PDA

View Full Version : Emac= legacy hardware

jonapete2001
Oct 23, 2003, 11:45 PM
Has anyone noticed the same emac(superdrive model) is now selling on the special deals of apple site.
Special Deals (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71308/wo/aE48XT0MubDw3HNsL6v1ZzGGPMl/0.0.7.1.0.5.13.0.3.0.0.0.0.3.1.1.0?98,54)

The thing that caught my eye is that they are calling the emac legacy hardware. Could the new lower price, just be their to clear inventory for a new model or am i missing something?

stoid
Oct 23, 2003, 11:49 PM
I wonder if with the rumors of a new iMac enclosure and all the problems with the CRT in the eMacs, if Apple is going to completely retire the CRT once and for all, and put flat panels in the eMac?

jonapete2001
Oct 23, 2003, 11:51 PM
I dont know what is going on. But i think this special deals section was just updated today. I think something must be up if they are listing "new unopened" emacs along side the new unopened g3 ibooks. Isnt the special deals section reserved for refurbished and accessory goods.

ScottDodson
Oct 23, 2003, 11:55 PM
Well, there could be probs. with the crt and all that other stuff. But I think it relates to the clearing of all the back stock of those units. Notice the ibooks are considered "Legacy" ibooks also?? Since they got the new G4 ibooks..they gotta' do something with all those G3's. I think the same goes with all those 800 emacs...gotta' make room for the 1GHz's.

jonapete2001
Oct 24, 2003, 12:00 AM
i know the g3 ibooks are considered legacy but the exact same g4 emac (1ghz) that had the price drop yeataurday is being called legacy hardware. I would kinda understand the 800 mhz emac being called legacy but not the current one still being sold at the apple store. It is also the same price as the current one.

stoid
Oct 24, 2003, 12:11 AM
Maybe it's another one of our increasingly popular apple.com tech flubs.

sparkleytone
Oct 24, 2003, 12:19 AM
Legacy just means that it can boot to OS 9 as well as OS X. Its (not so clearly) labeled as well as being a perfectly sensible explanation.

ScottDodson
Oct 24, 2003, 12:31 AM
hhhmmm, so why are the old G4 towers (1.25, dual 1.25) not considered Legacy (at least it doesn't say) at the Apple store??? They are OS 9 boot supported. Weird

jonapete2001
Oct 24, 2003, 12:32 AM
i called the apple store and asked them the difference. They basicly said their is no difference except the models not on the special deals section come with panther and the special deal ones come with jaguar. For the same price and same specs the jaguar models are not much of a deal. something still doesnt jive about their explanation.

The apple store guy didnt seem to know what he was talking about. I think we are in for an emac update.

ibilly
Oct 24, 2003, 01:43 AM
I am pretty sure that the 'legacy' refrence refers to the ability to boot into 9, like the g3 ibooks, mirrored door powermacs, and emacs.

voicegy
Oct 24, 2003, 01:58 AM
Apple's clearin' house on these eMacs...big time. Wait 'til January. ;)

jimthorn
Oct 24, 2003, 02:23 AM
Let's just see the eMac die already. CRTs are so 20th century...

voicegy
Oct 24, 2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by jimthorn

Ah...but they're still cheaper...which is attractive to the education market. It'll most likely be revised (perhaps a new form design) and keep the CRT for a while yet...but, yes, the price gap continues to get smaller as the months go by...

orl2222
Oct 26, 2003, 03:31 AM
I have a Emac, and it's a fantastic machine. The "so 20th century" CRT is brighter and easier on the eyes to this "old" 43 yr. It has a sound input jack, which the Imac does not. If you look at the August issue of Mac Addict, you'll see that out performs a simular equiped Imac. It may not be a new shiny powerbook, but it just plain works, and at a very reasonable price. Put it this way, I could afford any Mac I wanted, but I fell in love with the Emac. Plus, you never have to worry about a dead pixel!

Independence
Oct 26, 2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by jimthorn
flat panel displays are too expensive. until the prices of flat panel displays are lowered a great deal, CRTs rule.

benixau
Oct 26, 2003, 07:01 AM
actually the death of the emac would be bad. (all in AU$)

eMac 1GHz w/17" CRT Screen @ 1280x768 = $1300

iMac 1Ghz w/15" LCD Screen @ 1024x900 = $2300

If i were a broke student i think i know which machine i would be getting

themadchemist
Oct 26, 2003, 12:02 PM
Here's the deal...The top model in special deals is exactly the same, except for dual boot and no panther. And it's the same price. So it's pretty much a rip-off. (If you REALLY need OS 9, you could just partition your 80 GB hard drive and take your old nine cd and install it on the partition).

The second one has the same OS situation, but is also an incredible rip-off. Moreso than even the top model. Basically, it's the same as the bottom model "new" eMac hardware-wise, but with a 60 gig hard drive. You only pay fifty bucks more for the sixty-gig, but check this out! For fifty bucks extra, you get an 80 gig instead of a 40 gig onthe new ones.

The cheapest one is really impressive on Apple's part. It really IS an old model, with an 800 MHz processor. It's got a 40 gig hard drive and a straight cd-rom drive, but is otherwise the same as the rest of the models. I think this might be a good deal for those who need a pretty bare-bones computer.

So you've got two inexplicable rip-offs and one half-way decent deal.

Moral of the story? When you buy a Mac, look for discounts because of special status ("developer," "student," "dictator"), but remember that there is no such thing as a "special deal" or a "bargain" without a hitch...Or an outright stupid price.

bennetsaysargh
Oct 26, 2003, 08:52 PM
the eMacs are great machines. they are no longer the educationMacs, they are now the economicMacs.
as far as i am concerned, the eMacs are economic. they have a lot of similar specs. they are good for people on a budget, which many people today are.

now we need an eBook to get the sub 999 market in laptops. that is where i think the Gobis come in.

tpjunkie
Oct 27, 2003, 04:39 PM
Perhaps a more functional resurrection of the old eMate?

bennetsaysargh
Oct 27, 2003, 07:59 PM
exactly! we really need this. if this happens, they can start competing price-wise. then there will be 3 sets of computers in apple's lineup.

by the way, how much id the eMates cost?

ScottDodson
Oct 29, 2003, 08:45 PM
As if it doesn't get more confusing:

First the whole idea behind Legacy is scetchy (Dual boot?? why aren't the old g4 dual boot's considered legacy), the mysterious call from a macrumors member, with no definite answer from apple......and now this.....according to the apple website the "legacy" machines are not called that anymore. They are now under the term "Previous Generation". And for god's sake, why aren't the dual boot G4's considered "previous generation".

....blech, I give up.