oct 24, 2003, 02:04 AM
In a Finder window I opened up it says my name, no caps, all one word (first and last name smooshed together), with a little house next to it. In the window it has icons that say "desktop" "movie" "public" "shared" "music" and so forth. Is this my home directory? will it fit on one CD?????

Sorry to be a pain about this but I just don't get it yet!

MacBandit
Oct 24, 2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
In a Finder window I opened up it says my name, no caps, all one word (first and last name smooshed together), with a little house next to it. In the window it has icons that say "desktop" "movie" "public" "shared" "music" and so forth. Is this my home directory? will it fit on one CD?????

Sorry to be a pain about this but I just don't get it yet!

The size depends mainly on how much music and photos and video you might have.

To find your user folder follow this route.

hard drive/users/

Any folders within the users folders. If you have multiple users there will be more than one. If you're the only user only your home folder will be within the user folder.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 24, 2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
In a Finder window I opened up it says my name, no caps, all one word (first and last name smooshed together), with a little house next to it. In the window it has icons that say "desktop" "movie" "public" "shared" "music" and so forth. Is this my home directory?

Yes.

Originally posted by sethypoo
will it fit on one CD?????

Probably not, but it might if you don't have many files on your computer.

Personally, if you really want to go the clean install route, I'd suggest you just do an Archive and Install, you don't have to bother with a backup then.

MacBandit
Oct 24, 2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
..........Personally, if you really want to go the clean install route, I'd suggest you just do an Archive and Install, you don't have to bother with a backup then.

People need to learn to backup. There's always the chance that an install can fail part way through and hose the disk.

The cheapest (in the long run) and easiest way of backing up I have found is to simply by another hard drive and to use it only for backing up.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 24, 2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
People need to learn to backup. There's always the chance that an install can fail part way through and hose the disk.

That's certainly true. But installer failure shouldn't cause data loss, should it?

MacBandit
Oct 24, 2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
That's certainly true. But installer failure shouldn't cause data loss, should it?

There's always a chance of a corrupted directory. Though fixable some people wouldn't have the utilities to do so and might in panic try to reinstall which would force a format thus losing there data.

sethypoo
Oct 24, 2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Yes.



Probably not, but it might if you don't have many files on your computer.

Personally, if you really want to go the clean install route, I'd suggest you just do an Archive and Install, you don't have to bother with a backup then.

I have a sizable amount of files; I assume that archive and install takes up lots of hard drive space, since I am copying everything to a "partition" in a way. After I archive, can I delete the archived portion? Or does it forever take up hard drive space? Thanks.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 24, 2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
I have a sizable amount of files, archive and install, I assume that archive and install takes up lots of hard drive space, since I am copying everything to a "partition" in a way. After I archive, can I delete the archived portion? Or does it forever take up hard drive space? Thanks.

You can delete the archived portion, yes.

Ironically, "clean install" used to mean "archive and install", not "nuke your whole hard drive". I'm starting to sympathize with the OS 9 Luddites on this issue...

MacBandit
Oct 24, 2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
I have a sizable amount of files; I assume that archive and install takes up lots of hard drive space, since I am copying everything to a "partition" in a way. After I archive, can I delete the archived portion? Or does it forever take up hard drive space? Thanks.

It doesn't put it in a partition. It simply puts the old system in a folder labeled previous system. You can delete it but only by changing the user permissions on the file in the get info box. It's a simple way of preventing deletion by anyone but the administrator. Also don't delete until you are absolutely positive you have gotten everything out of there that you want (mail prefs, bookmarks, etc.).

gotohamish
Oct 24, 2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
That's certainly true. But installer failure shouldn't cause data loss, should it?

"shouldn't" maybe.

"wouldn't" who can say?

I shouldn't imagine you want to be the one to find out and tell us about it.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm having a paranoia attack, but backing up is NEVER a bad thing.

sethypoo
Oct 24, 2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
You can delete the archived portion, yes.

Ironically, "clean install" used to mean "archive and install", not "nuke your whole hard drive". I'm starting to sympathize with the OS 9 Luddites on this issue...

And what is so wrong with just upgrading? What are the downsides?

Phil Of Mac
Oct 24, 2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
And what is so wrong with just upgrading? What are the downsides?

We don't get higher postcount by explaining how to backup :D

Just kidding.

MacBandit
Oct 24, 2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
And what is so wrong with just upgrading? What are the downsides?

Potential scads of system hangs and crashes. Also the potential of having lots of legacy code from 10.2 causing 10.3 to run much slower than it should.

sethypoo
Oct 24, 2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
It doesn't put it in a partition. It simply puts the old system in a folder labeled previous system. You can delete it but only by changing the user permissions on the file in the get info box. It's a simple way of preventing deletion by anyone but the administrator. Also don't delete until you are absolutely positive you have gotten everything out of there that you want (mail prefs, bookmarks, etc.).

Thank you. Thank you so much. You've singlehandedly healed my insomnia. Thanks!

MacBandit
Oct 24, 2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
Thank you. Thank you so much. You've singlehandedly healed my insomnia. Thanks!

I guess some things don't require a doctor.

Your welcome.

sethypoo
Oct 24, 2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
We don't get higher postcount by explaining how to backup :D

Just kidding.

Sorry, this just waaaaay important to me.
I'll slow down now.
Just so you know I am NOT one of those people who just posts and posts to get a higher "post count."
I had a question and it didn't get answered on the first post, so I asked until I had it cleared up. I don't want my entire hard drive to get wiped, so that's why I kept on asking.
I don't know much about "home directories" and backing up, but I know scads about iMovie and the editing process. I am pretty well versed in iTunes, Keynote, and iDVD. I know HTML code. That's as far as my knowledge of computers goes.....I have my wonderful little 12" Rev. A PowerBook all set up just the way I like it, I didn't want it to get ruined.
Thanks to MacBandit and Phil of Mac.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 24, 2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
Sorry, this just waaaaay important to me.
I'll slow down now.
Just so you know I am NOT one of those people who just posts and posts to get a higher "post count."

I know, I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the conspiracy of veterans here to make people like you ask more questions of us. AND YES, I AM INVOLVED! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by sethypoo
I had a question and it didn't get answered on the first post, so I asked until I had it cleared up. I don't want my entire hard drive to get wiped, so that's why I kept on asking.
I don't know much about "home directories" and backing up, but I know scads about iMovie and the editing process. I am pretty well versed in iTunes, Keynote, and iDVD. I know HTML code. That's as far as my knowledge of computers goes.....I have my wonderful little 12" Rev. A PowerBook all set up just the way I like it, I didn't want it to get ruined.
Thanks to MacBandit and Phil of Mac.

No problem, glad to be of help :)

Wardofsky
Oct 24, 2003, 03:27 AM
Hmm, well the first disc went fine, when I got to the second an error occured and I had to quit, but the 1st disc installed everything needed to run so I just rand disc 2/3 as program installers.

chewbaccapits
Oct 24, 2003, 04:41 AM
Phil and Bandit...nice job of kicking down the knowledge...I had a couple questions but you guys answered pretty much everything. See...this is why I love the Apple community..Very helpful...

Sabenth
Oct 24, 2003, 07:16 AM
Tell you what you dont get this with Microsoft iam still waiting for an answr to a problem i posted 7 months ago on one of there forums lo

mangoman
Oct 24, 2003, 10:28 AM
Thanks, MacBandito, for spreadin' the love. My copy of Panther should be here any minute. Good to hear the latest word on installing the beast...

Cheers,

mangoho

Blue Sky
Oct 24, 2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Okay for anyone new to Mac OSX. I highly, I repeat HIGHLY recommend either doing an archive and install without copying your settings over or....

Just for clarification...

By this do you mean to choose the option to NOT import your Home folder and user info at all?

Then what do you do? Just drag personal data files from your backup Home folder and not bring the Library folder with it's prefernces?

I want to do this correctly, and you seem to have a good handle on this, MacBandito.

TIA

MacBandit
Oct 24, 2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Blue Sky
Just for clarification...

By this do you mean to choose the option to NOT import your Home folder and user info at all?

Then what do you do? Just drag personal data files from your backup Home folder and not bring the Library folder with it's prefernces?

I want to do this correctly, and you seem to have a good handle on this, MacBandito.

TIA

Yes, at the very most chose the archive install option but do not chose the copy old settings and prefs. If you can backup all your data and chose the clean install to format the drive and do a completely clean install from the bottom up. If you chose the archive install copy over only what you need like your mail settings and bookmarks. Leave whatever you can set up manually in Panther. This prevents copying corrupted or old version prefs to your new system.

I know for some of you this sounds like a lot of work but the rewards are very great. Also the amount of work you might put in chasing down a bug that was caused by old data may be much greater then doing it right the first time.

Mason
Oct 24, 2003, 02:34 PM
I am thinking about doing a clean install - and the only two things I really care about backing up are my documents and my music on iTunes. My documents are backed up on iDisk and my music is on my ipod. If I wanted to go about doing a clean install, how would I get my documents and music back on my computer?

Thanks.

jxyama
Oct 24, 2003, 03:12 PM
good thread...

i have an ext. FW HD, so i will probably do a clean install. what i'm wondering is, do the iApps operate the same way as it does in Jag? for example, i can back up my iPhoto pictures by copying the entire "Pictures" directory to FWHD. when i drag back the Pictures directory from FWHD to replace the one created by panther when it's installed, will iPhoto recognize those pictures correctly?

other software are either freeware i can re-download or i have CDs for, so shouldn't be a problem. i'm just curious if the restore procedure as i described above will work or not...?

davetrow1997
Oct 24, 2003, 03:40 PM
If you have your music on your iPod, there is no "official" way to transfer it back to your computer directly from the iPod. I've heard there are some hacks, but I don't know about them.

So, in order to not lose your music (if you are doing a clean install):

Burn all your music to a CD or a DVD (this is a good idea anyway).

You can then reimport it into iTunes afterward... look at Apples iTunes help.. it strongly recommends backing up your paid for/downloaded music files (as the AAC files, not as audio CDs) because if you do have a catastrophic event, you'd have to pay for everything again.

If you've just ripped your own CDs on the other hand, all you risk is the time and effort to re-rip everything.

Hope this answers one of your questions.

mangoman
Oct 24, 2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Also the amount of work you might put in chasing down a bug that was caused by old data may be much greater then doing it right the first time.

I know das right. Tell da troof, now!

MacBandit
Oct 24, 2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Mason
I am thinking about doing a clean install - and the only two things I really care about backing up are my documents and my music on iTunes. My documents are backed up on iDisk and my music is on my ipod. If I wanted to go about doing a clean install, how would I get my documents and music back on my computer?

Thanks.

If you want to save your music you will need to copy your music to the iPod hard drive mounted on the desktop you can not do it with iTunes. iTunes only syncs one way to the iPod. It will not import music back into iTunes from the iPod. This is to prevent people from using the iPod to sync friends computers with their music.

Okay now that we have that clear. Once you have done the clean install simply copy your music from the iPod mounted on the desktop back to your user/music folder and in Backup go to the view menu and then choose restore from iDisk.

MacBandit
Oct 24, 2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by jxyama
good thread...

i have an ext. FW HD, so i will probably do a clean install. what i'm wondering is, do the iApps operate the same way as it does in Jag? for example, i can back up my iPhoto pictures by copying the entire "Pictures" directory to FWHD. when i drag back the Pictures directory from FWHD to replace the one created by panther when it's installed, will iPhoto recognize those pictures correctly?

other software are either freeware i can re-download or i have CDs for, so shouldn't be a problem. i'm just curious if the restore procedure as i described above will work or not...?

Use Apples Backup to save your pictures folder to your external drive and then use it to restore once you install Panther. This should subvert any possible conflicts. As a side note as far as I am aware iPhoto in Panther is exactly the same as iPhoto in Jaguar at this moment.

Mason
Oct 24, 2003, 05:30 PM
Well, unfortunately, before anyone here responded I got some bad advice that I could save all my music on my ipod and then transfer it back to itunes after the clean install. I know someone mentioned a hack to let one import music from the ipod - if one exists, I'd really appreciate know where to get it because I have music on my ipod that I will not be able to get again.

I'd appreciate any help anyone might have for me. Thanks.

Minus Blindfold
Oct 24, 2003, 05:56 PM
The only thing with me is I have over a gig of music and docs but no iPod. I'm guessing my best bet is to Archive and Install

sfleming
Oct 24, 2003, 06:23 PM
I'm a recent switcher (AC/DC) actually. Mac is different that's for sure. I really want to recommend "The Missing Manual". It has really helped me. I know nobody wants to slog through 700 pages of text but you don't have to. I read through the basic explanations of mac filing, organization, window views etc and underlined a bit as I went. That got me going pretty fast (and I had never used a mac even a little bit). Now after a couple weeks of getting a little lost and then digging my way out with the book to help me it's all becomming clear. I put taped tabs wherever in the book I find really good stuff.

This is the deepest I've ever gotten into ANY manual but my new powerbook has inspired me. Just as my Canon 10D inspired me to better understand it than any other camera I've ever had. I can't encourage the many newbies struggling, as is obvious from reading this forum, with their macs ... get the "Missing Manual" and start reading.

davetrow1997
Oct 24, 2003, 06:36 PM
http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/software/ipodrip.php

Here is one that allows you to transfer from the iPod to the hard drive.

Caveat: I've never used it! and it's not free... $9 USD

Mason
Oct 24, 2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by davetrow1997
http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/software/ipodrip.php

Here is one that allows you to transfer from the iPod to the hard drive.

Caveat: I've never used it! and it's not free... $9 USD

Thanks a lot! This worked perfectly - and it comes with 10 free uses so I didn't have to pay the $9.

:)

This was a lifesaver. Thanks again.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 24, 2003, 07:48 PM
Well, I just installed. I did the upgrade just because it was easier, not that I recommend it to others. Disc 3 is only used if you install "extra" stuff like X11. Other than that...wow. This is great :D

Mason
Oct 24, 2003, 07:55 PM
I did the clean install. I backed up everything I could on backup and then then got my music back off my ipod with that rip. So far, I think it's great. I love expose.

gmanrique
Oct 24, 2003, 09:11 PM
Another Upgrade/install question...

Before I ask, thanks for the great work at helping others. I guess we will do the same in the future, hopefully when Apple is back with, at least 10 % of the market in about 4 to 5 years. :)

Now the question: I read somewhere that some applications, such as iDVD are not included with Panther. Which means, they will require manual installation later. Is this true? Does Panther include all the applications from Jaguar? I bought my computer less than a month ago, so I do not have data to backup really. The files that I need I keep in iDisk and the stuff I have downloaded I can do it again. What I think could be a pain will be install Panther, then the misssing application (if any) from my Jaguar installation DVD.

Any comments or clarification will be much appreciated.

Thanks:)

TheAnswer
Oct 24, 2003, 09:21 PM
This is my first install under X where I don't want to mess with how my partitions are set up...so the question is if I choose the Clean install option is that going to wipe the entire drive clean or just clean off the partition with the system folder?

My home folder only has the library, a few files in the documents folder, then a bunch of aliases to the second partition and my other drives. I really don't want to touch that second partition because everything on there is exactly how I want it.

Thanks.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 24, 2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by gmanrique
Now the question: I read somewhere that some applications, such as iDVD are not included with Panther. Which means, they will require manual installation later. Is this true? Does Panther include all the applications from Jaguar?

It is true, however, as long as you upgrade instead of clean install, iDVD will continue to be there and will continue to work perfectly. I just tested this.

Originally posted by TheAnswer
This is my first install under X where I don't want to mess with how my partitions are set up...so the question is if I choose the Clean install option is that going to wipe the entire drive clean or just clean off the partition with the system folder?

My home folder only has the library, a few files in the documents folder, then a bunch of aliases to the second partition and my other drives. I really don't want to touch that second partition because everything on there is exactly how I want it.

It should only erase the partition you install on.

gmanrique
Oct 24, 2003, 10:03 PM
OK, Thanks. I guess I will upgrade and see how it goes. It will keep also all my network settings so that will be a lot easier.

Thanks again

valypan
Oct 24, 2003, 10:35 PM
A little note to anyone new to Mac, computers or who dont know or fancy knowing how to backup...I have been using the .MAC Backup program for a while now and it works great! It saved me a lot of hassles and it is thoroughly understandable also by newbies :)
Just my two cents :) Enjoy Panther all you out there cuz here in Denmark it has not arrived yet :(

Fender2112
Oct 24, 2003, 10:45 PM
I did the G5 upgrade earlier this evening and all went well except one gliche. It seems that when starting up from the install disk, my USB hub, which my keyboard is connected to, was not recoginized. I had to plug the keyboard into one of the built in USB ports. After that, all went well ... so far. :) Exposť is awsome to say the least. I think Exposť and Fast User Swithing are going to be my favorite features.

Superdrive
Oct 24, 2003, 10:59 PM
Times like this, I love .Mac :D. Backup made my truly clean install of Panther complete. .Mac bookmarks and iSync kicked in. Everything else came off my burned DVDs. Just another Apple recommendation. I have to tell my friends, I DO NOT GET PAID FOR THIS. ;)

gmanrique
Oct 25, 2003, 01:06 AM
To everybody who have contributed to this thread ... Thank you. I just love Panther. I did the Upgrade (come to think that it did not give the option to do an Archive ans Install), anyway it is just amazing. Fast User Switching and Expose are awsome. But also, please any iMac user correct me if I am wrong, the fonts are a lot sharper. It seems to take more advantage of the monitor resolution. A couple of bugs I used to have with Preview are gone. Also, Safari is way better. When I restart my computer, it takes less that 1/3rd of the time it used to take. I think I could not be happier with the upgrade (unless it were a Hardware upgrade.. G5 anyone :) ). Anyway it is just great.

P/ For the people having problems. One thing that I noticed was a recommendation to do a Disk Permissions Check/Repair BEFORE the upgrade or install, not AFTER it fails. I did this since yesterday after updating Quick Time and it did detected a whole bunch of problems. So I fixed those problems (using Disk Utility) and today everything has gone trouble free so far.

Again, I am Happy... I am a Mac user :)

Phil Of Mac
Oct 25, 2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by gmanrique
To everybody who have contributed to this thread ... Thank you. I just love Panther. I did the Upgrade (come to think that it did not give the option to do an Archive ans Install)

It doesn't give you options, you have to take them by clicking the "Options..." button. Are you man enough to take them?

sethypoo
Oct 25, 2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Upgrade: Just upgrades your system.
Archive and Install: Backs up your existing OS and installs a new, fresh one. Your filez are left untouched.

Ok, I've installed Panther with the archive and install feature, and I've found my "Previous System" folder. The only thing is, I never opened the folder.....all my settings were left untouched. Can I just delete the folder, or do I copy everything over again to my new home or what? Some help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Also, is the previous system folder taking up hard drive space? I used to have 39GB free, now I have about 36GB free, which is about right since Panther takes about 3GB of space to install.

Also, if I don't delete my Previous System folder, if I use File Vault, will it encrypt both home directories (new and old)?

Thanks!

Phil Of Mac
Oct 25, 2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
Ok, I've installed Panther with the archive and install feature, and I've found my "Previous System" folder. The only thing is, I never opened the folder.....all my settings were left untouched. Can I just delete the folder, or do I copy everything over again to my new home or what? Some help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Just let it sit as a backup in case something spontaneously combusts for awhile so you can go back to it if needed. You can delete it later if you find it unnecessary.

yosoyjay
Oct 25, 2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
That's certainly true. But installer failure shouldn't cause data loss, should it?

It could, or perhaps, part of 10.2 will be overwritten with 10.3 and it will stop for some reason. Then you have the boot options of 10.2 and 10.3, neither of which work.

This actually happend to me while I used the 'Upgrade' option while installing 10.3. I was eventually finally able to install 10.3 by doing the 'Archive' option and removing some of the languages I would never use.

sethypoo
Oct 25, 2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Just let it sit as a backup in case something spontaneously combusts for awhile so you can go back to it if needed. You can delete it later if you
find it unnecessary.

Ok, and if I were to delete it now, would I lose everything else in my new home directory?

Sorry if this is a "like duh" question, but if I encrypt with File Vault, does the Previous Systems folder get encrypted too?
Thanks.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 25, 2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
Ok, and if I were to delete it now, would I lose everything else in my new home directory?

Sorry if this is a "like duh" question, but if I encrypt with File Vault, does the Previous Systems folder get encrypted too?
Thanks.

Does your new home directory have all your old files?

sethypoo
Oct 25, 2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Does your new home directory have all your old files?

Yeah, it does. Is there a way to test if it actually does?

Is it reading from my Previous Systems folder?

sethypoo
Oct 25, 2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
Yeah, it does. Is there a way to test if it actually does?

I just wonder if it is just reading from my Previous Systems folder though.....

Phil Of Mac
Oct 25, 2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
Yeah, it does. Is there a way to test if it actually does?

If it does, you won't lose anything by deleting previous stuff.

sethypoo
Oct 25, 2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
If it does, you won't lose anything by deleting previous stuff.

I was going to delete a song from my Previous Systems iTunes folder, but I can't find on at all anywhere in Previous Systems.....

Phil Of Mac
Oct 25, 2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
I was going to delete a song from my Previous Systems iTunes folder, but I can't find on at all anywhere in Previous Systems.....

Yeah, that's because all your personal files and stuff aren't archived, they're just kept. Only the OS stuff is archived.

sethypoo
Oct 25, 2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Yeah, that's because all your personal files and stuff aren't archived, they're just kept. Only the OS stuff is archived.

Sooooo.....crap. I don't know what to delete to test it.
Any suggestions?
Lol, this is great.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 25, 2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
Sooooo.....crap. I don't know what to delete to test it.
Any suggestions?
Lol, this is great.

What would it exactly be a test of? *confused*

sethypoo
Oct 25, 2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
What would it exactly be a test of? *confused*

I'd just like to free up the 2.1GB of space my Previous Systems folder is taking up.....I am a avid movie maker, I need all the GB's I can get. I want to test what will happen to my new OS and home directory if I delete my Previous Systems folder. All my files are in my new home directory, ie, the ones I care about: movie files, iDVD files, iTunes files.....so on and so forth. I just am wondering what I will be deleting if I delete the Prevous Systems folder. Also, if I do delete it, I just stick it in the trash, and empty it, right?

Phil Of Mac
Oct 25, 2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
I'd just like to free up the 2.1GB of space my Previous Systems folder is taking up.....I am a avid movie maker, I need all the GB's I can get. I want to test what will happen to my new OS and home directory if I delete my Previous Systems folder. All my files are in my new home directory, ie, the ones I care about: movie files, iDVD files, iTunes files.....so on and so forth. I just am wondering what I will be deleting if I delete the Prevous Systems folder.

Your installation of Mac OS X Jaguar.

Originally posted by sethypoo
Also, if I do delete it, I just stick it in the trash, and empty it, right?

You should Get Info on it and change permissions so that you have the authority to do that first, but yes.

sethypoo
Oct 25, 2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Your installation of Mac OS X Jaguar.



You should Get Info on it and change permissions so that you have the authority to do that first, but yes.

Phil: you're great.

Patient, straight forward.....good to know that there is someone out there to help me out.

Maybe someday I'll be in your shoes helping someone else out in their OS installation problems.

Oh, wait, I just thought of another question.....shoot, it's too late to think.....

Anyway, thanks Phil. You've got my vote for the next MacRumors Demi-God or whatever is above your status right now.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 25, 2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
Phil: you're great.

Patient, straight forward.....good to know that there is someone out there to help me out.

Maybe someday I'll be in your shoes helping someone else out in their OS installation problems.

Oh, wait, I just thought of another question.....shoot, it's too late to think.....

Anyway, thanks Phil. You've got my vote for the next MacRumors Demi-God or whatever is above your status right now.

You're very welcome. Go ahead and feel free to ask me if you ever have any more questions. I enjoy the opportunity to help out others :)

sethypoo
Oct 25, 2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
You're very welcome. Go ahead and feel free to ask me if you ever have any more questions. I enjoy the opportunity to help out others :)

In my Previous Systems folder, I have a folder named Applications. In it are things like Internet Connect, Chess, Clock, Preview.....if I delete these by deleting the Previous Systems folder, will I loose them in my home directory?

Phil Of Mac
Oct 25, 2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
In my Previous Systems folder, I have a folder named Applications. In it are things like Internet Connect, Chess, Clock, Preview.....if I delete these by deleting the Previous Systems folder, will I loose them in my home directory?

Do you have current versions of these applications in your current Applications folder?

sethypoo
Oct 25, 2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Do you have current versions of these applications in your current Applications folder?

Lol, duh, I sure do! Just checked.

Phil Of Mac
Oct 25, 2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
Lol, duh, I sure do! Just checked.

Then go ahead and delete the old ones :)

foniks2020
Oct 25, 2003, 05:25 AM
I'd just like to reccomend some software to people out there who have an extra drive or partition available.

Carbon Copy Cloner is a wonderful app which can be used to create a perfect copy, a bootable copy of your entire system to a new drive or partition.

It is available on Versiontracker.

The benefit of this is that you can keep your existing system as a fully functional backup that you can boot into in case of unforseen disaster. It has many other uses as well... such as synchronizing backups and doing scheduled backups.

Good stuff. I'm using it now, right before doing a clean install of Panther. This way it is a last resort for finding whatever I may have missed or forgot in the upgrade process while still gaining the benefits of a clean install.

Good luck all.

Nutzoids
Oct 25, 2003, 03:58 PM
Wish me luck...I just got my copy now and will be doing a clean install when I get home in just 3 long pain-staking hours...(without work I couldn't have my toys!) But for now wish me luck...I would also like to know if anyone had any issues with a Graphite iBook 466?:p

Jack White
Oct 25, 2003, 05:45 PM
just a quick question, i want to do a clean install, but i've heard horror stories about panther deleting the contents of firewire drives...if i back it up to the FW drive, do a clean install and the drive goes, i've lost everything!

anyway...will doing a clean install remove OS 9 as well? don't use it much but would like to keep it around.

davetrow1997
Oct 25, 2003, 07:19 PM
A clean install will remove OS 9 unless you already have it on a separate partition.

Jack White
Oct 26, 2003, 04:53 AM
bugger