PDA

View Full Version : iPod users get PDA features

MacBytes
Feb 9, 2008, 05:03 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: iPod users get PDA features (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080209180300)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Digital Skunk
Feb 9, 2008, 05:15 PM
Why not get a touch?

Nevermind... forgot that you would have to jailbreak that thing for this to work. I guess it's a good buy, but I just decided to get a real phone so that I could have all those features out of the box. Maybe some day Apple's engineers will get off of their arses and make software like the did back in the day.... the software for professional that ran on GOOD hardware that was competitive and not flashy.

zap2
Feb 9, 2008, 06:12 PM
, but I just decided to get a real phone...

I'm sorry, weren't we talking about the iPod here?

Digital Skunk
Feb 9, 2008, 06:34 PM
I'm sorry, weren't we talking about the iPod here?

We are, just giving alternative people may already have so they don't have to pay $20, like.... cell phones.

Besides... there is no input, just viewing.

nagromme
Feb 9, 2008, 09:02 PM
Maybe some day Apple's engineers will get off of their arses and make software like the did back in the day.... the software for professional that ran on GOOD hardware that was competitive and not flashy.

The iPod Touch and iPhone software AND hardware are VERY highly acclaimed, to the point where they have no close competition at all. They're worth a look--if you've written them off, you'll be surprised.

And if you're looking for additional software that does even more, remember that Apple is bringing that this month: the SDK.

Tosser
Feb 10, 2008, 01:44 AM
The iPod Touch and iPhone software AND hardware are VERY highly acclaimed, to the point where they have no close competition at all. They're worth a look--if you've written them off, you'll be surprised.

Haha, what a joke. The only thing that is "highly acclaimed" is the user interface. Not the hardware (with all the mention of faulty screens, very, very poor audio, no FM-chip, and in the case of the iPhone, no 3G and so forth) and the software? You mean the software that comes with it without paying extra? Where has that been "highly acclaimed"? On the contrary, it has been said all around that it is very limiting in all sorts of ways, such as not being able to connect to WPA Enterprise, WPA2 Enterprise or 802.1x?
[ADD: Or howsabout neither of the two having any sort of expansionslots? The lack of a CF-slot is understandable, but not any SDHC, or even a small-arse Micro-SD slot as most any other smart phone has?]

Or how about the fact that neither of the two does basic things like disk mode? Or the fact that many, many – actually too many to mention - features of real smartphones aren't anywhere to be found on the iPhone?
LOL, "highly acclaimed hardware and software to the point where they have no close competition at all". I think you need to look around. Hell, even with a mere 4GB of memory and no wifi (yes you heard right), the Serenata is a much better phone, with loads more features - useable even - than the iPhone. And in Euroland it's not even that much more expensive - even if the Serenata is bought without subscription (mind you, Bang & Olufsen have an even more focused "stay simple" approach than apple, yet it has better and more features.

I guess though, by "highly acclaimed" you mean "McDonalds have great food - otherwise so many people wouldn't be eating there"?

And if you're looking for additional software that does even more, remember that Apple is bringing that this month: the SDK.

Yes, as if the sdk will "fix" things like having to have a .mac account to sync your notes. You know as little as anyone else: All we know is that an SDK has been promised, and that it will propably come soon. How crippled do you think the SDK will be?

nagromme
Feb 10, 2008, 02:48 AM
Haha, what a joke.

Sounds like there are lots of phones out there that would stress you out less than the evil iPhone :D

Tosser
Feb 10, 2008, 02:54 AM
Sounds like there are lots of phones out there that would stress you out less than the evil iPhone :D

Haha, indeed. Well, to tell you the truth, Apple doesn't even sell it here. However, I am pretty sure it'd flop, if they tried. A fem thousand people would buy it, until the word spread on how limited that thing is, and that would quickly put a cork in the "smartness" of the phone.

Sijmen
Feb 10, 2008, 05:58 AM
Haha, indeed. Well, to tell you the truth, Apple doesn't even sell it here. [...]

Just wondering, where do you live?

Tosser
Feb 10, 2008, 06:02 AM
Just wondering, where do you live?

Denmark.

Sijmen
Feb 10, 2008, 06:37 AM
Here in the Netherlands I've seen quite a lot of people excited on the iPhone. At my last internship position (which ended two weeks ago), two people already imported one. A few other said they would buy when it gets released. So will I, probably—depending on the contract price and my financial position by then.

SimonTheSoundMa
Feb 10, 2008, 08:06 AM
Haha, indeed. Well, to tell you the truth, Apple doesn't even sell it here. However, I am pretty sure it'd flop, if they tried. A fem thousand people would buy it, until the word spread on how limited that thing is, and that would quickly put a cork in the "smartness" of the phone.
iPhone has been very poor in the UK. N95 and U990 have sold far better on O2.

Tosser
Feb 10, 2008, 02:14 PM
iPhone has been very poor in the UK. N95 and U990 have sold far better on O2.

Just as I thought. :D

jayducharme
Feb 10, 2008, 04:40 PM
I'm interested in the ZapTech software, actually, even though I have a Touch. The iPresent could be really beneficial to me. I e-mailed the company because it's not clear from their site whether their software works with the Touch, since it has no obvious disc mode. Perhaps they're one of the companies that's developing something in advance from the SDK.

zap2
Feb 10, 2008, 05:19 PM
Haha, indeed. Well, to tell you the truth, Apple doesn't even sell it here.
well you have some strong feelings for the iPhone not being for sale over there...I think owning it helps people see how it works....have you ever held one?

Tosser
Feb 10, 2008, 06:28 PM
well you have some strong feelings for the iPhone not being for sale over there...I think owning it helps people see how it works....have you ever held one?

Oh, haha, I see your argument: If I hold one in my hand, then the features and the crippling will be gone and I will of a sudden not want features.

That is like saying that I need to have lived in house XYP, in order to state that it's rather sketchy to build a house without heat or a bathroom, because if I had done so, I would "understand" that those things doesn't matter because the hall is nice, and boy isn't that ceiling wonderful.

To put it in other words: It doesn't matter if I have held it or not. The "wow" factor doesn't matter if it doesn't work as well as any other device. I am sorry, but here you need features to sell. I wonder if that isn't the exact reason Apple have chosen not to sell it here yet: It's simply not competitive.

Feb 11, 2008, 05:10 PM
Oh, haha, I see your argument: If I hold one in my hand, then the features and the crippling will be gone and I will of a sudden not want features.

He's right though. You will still miss certain features. And you will still complain, just as I do. But you will appreciate existing features and the exceptional interface much more. Quite possibly to the point of buying one. (and of course jailbreak and unlock to get at least some of the missing features)

Tosser
Feb 11, 2008, 09:04 PM
He's right though. You will still miss certain features. And you will still complain, just as I do. But you will appreciate existing features and the exceptional interface much more. Quite possibly to the point of buying one. (and of course jailbreak and unlock to get at least some of the missing features)

Excuse me, but he's not right (and by extension, neither are you): The wow-factor doesn't mean that lack of features all of sudden becomes non-arguments. The thing is, most of the features lacking are basic features and are Apple-tie-ins, so to speak. A cool interface will not make me buy an iPhone. The same goes for the Touch. I played with it, and, as expected, I really liked the interface. A lot, in fact. But the thing is, I never bought one, since the features lacking on that thing, just like the ones lacking on the iphone, are deal breakers. I didn't buy an Airbook, because the lack of features (and a glossy screen – one with a huge bezel, nonetheless) are dealbreakers as well.
You see, if you set certain standards, a fancy UI in itself won't sell. It's about not being a mindless consumer who buys anything new and shiny, simply because it is new and shiny.

P.S. I so much want to buy a Samsung audio player, but since it only plays MP3s and WMA* (no wav, no lossless), I don't. I am not going to sink my money into something that doesn't live up to my demands. Especially when said thing is crippled in order to tie you in with apple (or any other company).

*and some video formats, but I'm not really into videos, film and so forth.