Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple has posted Keynote 1.1.1 to the Mac OS X Software Update:

What's new in Keynote 1.1.1

Keynote 1.1.1 improves stability and includes several user experience enhancements including a preference to control cube and flip transition clipping individually.

Mac OS X version 10.2.8 or higher is required with Keynote 1.1.1.

dbally

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2003
After years of using PowerPoint, I thought Keynote was great as it was . . . who knew it could get any better! :)

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I can't tell what is different playing around with Keynote, and the description of the enhancements don't help either.

Can anyone explain?

Thanks.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Originally posted by dbally
After years of using PowerPoint, I thought Keynote was great as it was . . . who knew it could get any better! :)

The application itself is great but I could always use more themes. And if they could also add lots of animated elements and animated backgrounds that would be a great improvement too. Oh, and they could add the ability to burn your presentations as VCD's or DVD's.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
to reply to the previous post, it is not that hard to export into iDVD from keynote, seeing as how you can save as any quicktime format.

on the subject of the update, I am thrilled that these updates are coming along, because Keynote is a damn good program now, and can only get better (and more powerful). long live the Key!;)

pbooker

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2003
Canada
Automatic slide transition?

Any word as to whether they've finally added timed slide changes - as in, changes slides every 5 seconds?

Or am I just missing something that's there already?

Java

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Marin County (where else?)
31 meg download?

Yikes, this is a big download. Not that I am too concerned with having a cable modem access, but it is still a large download. Oh well, downloading it now.

JoeRadar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
Room for improvement

Originally posted by dbally
To a great extent I live on presentations (what one sponsor once called "viewgraph engineering"), and I was very happy to switch to Keynote. But I believe it could get a *lot* better.

(1) Stability -- Keynote has crashed on me several times. Hopefully 1.1.1 will fix some of these issues.

(2) Drawing -- The ability to draw diagrams leaves much to be desired. This is particularly amazing considering the ease and power of Cocoa/Quartz for drawing stuff like bezier curves. Perhaps Apple should consider licensing something like OmniGraffle.

(3) Speed -- The performance can be very slow, especially if you have moderately complex PDF images in a slide. For example, pasting diagrams from OmniGraffle that include the firewall clipart *really* slows down Keynote. I have generated my own PDF from Cocoa, and it also slows down Keynote.

I do enjoy Keynote, but there is room for improvement. Now I am just waiting to replace Word.

catdog02481

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2003
Boston, MA
Yeah, but I still can't figure out how to rotate text in Keynote, which is trivially done in Powerpoint... Also why doesn't Keynote allow you to do dynamic resizing of the presentation i.e. from 800*600 to 1024*768 while maintaining centering etc. Finally when you import presentations from Powerpoint it does not seem to allow you to choose the size into which they are open and if you set a size of 1024*768 then everything if off-center. Great piece of software but still not there yet... :(

orb

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
Originally posted by catdog02481
Yeah, but I still can't figure out how to rotate text in Keynote, which is trivially done in Powerpoint...

Rotate text? As cmd-click on a text item's box to rotate it? This doesn't work on titles, but it works fine on normal text....

JoeRadar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by orb
Rotate text? As cmd-click on a text item's box to rotate it? This doesn't work on titles, but it works fine on normal text....

Its one of those "hidden" features. ;)

Also, there is Command-Shift-drag handle for rotating object by increments of 45 degrees.

Apple could use a little better documentation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.