Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big dainjerus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
So how would I set up my studio. I am a total newbie in terms of setting up. Here is what I have (or will have) and would like to do:

Mac Pro (getting one)
Roland Phantom keyboard
Guitars etc
Two studio monitors
Logic Studio

I am a one man musicman so it is not important for me to record multiple things at once. Just a guitar (or two if a friend comes), and keyboard.
I am assuming the phantom would serve as my midi controller?

What interface would you suggest for me?

What would my chain be? Will I no longer be able to play my keyboard through the monitors and only through the computer? How does that whole things workout in terms of sound and playback through the computer to the monitors?

Sorry for the idiot questions just need some basics explained for me in terms of set up.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Yes, you can use the FANTOM (not Phantom) as your MIDI controller.

You get a Fantom editor which allows you to customize/select all your sounds through your computer, but they still output from the keyboard, and not directly into the computer.

So, if you want to record MIDI, you'll have to record the MIDI, then playback the MIDI information while recording the actual AUDIO from your Fantom, make sense? Then, mute the MIDI channel. You'll only need to do this at the end of your project for mix-down, or for adding effects etc.

I'd get an audio interface with direct input monitoring, so that you can then plug your audio interface into your speakers/mixer, and hear both the Fantom's direct sound, AND the sound from your computer, without any delay (latency). Make sense? And, maybe with 4 inputs (1 stereo/2 mono), so that you can record your keyboard and 1-2 guitars at the same time with your friends.

And yes, with this setup you would have to have your computer powered on to hear your Fantom through your speakers. The other option, if you want the Fantom to be independent of your computer when possible, then get a small mixer (2 stereo channels), and feed ONE of your Fantom's stereo outputs to it, with the other going into your soundcard. Then feed your soundcard output into the mixer too. Connect the mixer to your speakers. Make sense?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.