Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
we all know that the powerbook will go to G5, especially since the ibook is now at G4

will it happen at macworld sf, or will we see a g5 in a powerbook before the christmas season?...note, the revised 15" inch G4 aluminum powerbook just came out recently

predictions?

jonapete2001

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
i dont think the g5 will hit a power book untill it gets a die shrink. i dont think they could cool the g5 yet at least in its current form. Maybe they would lower the clock to cool it off. this is just my guess, maybe they have this all worked out.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Really not sure since the G5s do take a lot of cooling. But, of course, you never know what to expect from Apple, so maybe we could see a them in January.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Originally posted by jonapete2001
i dont think they could cool the g5 yet at least in its current form. Maybe they would lower the clock to cool it off.
Instead of a AlBook or TiBook, perhaps they'll make the case from dry ice. Be careful, it's cold!

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by stoid
Looking at http://www.apple-history.com you will see that both the iBook line and PowerBook line were G3's from shortly after the G4 tower was released until about a year later when the TiBook was released. I think that we will be waiting until next July at least.

This killed sales of the low-end PowerBook at the time (the 400MHz Pismo). The 466MHz iBook cost $1000 less than the 400MHz Pismo.

Personally, I'd like to see the G5 in laptops at MWSF. That would mean at the time I'm ready for a new laptop we might be at Rev. B already. :D

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
Originally posted by stoid
Looking at http://www.apple-history.com you will see that both the iBook line and PowerBook line were G3's from shortly after the G4 tower was released until about a year later when the TiBook was released. I think that we will be waiting until next July at least.

how does what they have done in the past have anything to do with what they will do now?

i was originally thinking around wwdc next year, but now i'm starting to think earlier next year.

and really, i don't know why everyone still thinks the G5 is an oven, no, it's really not, its not any hotter then the G4, and once the .90nm process comes out, it will be even cooler. the 9 fans are to keep it quiet, the massive heatsink is so there doesn't have to be a fan on top of the cpu. and there's only 1 or 2 fans in the processor cooling zone anyway.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by ibookin'
This killed sales of the low-end PowerBook at the time (the 400MHz Pismo). The 466MHz iBook cost $1000 less than the 400MHz Pismo.

Personally, I'd like to see the G5 in laptops at MWSF. That would mean at the time I'm ready for a new laptop we might be at Rev. B already. :D

for the time, the pismo still was worth the extra money

hot swap bay, larger screen, more ports...it was worth the difference

the 12 inch powerbook is still the much better machine, but for my modest uses, the ibook is a very compelling machine that can do everything, and more, that i would want in a portable

if money were no object, it would be a no brainer and i would get a 17 inch powerbook

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
Originally posted by jefhatfield
if money were no object, it would be a no brainer and i would get a 17 inch powerbook
:) Yeah, sure..
I would go for a 15"Alubook though.. I couldnt buy it just because Apple was so late to release it, and it was early July when I bought my 12"PB.. I'm not sure if a bit more resolution is worth to carry a much bigger notebook.. what do you think?

well, I expect the G5 PBs in early summer.. even late May maybe, so it will be a hot shot for the 2004 summer..

I dont know about the cooling of the G5 or the fans on it, but as much as I could see in the Stores, its not noisy at all.. maybe this is just because of the perfect insulation...

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
apple hit a home run with the ibook and the g4 getting put in it...i bet sales will go thru the roof on that one

apple hit a home run in the past with the tibook and the pc magazines loved that machine

if apple wants to put a lid on the competition and counter the successful release of centrino, which i admit is a good thing, then apple could wow us and the pc competitors with a g5 laptop at mwsf in january 2004

and if we hit 3 ghz by mid year 2004 on the g5 desktops, then many who don't know jack and who are sitting on the fence about their next machine, can finally see apple as "fast' enough to compete with the pc market...also apple will need to reduce prices

speed is not the main issue anymore and centrino has proved that...laptops are gaining superiority and thin and light with good battery times are the key here, not raw cpu clock speed...and thank god for the reduction in speed envy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.